Facebook - bigger dungeon, bigger game, and it's all up to us

I look at Obsidian's facebook page and get sad. 60,000 backers and barely 20,000 Likes? And no thread about it?

I just convinced two people to Like the page (one hadn't head of any Infinity Engine game), which means about 200 more people will at least have a glance of Obsidian in their walls. This is from me, somebody with very few facebook friends who, in turn, keep relatively tight contacts on FB.

If 40,000 more like it, extrapolating from me, about 4,000,000 (+/- say, 2,000,000) people will hear about it. Who knows how many of them had a good time with either BG1/2, Fallouts, IWD, PS:T, Arcanum or NWN but haven't heard of the Obsidian kickstarter. A few more of them will like it, some will even contribute, numbers both in Facebook and Kickstarter will get way bigger.

If PE is something you like as much I think you do, make sure you "Like" it! Then pester a few more people to Like it, too. You will be a slight annoyance to somebody, but it will actually help. Did you manage to get somebody to back the project? Then getting them to Like it will be way easier, it's free!

Don't have a facebook account? Make one! It takes a few minutes, then about half an hour to find pretty much everybody you can think from your real life friends on it. Then tell them about it. Tell them how amazing this project is! People like excitement!

If you like this "strange thing" that much, people will like it just for the hell of it, just to make you happy. And their friends will see, numbers will grow!

In three days we won't just get 40,000 likes, we can get 400,000!

• Like 1

That's why it's as big as it is. I'm not a Facebook fan but if it brings 4-5 more dungeon levels and the second big city..

I'm not a Facebook fan and yet I'm there. As is everyone. When that is the best way to spread the word, why not use it?

What's worse is over 44,000 have liked the project eternity page but only 20K have liked Obsidians facebook page.

Seriously? (I can't find a P:E facebook) I really think that should count towards the next mega dungeon level.

They think my style strange,

I think they all the same.

What's worse is over 44,000 have liked the project eternity page but only 20K have liked Obsidians facebook page.

Seriously? (I can't find a P:E facebook) I really think that should count towards the next mega dungeon level.

Project Eternity Page just under the video has over 44,000 likes which really means nothing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

need to like Obsidians Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/obsidian

Not hard to figure out.

To be honest, we're doing the best we can. I've got my like in, but from what I can tell Obsidian isn't pushing the Facebook likes very hard, because it's not really that important compared to the other things they have going on. (the main being generating as much money as possible before the kick starter ends). So it's really up to us to push this as hard and as much as we can. I don't think we'll hit 40k, but 30k is defiantly within sight. I wish they would have did it in 10k increments instead of 20k.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

There is a topic already

http://forums.obsidi...-facebook-page/

but it's pretty much ignored by the vast majority

I searched this section of the for "Facebook" but must have missed it.

(the main being generating as much money as possible before the kick starter ends).

I can see what you mean, but Facebook is not just a random goal - it gives revenue as well. It leverages Obsidian as a company, gives them a platform to advertise their games, PE as well as any expansions and sequels.

Also true that it's up to us to get them facebook Likes. I do not understand though why supporters wouldn't Like the page. It takes a just a little bit of time and it's free. If people don't like facebook, they can make an account Like the project, spread the word, then close the account in a week. You don't need to like Facebook, you need to Like Obsidian and this we all do.

I would be disappointed if less than 60,000 people do that. After all, this is the least any supporter could do.

I doubt we'll ever get to 40k likes anyway

Not unless someone with 'a lot' of time and email accounts on their hands starts mass liking the site.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I would be disappointed if less than 60,000 people do that. After all, this is the least any supporter could do.

You are assuming that every supporter has, or is willing to create, an account just to place a like.

I wont, I deleted my account time ago and I'm not interested in creating a new one.

Though, I forced 2 coworkers to like the page...

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

I look at Obsidian's facebook page and get sad. 60,000 backers and barely 20,000 Likes? And no thread about it?

Why are you sad? Their social media campaign has been genius. This route is guaranteed profit for them, for several reasons:

1) In terms of marketing, you usually get a 10% return back on sales leads/calls. If 10% of the people who come in at each 2,500-backer dungeon level (250) and liked the FB page come in at the average pledge (which is about $50, according to Kicktraq), that's another $12,500 they get for practically nothing. Not only that, but the fact that 1/3'rd of their backers have translated to Facebook (or vice versa) is astounding.

2) It costs comparatively less to code/create a single level of a dungeon than an entire city or new companion, which is why I figure they tied it into their social media. They get free advertising, a chance to boost their online presence and they can draw in new backers for very little risk. That, in turn, translates to more pledges and exposure.

3) It normally takes a long time for companies and regular individuals to amass FB friends/likes. It took me almost 5 years to get 1,500 friends (although because of the field I work in, it was easier). Yet, it's not the be-all and end-all of exposure - Obsidian's already had a ton of positive press, possibly the most of any Kickstarter campaign so far. That's already pushed them above and over the top. The boost during these last three days of the campaign will also bump the like count up from new visitors who find the project and want to donate.

They won't get 400,000 likes, but their social media campaign will be enough to give them a significant boost in terms of exposure and backers. That's all I expected.

Edited by crazyrabbits

Yes, but by opening Facebook accounts you just encourage it.

And that's bad.

It's the most pernicious piece of online chicanery in the history of teh internets.

I have a yahoo email account which I haven't used in years. It's probably gone by now. Same will happen with my facebook account at some point. Right now it is useful. Do not care about people spending 6 hours on Facebook, or companies pouring millions in ads. Do care about more backers Facebook can bring to Obsidian. And more dungeon levels.

Though, I forced 2 coworkers to like the page...

Great!

As for creating an account - typing a long-ish post in this forum takes 3 minutes, the same time needed to create a facebook account, Like Obsidian's page, delete the account in a week/month. Not too much to ask in order to bring more support for the game.

Why are you sad? Their social media campaign has been genius.

I am sad because it is only 20,000. Yes, the campaign has been a genius. But the support it got has been far less than it deserved.

I've been asking this a couple of times now on the forums with no answer... will the dungeon continue to grow with Facebook "Likes" after the Kickstarter campaign? I.E., with the development of the game? Let's say Obsidian gets 40k Likes in 6 months, would that equal another Level?

EDIT: underlining for this statement: Within reason, of course, if Obsidian feels like it.

Edited by Osvir

Yes, but by opening Facebook accounts you just encourage it.

And that's bad.

It's the most pernicious piece of online chicanery in the history of teh internets.

I must agree, and I don't use it. However, there is an alias there that speaks to my interest. It was only one "Like" but every little bit helps.

• Like 1

Everyone that jumped in for $20 at the beginning should up their pledge by at least $5. That will allow for more people to get in at the $20 level and puts us closer to $3.5 Million. I did my part to the detriment of my bank account! Now, go do yours!

Also, forgive me if this is not a new idea. It only came to me, this evening, but I'm a very slow person.

SunB

• Like 1

I've been asking this a couple of times now on the forums with no answer... will the dungeon continue to grow with Facebook "Likes" after the Kickstarter campaign? I.E., with the development of the game? Let's say Obsidian gets 40k Likes in 6 months, would that equal another Level?

I guess designing the dungeon (with a compelling story and progression) would be easier if they have the number when they start work on it. If they are willing to include a post-kickstarter level, my guess woud be they would give another month or two but probably not more.

Everyone that jumped in for $20 at the beginning should up their pledge by at least $5. That will allow for more people to get in at the $20 level and puts us closer to $3.5 Million. I did my part to the detriment of my bank account! Now, go do yours!

Also, forgive me if this is not a new idea. It only came to me, this evening, but I'm a very slow person.

SunB

Great idea!

If some people would go only for a good deal, anybody who goes up a tier would bring not only $5 from temselves but $15-$20 more from another upgading/new backer! Go Big City 2!

And a big thanks from me to everyone who overcame their dislike for Facebook in order to support Obsidian. Let's keep it going!

• Like 1