An idea I like, which may be something just only tickles me and isn't popular among others, is making the second Big City a subterranean one.

And even better, putting it at the bottom of a dungeon, so that rather than receiving a cool new sword or whatever by killing the dungeon boss, you instead get access to the city.

And so the obvious connection here would be to put this city at the bottom of the mega dungeon.

That's something I would think of as being very cool. Just wanted to see if anyone else liked the idea.

Well many players would not get to the bottom of the mega-dungeon, so that wouldn't work, but the idea itself is cool. I actually prefer it to the ye olde "here's a city and here's a big dungeon beneath the city".

No. Someone suggested this in a different thread too, and my feeling this would be a bad idea is the same: Mega dungeon crawls, while I like them fine, definitely aren't for everyone in a game of this breadth; many are looking for the broader exploration themes of BG. Locking a big city content behind an optional dungeon crawl isn't the best way to go about it. (And boss->loot mechanics can get boring for me, but I play an MMO on the side so I expect a whole lot more from PE.)

Added: Tigranes' suggestion for an under-dungeon below the city would be nifty.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

It could still be an underground city, although definitely not at the end of The Endless Paths. That would be crazy, I think big cities should be easily reachable for all players. After all, big cities are so because, among other things, they are accessible :)

• Like 1

I do like the idea of an underground city, but only if it makes sense in the context of the campaign they are planning.

Maybe a sunken city with a lot of mysteries? Perhaps the original builders have left, and the remains have been re-occupied by others? Putting the city in a large cavern is probably better for the artwork. There could be an underground lake around the edges.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would prefer a city built into a mountain. Part of the city in the foothills, part of it carved into the rock face, and part under the mountain itself. Think Minas Tirith with half of it spread out more on the bottom and within the mountain itself. You could even have the underground lake inside the mountain spilling out the side with a river running through the city.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like the idea of the underground city, but as others have pointed out... not at the bottom of the dungeon. What I really would like the "second big city" to be very is... culturally different to the "main big city". A completely different architectonic style, different costumes, different traditions,... at least as different as Baldur's Gate and Ann.

I am one of the guys that definately is not a dwarf and doesn't really like it when I have to spend too much time underground in a game. We already have a megadungeon with in the end 10+ levels and I am sure there will be a lot of other dungeons in the game, so I would like it to have most cities and villages at least on the surface.

We will have enough dungeon crawling, I would rather have the second city to have an above ground location. Nothing worse than travelling from quest locations back to the hub and the hub is as dark and dreary as the place you just left. We are not short on locations that would provide a interesting an unique place to explore.

Mountian side

Floating Island

Vast Forest

Connected Islands

The list could go on and on, but what I think is most important is for the city to have a new culture.

Edited by Aedelric
  • Like 1

"ell many players would not get to the bottom of the mega-dungeon, so that wouldn't work"

What kind of silly talk is that? I bet most players who like the game will reach the bottom of the dungeon. It would be a great idea.

But, anyways, I second having it be an underground dwarven city. I loved the one in DA. Cool stuff.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

We will have enough dungeon crawling, I would rather have the second city to have an above ground location. Nothing worse than travelling from quest locations back to the hub and the hub is as dark and dreary as the place you just felt. We are not short on locations that would provide a interesting an unique place to explore.

Mountian side

Floating Island

Vast Forest

Connected Islands

The list could go on and on, but what I think is most important is for the city to have a new culture.

I don't think a cave/underground city has to be a dark dreary place necessarily, combination of light getting in at some areas, water pools, and of course, magic, could make for quite the city.

I much prefer cities to be above ground. I think there's more than can be done with them than underground, plus you can have other stuff beneath the city and end up with a nice combination of indoors, underground, and outdoors. If you have it underground then everything is the same.

I don't think a cave/underground city has to be a dark dreary place necessarily, combination of light getting in at some areas, water pools, and of course, magic, could make for quite the city.

Apart from the fact no game has managed to make it anything other than dark and dreary.

No, please not again. We had a Drow underground city in BG 2, that' not an innovation.

I would like to see a real big Elven city as 2nd city, or best: an Elven city on the top of a mountain with a Dwarven city beneath IN the mountain.... ;)

35167v4.jpg