How much Grimdark would you like in your P:E?

I tend to find the term 'grimdark' itself lends more towards the idea of perceived maturity, without really being mature. A preteen's idea of maturity.

In terms of seriousness, I prefer a balance. I love me some weighty drama and don't mind a bit of perversion as long as it's not just tossed in as shock value, but I also want some lighthearted moments as well. If you're drowning in darkness the whole time it tends to blunt the effectiveness of it.

• Like 3

No happy endings, no winning, no good guys, endless fields of decapitated and disembowelled ponies. The glib tongues of those prone to infantile witticisms lying beneath my armoured boot, the severed wings of angels stitched into my cloak of human flesh. The moaning of the violated forming a dirge as they are slowly impaled, cthuloid horrors gibbering and feasting in the shadows, civilisation torn down, burned and ground to dust.

And above my throne a banner waving in the wind bearing two monolithic runes: EA.

Nah, i'm fine with Dead Money level of Grimdark. Nice moral quandaries and people being their own verminous selves.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

For ME? It still wasn't a dramatic tonal shift (save for the ending) nor particularly dark.

DA, especially the 2nd one. I don't know how much Hepler was involved in the first one. And she wasn't involved in ME3, though her husband was.

Edited by kenup

On its own horn?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I don't know, how dark would a combination of Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Swords, a dash of Diablo II, Witcher II, topped off with a scoop of pumpkin pie ice cream be?

edit: And no, I'm not implying some of the fantasy titles listed are "dark" in anyway.

Edited by Syraxis
  • Like 1

Grimdark for the sake of being Grimdark is pretentious as all hell, the world doesnt have to be all dark and gritty to tell a good story. Considering Obsidians previous offerings I dont think we need to worry about the tone being right.

Edited by diablo169

I couldn't sympathise with the DA people, all their problems were based on being stuck in their way of thinking, even my main characters "choice" to join the greywardens was one I would not have made. that and the game was riddled with design flaws.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The DA series was most definitely Bioware's 'darkest' attempt

As I said at the time, Dragon Age was about as tame as a Mid-West Ren Fayre.

If having to do battle with the man who brutally murdered your mother while her twitching, reanimated, stitched together corpse stumbles about the battlefield is tame to you, I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy anything you actually think is hardcore.

pyp6.jpg

The DA series was most definitely Bioware's 'darkest' attempt

As I said at the time, Dragon Age was about as tame as a Mid-West Ren Fayre.

If having to do battle with the man who brutally murdered your mother while her twitching, reanimated, stitched together corpse stumbles about the battlefield is tame to you, I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy anything you actually think is hardcore.

That was the most hilarious part of the game, I immediately started singing Thriller when zombiemom appeared, god that was dire. Still good laugh.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I think we may have different definitions on what we're trying to talk about. The DA series was most definitely Bioware's 'darkest' attempt, but they were still fairly light all things considered.

The problem was with the force feeding. The crazy dwarf before the Broodmother was great. The Broodmother and the Mother from the expansion were just disturbing BS. The Dark ritual was fine, but why show the sex scene if no romance(or even if it was) was involved. They focused on the "visual" part of Show in "Show don't tell", when that means more than graphic violence, sex and **** hanging off some fat tentacle monster.

But whatever, It had good moments, it just fell flat in cases like these.

Edited by kenup

I do think its too easy to say 'it should depend on the region or player choice or insert other thing here'. Eventually such choices and regions add up, with the sum total of grimness vs. cheer marking where the game as a whole lands on the scale. The very existence of clear-cut player choices which end with everything turning out really well and all set to right marks a pretty sharp shift towards the fluffier end of the scale, while the lack thereof marks a shift towards grimness.

Anyone ever play the game Drakengard?

hfI9z.png

I hope not. That game was ****ing awful. But it's also my go-to example of "this is some dark ****, yo".

The main character gradually descends from "last hope of a defeated nation" to "homicidal monster". Your allies are pedophiles and cannibals. The sky itself breaks open, sending and a limitless horde of voracious fetuses into the world to devour its inhabitants.

uu5L5.jpg

And the weapons! There was this huge emphasis on collecting weapons, and they all had their own elaborate and pointlessly nihilistic backstories.

Ba64o.jpg

Unfortunately, the game was awful. Looked terrible, had a nonsense plot, was grindy as hell, and just didn't play well. It had a sequel that did nothing to improve the gameplay and replaced the charmingly omnicidal protagonist with the most generic JRPG **** you'd ever meet. The PS3/360 game "Nier" is also a pseudo-sequel to Drakengard and is actually a legitimately good game with mostly-not-terrible gameplay, a coherent plot, and some of the most depressing **** I've ever encountered in the New Game+ section. Sadly, the developer folded shortly after the game came out.

• Like 1
jcod0.png

I do think its too easy to say 'it should depend on the region or player choice or insert other thing here'. Eventually such choices and regions add up, with the sum total of grimness vs. cheer marking where the game as a whole lands on the scale. The very existence of clear-cut player choices which end with everything turning out really well and all set to right marks a pretty sharp shift towards the fluffier end of the scale, while the lack thereof marks a shift towards grimness.

See, but I don't see why the existence of a path where things turn out well somehow negates the legitimacy of a path where things don't turn out as well. It's like saying the existence of light-side paths in KOTOR and KOTOR II means the dark-side paths aren't viable. Why? I've never found it to be true. I DO feel it when there is no light side path, as well as when there is no dark-side path. How does the option to choose automatically make it light-side?

pyp6.jpg