Will the beta be NDA-protected?

I don't really see it being NDA protected but you never know, I honestly don't mind either way

xb_s1ghtunseen.gif

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.- Tyrion Lannister

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. -Eddard Stark

I don't know how many people are normally involved in a private beta for a game of this scale, but the sheer number of those who will have donor keys--we're talking over 5300 from KS tiers without counting any add-ons. Seems hard to manage for a proper NDA, but I'm just skeptical... :huh:

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Could they even force and NDA on anyone? Since the kickstarter has passed the goal and is now 'official'; they're legally obliged to give people what they paid for.

You can't promise x for y amount of dollars and not deliver.

If you 'pledged' toa certain tier that included beta barring unforseen circumstances they have to give you access to it or it could lead to legal trouble.

I know someone will try to claim these werre 'donations' but it doesn't work that way.

In a proper donation situation you don't expect anything return. In kicksrater, you do hence whey they promise rewards so people will up the money they spend.

Just food for thought.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't understand above post. NDA is a confidentiality agreement. It does not stop anyone with access to beta accessing beta.

Post is positing this situation: I have given enough that I'm supposed to get beta access. Obsidian says my agreeing to a NDA is necessary for me to have that beta access. I say no, I won't agree to that. What now?

To early to say for sure... Maybe? Maybe not?

Post is positing this situation: I have given enough that I'm supposed to get beta access. Obsidian says my agreeing to a NDA is necessary for me to have that beta access. I say no, I won't agree to that. What now?

Well if you want to be like that...

It say that you get a early beta key. You still have the key... So they will fulfil the agreement anyway.

Edited by Kaldurenik

"Well if you want to be like that...

It say that you get a early beta key. You still have the key... So they will fulfil the agreement anyway. "

Nice try. That likely wouldn't stand in a legal challenge. Everyone knows what 'early beta key' means. It means actual beta access. They'll have to find a fine line between honouring the 'contract' they have with pledgers and protecting 'game secrets'. But, that's almost always a danger with mass beta access.

I really don't see why Obsidian would want to enforce a NDA on beta users - quite the contrary - beta users distributing screenshots and gameplay videos would just be "free" advertising from Obsidian's perspective.

NDAs would make sense in other circumstances - if Obsidian was to give some community members access to file format info before the game is released, for example.

I think Feargus Urquhart said the beta was likely to be more of an early-release than a genuine beta. So I doubt it will be.

Edit: I can't find a quote saying anything of the sort. So let's pretend I may be pulling it from nowhere for now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There was a very brief mention about just "early access" in the KS Q&S thread, but this thread:

It's too early for specifics on the beta test since it's a long ways off right now. I can tell you right now that:

1. You will be able to play the game (in an unfinished state) before it's released and before anyone not in the beta.

2. It won't be the entire game to avoid story spoilers being leaked. (subject to change, but that's the current plan)

Beta's are typically the time when we are finalizing the project, doing game balancing, polishing, play testing, and fixing a ton of bugs. We will be fixing and adjusting aspects of the game during this time as well, but all of the content should be in the game at this point. It should be very similar to other games' beta tests, but probably more personal since you will have direct access to the developer team.

I hope this answers your questions.

(No comment on the NDA bit-- that was mainly to supplement Tale's post. Also, that post might've been before the beta key was broken out as an add-on, so the statement may yet be fluid about the "personal" access part and whatnot.)

Edited by Ieo

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Too easy to break NDAs, especially with ~6k testers.

Easier to either hold the beta as the full game, very close to release, to iron out the worst bugs, or limit the content of the beta to a side quest instead of the main quest line.

Looking at what Adam said, it's probably the latter.

I intend to leave the internet for the duration of the beta, only way to avoid spoilers :p

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Too easy to break NDAs, especially with ~6k testers.

Easier to either hold the beta as the full game, very close to release, to iron out the worst bugs, or limit the content of the beta to a side quest instead of the main quest line.

Looking at what Adam said, it's probably the latter.

I intend to leave the internet for the duration of the beta, only way to avoid spoilers :p

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. There were already a lot of beta testers without the add-on, but with the add-on, who knows. Way more, I'm sure. Too many potential NDA breaks, so why bother. I still want to be active on the forums, but maybe there will be a locked separate beta forum for the beta players. Avoid the internet indeed. :p

I probably won't take part of the beta even though I'll qualify. Beta testing is a job that people get paid for. Why should I do soemone else's job and have to pay for it? L0L

I probably won't take part of the beta even though I'll qualify. Beta testing is a job that people get paid for. Why should I do soemone else's job and have to pay for it? L0L

+1

I will be holding the rest of you accountable when I play the final game and find bugs you missed though!

NDA's make sense if you want to keep your product secret for now.

Little hard to keep PE secret now with the big Kickstarter and all.

NDA's can be kept. Had one from Paradox for a game, and nobody knew the game was made till release suddenly hits. Then again, about 5 people besides the developers do kinda make that easy :). Not so much 6000.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

NDA's make sense if you want to keep your product secret for now.

Little hard to keep PE secret now with the big Kickstarter and all.

Private betas for highly publicized games happen all the time. BG:EE is undergoing a private beta right now. A private beta is easier to manage from a marketing point of view; the developers can take more risks with it because they know it's not going to be shown to the whole world yet. Edited by Zeckul