How much Grimdark would you like in your P:E?

On a scale of...say, My Little Pony on one end and Warhammer 40K on the other?

I suspect both of those two extremes will only appeal to a minority, but the fact is that P:E will have to land somewhere on the sliding scale of gritty vs. fluffy.

What's Grimdark?

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I don't mind dark, so long as it doesn't feel like some hackneyed attempt by the developer to demonstrate just how edgy and emo they can make something. That said, I favor a world where my hero has some mud stains on the fringe of his cloak and he gets helmet hair.

I guess I fall somewhere about here:

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic_181668_top.jpg?cache=1347077497

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

[X]

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

big_icon.png

0, Fluttershy :cat:

Seriously though, I would like it PS:T or MoTB with a bit more maturity.

What's Grimdark?

Darker and Edgier

Meh. Along PS:T lines for me. I mean, I expect some darker themes as well, but there comes a point where "mature dark edgy!" from that trope becomes so ridiculous and then rounds the corner straight into boring for me. Consoles. :p ~Whatever~

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

region specific. I want to be able to relax back in my nations' fair capital after having cleared an enemy infestation in the pit of despair.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm definitely farther towards the MLP:FIM side of the scale. But I think games should be designed where the grimdarkness of the world is in part an extension of what your character does. You want to be the shining knight who saves the world and winds up president of the New Republic? You can do that. You want to be an ends justify the means tyrant who does whatever is necessary to rise to power and then enforces his will on the world with a blood-soaked fist? You can do that too.

But a lot of it should come from the player. Enforcing endless no good choices dilemmas, to me, is just as empty as magical happy solutions to all problems.

• Like 2
pyp6.jpg

Neither Bioware nor Diablo III is even near Grimdark. But all I care about is that it is well-written. MotB wasn't that dark, but it was fantastic! But Planescape often had it just right. Hmm, difficult...

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think bang in the middle, with elements of both. Just keep those elements in separate parts of the world so the mood changes by location. Fantasy should have wondrous, enchanting locations but a mature game will need dark, depressing and haunting locations too.

i need to search 4chan for a suitable image

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Has Bioware ever even attempted to do a "Grimdark" title?

They marketed DAO as "dark fantasy", if my memory serves.

Which basically meant that everything got splattered in really awkward looking blood.

EDIT: Though they did start going the body-horror route with the brood mother, I'll admit.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

*A Tone Shift that seeks to make a work of fiction "more adult". Usually, this is practically interpreted as "add more sex, profanity, heavy violence, and controversial content".*

As much as possible.

I grew up in the supposed Dark Age of Comics. If there was anything I learned from that era, it is this:

More sex, violence, profanity and 'controversial content' =/= more mature. Not unless your definition of 'mature' is that of a 13 year old boy. Sex, violence, profanity, and 'controversial content' is only adult when used proportionately and appropriately to advance the story or give the world character. If you just shove lots of T&A and people exploding into bloody gibs left and right for the sake of it, then regardless of whatever rating is slapped on it, your game/comic/whatever is actually less mature for it.

• Like 8

Has Bioware ever even attempted to do a "Grimdark" title?

Mass Effect 2 and 3? (I didn't finish the last one, but ME2 would probably fall under the definition). DAO and DA2 also had a lot of grimdark elements.

Which basically meant that everything got splattered in really awkward looking blood.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Edited by Lysen