I love Cloth Maps but, frankly, the one being offered is terrible

OP: If you look closer at the reward tier for 140$, you will see that it doesn't just include a digital copy of the game, an in-game item and a cloth map. It also includes stuff like a boxed collectors edition of the game, a t-shirt, digital soundtrack, beta access,campaign almanac and some other stuff. All those things are not valued at 0$, which might sound crazy to you, but it's true. Also, early concept art does not equal the final product. And lastly I think the first map you showed actually looks worse than the current P:E map, although I admit that just a matter of personal preference and highly subjective.

I also got an old Baldur's Gate paper map, city on one side and the Sword Coast on the other side, and it looks awesome. So I expect something of similar quality for P:E.

For the record, the ancient Britons were well aware that Britain was not "the world," they may have known their ancestors came from mainlaind Europe and they were certainly in contact with the mainland, maintaining trade with the Gauls and their ilk.

As the name "Briton" suggests, probably from Roman influence, too. For it also depends on how much knowledge is shared with other cultures. Likewise, If there are monks, they must know there are other places in their world, I guess. However, that is remained to be seen if any culture has an ability to write precise maps without any unexplored areas. Even at the Caesar' time, Romans didn't recognize Scandinavian peninsula as a peninsula. Related with this, I'm also wondering if there were ancient culture which played like ancient Greece anc Roma in this world.

Not to impressed with the Britannia map, but the PE map needs it's whole river system redone. Don't know of any singular river systems that empties on so many coastlines.

This was mentioned in many places and I think Sawyer is awre of the issue.

In any case, the PE world seems to be on the make, so, rather than criticizing, how about just relaxing and making some feed backs?

[Edit]Talking of "on the make", the designers may like to introduce some "in-world" materials when they are unsure of what they are going to do. Since they are "in-world", there are possibilities of misunderstanding or biases from the view point of the writers/painters. The designers can adjust these things even after releasing them.[/Edit]

Edited by Wombat

So what you are saying is no one is allowed to offer criticism of anything. Then you go all apple fanboi and accuse people of "nerdrage". Next you will be accusing people of being haterz. Sigh. I don't think anyone was attacking Josh for his map or the game. They (including me) were just saying there is some flaws in the map at the moment that could be improved.

It's all a matter of the tone (wording) you set when criticize someone, and the tone in the OP post feels a lot more like nerdrage than constructive criticism. If you take a look at other topics here, there a quite a few that criticizes various part of the game or earlier games, the ones with a more constructive tone usually fare better.

I think it's a good idea for any criticism on this project to be heavily tempered by the fact that we are only seeing the very beginning of this game. Bobby Null confirmed that the current map is just a mockup. Most of the rest of the game is also at that stage. The second thing that you have to remember is that kickstarter is not a store. The Collector's edition and the cloth map and such that you get at the $140 tier are all thank yous, not purchases. If you want all these things for what they should cost, wait until the game is up for sale.

I understand why someone wouldn't get these things right away. This way of doing things isn't the norm. The public usually doesn't see these projects til they are nearly complete. This is something newcomers should try to understand and people already here should understand when dealing with people noticing P:E for the first time.

So what you are saying is no one is allowed to offer criticism of anything. Then you go all apple fanboi and accuse people of "nerdrage". Next you will be accusing people of being haterz. Sigh. I don't think anyone was attacking Josh for his map or the game. They (including me) were just saying there is some flaws in the map at the moment that could be improved.

What I am saying is that people should offer criticism appropriately and where criticism is unnecessary actually ask for information.

This thread is called "I love Cloth Maps but, frankly, the one being offered is terrible", if you think that is valid criticism when we don't even know if the map is just going to be straight up printed onto cloth or not then I doubt your ability to offer valid criticism on anything.

The OP goes on a rant over something that isn't even announced, with zero information except his own assumptions.

If he had of just asked for information we would all have it and then we can offer valid criticism.

So yes I would call that nerdrage, uncalled for and worthless to the forum as a whole.

Show me the World Map!

OK. (Sawyer has hinted that this may not be, in fact, the actual world map.)

ProjectEternity_11216_640screen.jpg

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I think it's a good idea for any criticism on this project to be heavily tempered by the fact that we are only seeing the very beginning of this game. Bobby Null confirmed that the current map is just a mockup. Most of the rest of the game is also at that stage. The second thing that you have to remember is that kickstarter is not a store. The Collector's edition and the cloth map and such that you get at the $140 tier are all thank yous, not purchases. If you want all these things for what they should cost, wait until the game is up for sale.

I understand why someone wouldn't get these things right away. This way of doing things isn't the norm. The public usually doesn't see these projects til they are nearly complete. This is something newcomers should try to understand and people already here should understand when dealing with people noticing P:E for the first time.

I think it's bad advice to tell people to just wait for a retail release because I seriously doubt that there is going to be a retail release with all the physical items aside from the digital content.

*shrug* it says 'The World' because it was created explicitly to be placed in the Kickstarter page, under the description of 'The World'.

If you're going to complain about such minutiae, that's not a problem, but it means you gotta look up all the information before you rip on it.

• Like 1

*shrug* it says 'The World' because it was created explicitly to be placed in the Kickstarter page, under the description of 'The World'.

If you're going to complain about such minutiae, that's not a problem, but it means you gotta look up all the information before you rip on it.

I thought it said 'The World' because they have yet to come up with a name for the game, or at least I remember that conversation somewhere.

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kickstarter is about funding, not about rewards..... :yes:

If you don't think that PE is worth your money than don't pledge or don't pledge that much. But it's ridiculous not to pledge a certain amount because the cloth map isn't as cool as someone might expect even if it's not even the final design..... :getlost:

• Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Kickstarter is about funding, not about rewards..... :yes:

If you don't think that PE is worth your money than don't pledge or don't pledge that much. But it's ridiculous not to pledge a certain amount because the cloth map isn't as cool as someone might expect even if it's not even the final design..... :getlost:

In one of the updates Josh (I believe) apologized about the map and said that it's not the final design. So I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about :( we haven't even seen the real map yet.

Forgot to add, I agree with what you said :p

Edited by Loranc

I thought it said 'The World' because they have yet to come up with a name for the game, or at least I remember that conversation somewhere.

Kickstarter Q&A with Feargus, Oct 12

Question: question.. will the cloth map.. say "the world" .. why not put the name of the PE world there? how is the world of PE called anyhow?

Feargus: We haven't named it specifically yet. We want to get to a name that feels right and has legs - something that still sounds cool in 20 years.

They're going to name it. Map is incomplete, a mockup.

....Personally, I want a Waterman Butterfly version!

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Not to impressed with the Britannia map, but the PE map needs it's whole river system redone. Don't know of any singular river systems that empties on so many coastlines. Roleplaying a map with that sort of river system is like trying to roleplay in an mmorpg with people running past with names like "darkkillerzz76"

This is quite an important point. For me it would not ruin roleplaying, but obviously the world would be inherently less realistic.

Here's how it works in real life: rivers start up in the mountains and flow lower and lower, eventually getting to the sea. Now there are almost none that would split so far from their mouth. It only happens in well-developed delta systems, and these cover the whole area near the mouth. No, in real world rivers actually have tributaries, because water flows into the deeper basins, not the other way.

Of course this can probably be explained by use of magic, but hey, doesn't that sound far-fetched.