I love Cloth Maps but, frankly, the one being offered is terrible

Let me show you two fantasy world maps. Which would you rather have? Personally I'm not too enamored with the one with massive borders and a generic "The World" on it. I mean, seriously, do they not even know what their world's name is? Can you imagine Hyrule being called "The World"? Brittania being called "The World"?

If the map wasn't so terribad I'd be dropping the extra money on the physical collector's edition in a heart beat. My wife framed a number of my cloth maps a few years back and I'd love to add to my collection. The one being offered for this project would just look out of place among the old classics. Amatuerish look and... seriously... "The World"?

6157244792_8af845372f_z.jpg

e80974b23a251ca3c259c30fecf14bc2_large.png?1347484337

Edited by TekDragon

I wasn't aware that art was final :p

I'm more concerned about the thickness of the Cloth Map and the manner of it's printing. The DA:O one was painted on and on really **** few mm thin material with loose ends all over the place

Edited by Sensuki

The Project Eternity map looks much better to me than that Britannia map.

And I don't see any problems with having "The World" on it. Maybe that's intended to be from the perspective of people actually inside the gameworld.

Hahaha, do you realize how that sounds?

Is there any other excuses you'd like to make for them?

On the off chance that you're serious, can you imagine if every other RPG developer and fantasy author took that approach? Hyrule would be "The World", Middle Earth would be "The World", Brittania would be "The World".

No thanks. I'd rather fantasy authors and RPG developers be creative. Calling an island "The Island" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Recluce" or "Moonglow".

[EDIT] Baldur's Gate could be renamed to "The City Gate", lololol.

Edited by TekDragon

Let me show you two fantasy world maps. Which would you rather have? Personally I'm not too enamored with the one with massive borders and a generic "The World" on it. I mean, seriously, do they not even know what their world's name is? Can you imagine Hyrule being called "The World"? Brittania being called "The World"?

If the map wasn't so terribad I'd be dropping the extra money on the physical collector's edition in a heart beat. My wife framed a number of my cloth maps a few years back and I'd love to add to my collection. The one being offered for this project would just look out of place among the old classics. Amatuerish look and... seriously... "The World"?

You think that's bad? Here's an ancient Roman map of Europe:

http://upload.wikime...1st_century.jpg

Hell, I saw an ancient Greek map in a book where everything was cubic. I really wish I remember what book or map it was...

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

:facepalm: You do get it that "The World" is a place holder right?

Also we don't know if the final map will contain the entire "world" or just the areas we will be visiting.

Besides which, there are many more things in the package other than the map. And I would argue that the point is to back the project, not to get a map, but I chose a reward myself so the argument would be null.

Edited by kenup
  • Like 1

Who said that was the final map for Project Eternity?

It's been pointed out that it might not be. It's also been pointed out that quality developers have produced terrible maps in the past.

For $140, some people might like a little more detail.

Who said that was the final map for Project Eternity?

It's been pointed out that it might not be. It's also been pointed out that quality developers have produced terrible maps in the past.

For $140, some people might like a little more detail.

The map isn't 140$ look what else is 'new' in that package. Cloth patch, mouse pad, collector's boxed version of the game, cloth map. The reason it says 'the world' is because PE does not have an official name yet, and also if I remember correctly the cloth map wasn't even a reward before so therefore it's 'FREE'.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

My Britannia cloth map didn't look anything like that in 85 :(

Meh, at least I got my own little plastic Ankh.

Edit:

Looks like part of the world got streamlined a bit for ease of use :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Love that Sicily is basically a triangle and is not even close to its real form (Sardinia isn't either, for that matter, lulz).

Of course, this is a time before astrolabes, compasses, astronomical clocks and the like. There are worse maps out there, even newer ones. So long as they got the gist right they were usable, since you could always rely on local knowledge to get from A to B to C and so on.

Looks like part of the world got streamlined a bit for ease of use :)

Well, the Romans at that point didn't know much of anything else. Africa's north coast was the only part ever known to them, and the Middle East beyond Judea was hostile land they'd tried and failed to conquer multiple times. Plus they had to deal with multiple Persian empires pushing back to the West over the life of the Roman state. This was meant to be an edit, btw, can posts be deleted by users here?

Edited by AGX-17

Hell, I saw an ancient Greek map in a book where everything was cubic. I really wish I remember what book or map it was...

Wow, interesting post. The funny thing is that even though the map is simplistic you can see still see how a person could use to navigate to Britain for example

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That sounds exactly as good as any argument you're coming up with.

Aesthetics is subjective. You may prefer the first map, while someone is well within his rights to prefer the second (regardless of whether it's the final map or not).

On the off chance that you're serious, can you imagine if every other RPG developer and fantasy author took that approach? Hyrule would be "The World", Middle Earth would be "The World", Brittania would be "The World".

Can't see anything wrong with that.

There was such individuals as Eratosthenes existed but many of old maps were quite different from what we have. Sawyer said that the sea in the PE is much more dangerous than our counterparts due to the sea "monsters" creatures, too. I'd like the map to be "in-word" document. If possible, even the almanac written in such style would be interesting (I don't expect them to go as far as write them in possible original languages :lol:). Realistically, how about putting materials written in "in-world" style to reflect how NPCs see each other and "their world(s)"?

And I don't see any problems with having "The World" on it. Maybe that's intended to be from the perspective of people actually inside the gameworld.

No thanks. I'd rather fantasy authors and RPG developers be creative. Calling an island "The Island" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Recluce" or "Moonglow".

[EDIT] Baldur's Gate could be renamed to "The City Gate", lololol.

For the record, the ancient Britons were well aware that Britain was not "the world," they may have known their ancestors came from mainlaind Europe and they were certainly in contact with the mainland, maintaining trade with the Gauls and their ilk.

I am of the party that thinks the map could do with some tweaks and improvements, and perhaps some more interesting geography and better naming even outside of the question of artistry. However, I do not view it as something likely to have a huge +/- effect on the overall game.

Not to impressed with the Britannia map, but the PE map needs it's whole river system redone. Don't know of any singular river systems that empties on so many coastlines. Roleplaying a map with that sort of river system is like trying to roleplay in an mmorpg with people running past with names like "darkkillerzz76"

Not to bothered if they decide to keep the name "The World" though, since why would would the inhabitants have a special name for their world, unless they are aware other worlds exist, and so need to distinguish it.

Edited by amaginon

If you are roleplaying then you wouldn't "see" peoples names floating over their head...

Anyway I think this argument is pointless, I have never considered the map Josh did to be a final version, hell the game is hardly even started in production yet. I know if I was designing a world the first thing I would do is create a map so I had an idea of where everything is in relation to everything else and it would look like **** that I drew on a napkin in McDonalds. It is a pretty decent map for something made and released to the public before the game even got off the ground.

Lets relax a bit and ask the question instead of blowing your load and going nerdrage over it.

Lets relax a bit and ask the question instead of blowing your load and going nerdrage over it.

So what you are saying is no one is allowed to offer criticism of anything. Then you go all apple fanboi and accuse people of "nerdrage". Next you will be accusing people of being haterz. Sigh. I don't think anyone was attacking Josh for his map or the game. They (including me) were just saying there is some flaws in the map at the moment that could be improved.

Edited by amaginon