How Would You Feel if the Fundraising Was Extended?

One thing I would be interested to know is if they're using the current Kickstarter funds in the budget of the expansion which they've confirmed. My guess is that since it is included in all tiers $165 and above that they are, however this seems like it would be a great place to direct funds once the Kickstarter officially ends.

I believe they have clarified that all KS funds will go to the main game itself - the expansion will be funded from their own pockets (i.e. sells), and that they are unlikely to do another KS for the expansion(s).

One thing I would be interested to know is if they're using the current Kickstarter funds in the budget of the expansion which they've confirmed. My guess is that since it is included in all tiers $165 and above that they are, however this seems like it would be a great place to direct funds once the Kickstarter officially ends.

I believe they have clarified that all KS funds will go to the main game itself - the expansion will be funded from their own pockets (i.e. sells), and that they are unlikely to do another KS for the expansion(s).

That's correct. Here are the quotes from Feargus in the update itself and the comments afterwards.

What we are also doing is adding the first expansion pack for the game to the $165 Tier (and above). The expansion will come out approximately six months after Project Eternity is released and is not being funded by this Kickstarter. That’s right, it’s not DLC, but a real honest to God RPG expansion pack. We don’t have the details on the Expansion yet, but you can bet it will be what you’d expect from an Infinity Engine game expansion.

"We are going to fund it ourselves and from the sales we get from Project Eternity when it comes available - not from Kickstarter funds. I don't think we will do a Kickstarter just for it, I'd rather see about funding the sequel that way - if you guys will still have us."

I do not see this affecting Kickstarter people at all, they still get all their goodies regardless. They way I see it is just because someone arrives late to the party, does not mean they should miss out.

This is not technically a pre-order as:

1) we pay now, not when the game ships;

2) we pay more than we get as rewards.

I would like for them to leave it open for us to be able to hit 3.5, but beyond that I dislike the idea of them leaving it open while development is far under way and having new team members join who have no idea what is going on. Start with a well oiled machine and keep it that way, don't make it bigger by adding some rusty gears to it.

I don't see why anyone would be against an extended fundraiser; you're not losing anything. In fact, the more money they get, the more likely they are to deliver a quality product (or deliver at all), which is the entire reason behind the kickstarter in the first place. It's also possible that the more t-shirts and physical boxes they "sell", the cheaper they become to produce, which may shift more of the funds towards actual development.

While I can see that some may be upset about others getting rewards they "shouldn't" be entitled to, I find it to be a bit counter productive; you're essentially wishing that others shouldn't have what you have, and that you are willing to sacrifice the quality of your own "investment" in order to prevent the happiness of others. All to preserve artificial scarcity. It's a rather destructive mindset, really.

Not that the fundraiser should be extended forever; as the project progresses and things get locked down, it will become harder and harder to add new features and certain types of content. Similarly, you can always add developers—especially programmers and artists—to meet the deadline, but with increasingly diminished returns. At some point there will be no point in additional funds, unless it's also accompanied by a bumped deadline, but this is hardly a concern right now.

I would not have anything against it under one condition: this can only apply to games that have successfully reached their finance goal within the original time frame ... otherwise any game that does not reach its goal within the regular time simply would extend the time frame (so I'm thinking a bit here about the precedence PE would create).

If it continues everyone benifits, we get more stuff and people who had the misfortune of not being able to particapate get a second chance as do those who wish to upgrade.

We need to think of the needs of the many, instead of the ego of a few, especially since it benifits them.

There are pro's (more money)... which can be good for the game.

However if money keeps pouring in and more ideas get added "content creep" may turn up... and... that's a bad idea if you want a release. Eventually, enough's enough.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I feel that people here might be (as I am) under the idea that if the fundraising gets extended that they'll definitely get the extra big big city. The problem is that if you take that idea and run with it you could technically "fund" the project until ship date and the problem becomes that yeah you think that with each extra bit of funding you should get more content. If you don't end your funding point at some time and finish what your project requirements are, you end up with what is called project drift. Basically you keep getting new ideas and trying to add it in last minute. You get a lot of bugs that way in a game and things that don't really flow together. The team needs to know (for an amazing game) that this is the timeline and this is the budget and let's get to work. They can't give us everything we absolutely want in one game.

• Like 2

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't see why anyone would be against an extended fundraiser; you're not losing anything. In fact, the more money they get, the more likely they are to deliver a quality product (or deliver at all), which is the entire reason behind the kickstarter in the first place. It's also possible that the more t-shirts and physical boxes they "sell", the cheaper they become to produce, which may shift more of the funds towards actual development.

While I can see that some may be upset about others getting rewards they "shouldn't" be entitled to, I find it to be a bit counter productive; you're essentially wishing that others shouldn't have what you have, and that you are willing to sacrifice the quality of your own "investment" in order to prevent the happiness of others. All to preserve artificial scarcity. It's a rather destructive mindset, really.

Not that the fundraiser should be extended forever; as the project progresses and things get locked down, it will become harder and harder to add new features and certain types of content. Similarly, you can always add developers—especially programmers and artists—to meet the deadline, but with increasingly diminished returns. At some point there will be no point in additional funds, unless it's also accompanied by a bumped deadline, but this is hardly a concern right now.

It's the bolded bit that I was interested in, seeing how many people felt that way. Basically, if there would be an outcry if Obsidian just decided to extend the whole thing and act as if the kickstarter didn't shut down in a month. The bread in this post sandwich is more or less how I feel. No one loses anything unless Obsidian just keeps taking donations and expanding the game until April 2014. I'm glad to see that I'm not seeing a lot of posts in that direction, though that could be a survey of who is posting and not how people feel. Would a poll have been more effective?

I feel that people here might be (as I am) under the idea that if the fundraising gets extended that they'll definitely get the extra big big city. The problem is that if you take that idea and run with it you could technically "fund" the project until ship date and the problem becomes that yeah you think that with each extra bit of funding you should get more content. If you don't end your funding point at some time and finish what your project requirements are, you end up with what is called project drift. Basically you keep getting new ideas and trying to add it in last minute. You get a lot of bugs that way in a game and things that don't really flow together. The team needs to know (for an amazing game) that this is the timeline and this is the budget and let's get to work. They can't give us everything we absolutely want in one game.

They can always change the "fundraiser" into "preorder", which allows them to get more funding while not promising anything more than in the original fundraiser.

Not for the same rewards. New pledgers after KS is over must pay some kind of price for being late to the party. I don't mind them offering boxed copies or collectors boxed copies unsigned in an after-ks store. But adding much else and it takes away from the special feeling we get from believing our rewards are exclusive because we backed the kickstarter.

It is not that people are being mean spirited, it is that the KS is a limited period "offer" kind of deal. Back us during this period and we give you this. The money donated is coming out of each individuals pocket and you have to respect that whichever way you look at it. I like the fact that Feargus actually brought it up, there is the respect right there.

It really has nothing to do with feeling entitled but all about someone asking, someone giving and a mutual respect. Many people donating are really digging deep because the KS is such a short period and they really are behind the projects success. You think they feel entitled to something after spending their own money on something that at the time they didn't know was going to happen or not? Upping their pledge to reach X goal because they really want it to happen.

Then after doing all of that someone says; "hey we really didn't need all that money in that 30 day period, you can just buy whatever you want for the next 18 months until release".

Think about the people who don't have a crap tonne of cash to lay out and have donated in the lower tiers, if they knew from the start they could buy at any time in the next 12 months they may have never pledged at all simply due to financial circumstances and maybe the KS would not have reached its first goal at all.

If we start analysing this too much you can come up with a dozen reasons why people should or shouldn't do certain things but myself I think the idea behind the KS (donate in limited period to kickstart the project) should be maintained and the respect for the pledges in that period should be recognised as the project continues.

• Like 1

It is not that people are being mean spirited, it is that the KS is a limited period "offer" kind of deal. Back us during this period and we give you this. The money donated is coming out of each individuals pocket and you have to respect that whichever way you look at it. I like the fact that Feargus actually brought it up, there is the respect right there.

It really has nothing to do with feeling entitled but all about someone asking, someone giving and a mutual respect. Many people donating are really digging deep because the KS is such a short period and they really are behind the projects success. You think they feel entitled to something after spending their own money on something that at the time they didn't know was going to happen or not? Upping their pledge to reach X goal because they really want it to happen.

Then after doing all of that someone says; "hey we really didn't need all that money in that 30 day period, you can just buy whatever you want for the next 18 months until release".

Think about the people who don't have a crap tonne of cash to lay out and have donated in the lower tiers, if they knew from the start they could buy at any time in the next 12 months they may have never pledged at all simply due to financial circumstances and maybe the KS would not have reached its first goal at all.

If we start analysing this too much you can come up with a dozen reasons why people should or shouldn't do certain things but myself I think the idea behind the KS (donate in limited period to kickstart the project) should be maintained and the respect for the pledges in that period should be recognised as the project continues.

As sad as it makes me, I really agree with you here. The kickstarter did need people to pledge more than they could afford to reach stretch goals and give Obsidian an idea of the support behind the project. People did that and did it quickly. They should be rewarded for it. Perhaps they will make special considerations for people that have already pledged and would simply be adding to it after the fact. I don't know. Whatever the case, I saw my goodies fly out the window when I read this. You are completely right, the early pledgers need to be respected.

Looking at wasteland 2's stuff. Their Kick starter.

Pledge $250 or more

1200 backers Limited (300 of 1500 left)

You will receive an autographed collector's edition premium boxed version (with cloth map, instruction book, miniature, faction badge), level 1 desert ranger collectible medal, (t-shirt) OR (coin/poster/boxed copy), your name in the credits in a special thanks section, early playable beta access, both early release digital episodic novellas (part 1 & 2), digital concept art book, downloadable digital soundtrack, 2 DRM free digital copies of the game (PC or Mac or Linux), exclusive Ranger portrait collection, 4 episode video development blog, Chris Avellone novella,and unique and quirky skill.

Their after Kick starter.

Wasteland 2 has an anticipated release date of October 2013. You will receive a special collector's edition boxed copy of the game that is autographed by key developers, which will also include a cloth map, instruction book, digital soundtrack, digital concept art book, a miniature, a faction badge and beta access to Wasteland 2. An additional $20 is required for shipping outside of the United States. By donating now, you are helping us continue to fund the development of Wasteland 2 and contributing to making Wasteland 2 even better! Thank you!

They are both $250, if this is any indication..... the rewards will be different as the Kick Starter stuff is 'limited'.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.