Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Feature Request: Changeable Portraits

portrait companion

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
the biggest issue for me is that my character is distinct from other characters in the game. I remember being annoyed in BG2 that Imoen had the same character portrait as I did. NPC portraits should be apart from PC portraits, or at least have a note saying these can be found during the game.
  • Tauron likes this

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why not just allow us to use custom portraits for our companions as well as for our own main character ? That will give us all the freedom in the world, and our characters can have the portraits of everyone's choosing. EVERYONE will be happy :)

Yep, that's more-or-less what I'm asking for in this thread. Companion portraits could be changed for the IE games by placing files of the appropriate format and name in the override folder. We need at least that much, and it'd be great if we were able to change portraits for the PC and companions in-game at any time from the character or inventory screen/menu.

Basic IE-style: Place files of appropriate format and name in override folder; only one portrait per character can be installed at a time; PC portrait cannot be changed after character creation.

Preferred: Files of appropriate format placed in appropriate folder, selectable from in-game interface; multiple portraits per character can be installed; all portraits can be changed at any time.

Edited by ddillon, 14 October 2012 - 04:30 PM.

• AlphaShard likes this

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts
I'm all for being able to import portraits for all characters, not just the PC. Also, one reason I prefer the BG1/2 style portraits to IWD1/2 is that they are so much easier (for me) to copy fairly well when I do a custom portrait. I could never make anything close to fitting in the IWD style.

AlphaShard

AlphaShard

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well I figure with the Adventure Hall and being able to create characters there, that there would be a way to change portraits in game. I thought BG2 and IWD 2 had this feature.

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well I figure with the Adventure Hall and being able to create characters there, that there would be a way to change portraits in game. I thought BG2 and IWD 2 had this feature.

Well, yeah, there'll be portrait selection at character creation (PC, Adventurer's Hall) at least. And the IE games do allow tweaking game files such as companion portraits using the override directory as I describe above. But it'd be nice if we could change portraits in-game at any time (see previous posts).

Edited by ddillon, 14 October 2012 - 08:59 PM.

cornishr

cornishr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts

I am desperately hoping for the option to be able to override the companions' portraits should i choose to.

I am very fussy with portraits; it is a snapshot of who the character is, so for me it's arguably the single most important thing of all. The in-game portraits might be just what i want to see, but if i don't happen to like a given npc's picture, i  am unable to include them in my party.

Absolutely invaluable, obvious feature to include for a (presumably) small cost as far as i'm concerned.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd be incredibly surprised if we couldn't at least change portraits through the override folder.

Having an option in-game seems unnecessary to me (beyond character creation), though could allow one to change the look of a portrait based on the character's clothes (you could select a plate-armour version or a leathers version) if you had multiple versions of the same portrait (I'm thinking community created content here, not wasting dev time to do it).

I did like the suggestion of allowing multiple portraits to show health/status-effects (again, making it plausible in-engine, not for the devs to spend time/money on).

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My thoughts:

Additional interface options are pretty much always good, especially when they fall into the customization/preferences category like this suggestion does.

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Imo portrait art should be consistent in style. I dont like if suddenly mod introduces a character but gives him cartoony anime, manga style look. Some find that amusing and clever. It isnt.

Edited by Tauron, 04 April 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Imo portrait art should be consistent in style. I dont like if suddenly mod introduces a character but gives him cartoony anime, manga style look. Some find that amusing and clever. It isnt.

Sure - but that's down to the individual mod-creator.  With an option to change the portraits (override folder or in-game option), you could bring in another portrait in the right style.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you don't like a mod's custom portraits, don't use them?

I suppose allowing the player a way to swap out that annoying manga character look for a proper portrait and removing his pink hair to another color would help though, if you really need that mod somehow...

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Now...

Of course we want to be able to change companion portraits, too.

Haven't you ever sexed up Aerie a bit in BG2? ;)

Wow, dude, way to take your completely reasonable request into creeper territory. 

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts

the biggest issue for me is that my character is distinct from other characters in the game. I remember being annoyed in BG2 that Imoen had the same character portrait as I did. NPC portraits should be apart from PC portraits, or at least have a note saying these can be found during the game.

Our companion portraits are all separate from the PC portraits.

• JFSOCC likes this

Cubiq

Cubiq

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think you're talking about bg1

Imoen's portrait was not available in bg2 and if you did take one that looked like one of your companions then, they, were given one of the portraits from bg1.

But only if you didn't change your portrait mid game.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

it would be great to see how kaz does a portrait (maybe using one of the backer pictures) on a youtube video or something (speed draw) so modders can learn how to make good looking portraits.

• Silent Winter likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portrait, companion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users