Do I see guns and gunpowder ? I hope not :S

In one of the artworks did I see a woman in armor with a RIFLE ?? If I have gotten this right this fictional world is supposed to be a "medieval fantasy world" with swords and shields and spears and armor, right?

Do not make the mistake of adding rifles, firearms, cannons etc. It just doesn't belong. We've seen such things included in World of Warcraft to name one game and its just plain silly. Let medieval high fantasy be medieval high fantasy. This is not 'western' or 'science-fiction', unless I have missed something... Hopefully guns will not be seen in the game.

That certainly is my honest opinion and my hope.

With that said, I'm really excited about this upcoming game. A return to the good old days we had with the Infinity Engine Games and such? Yes !! :D

It was one of the very first things revealed, I take it you have come very late to the campaign.

The world has gunpowder, one shot guns that are powerful and slow to reload. It is not far fetched for the fantasy setting due to the historically based time frame that inspires it.

Basically do not expect anything exotic or engineers popping out turrets.

Black powder, with all that entails, is definitely in. Firearms have a particular role in mage combat which makes them interesting and unusual, adding flavour to the setting. That said, for me the cruder the better - they should definitely be a risky option.

Firearms should be at the level of the one used in the american revolution.

Single shot, and long time to reload the next shot.

Actually, older. American Revolution was in the 18th.

Also, OP should be informed regarding history, though I think others are better suited for that then I.

Edited by C2B

Firearms should be at the level of the one used in the american revolution.

Single shot, and long time to reload the next shot.

More like arquebuses and muskets of 15-17th centuries. But yeah, slow and primitive.

Edited by Pangur
obsidian-shield.jpg

It was one of the very first things revealed, I take it you have come very late to the campaign.

The world has gunpowder, one shot guns that are powerful and slow to reload. It is not far fetched for the fantasy setting due to the historically based time frame that inspires it.

Basically do not expect anything exotic or engineers popping out turrets.

Heh, I came in just today. Didn't know about this game until today.

What is the historically based time frame that inspired the game then, precisely ? Have they said so?

As for gunpowder and real-world history, I BELIEVE (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that gunpowder was discovered around year 900 but didn't reach Europe until far later. Very crude guns were first used around 1300 I believe . Very primitive things. Medieval period had surely passed by the time guns were really put to use. Must have been rennesaince. Of course, that doesn't mean they are not free to include guns in their game... It's just my honest opinion that it is plain silly.

They are going to have flintlock guns. One shot and takes long time to reaload.

BTW It's fantasy. It doesn't have to follow any particular era in real history, but actually this is based on very late medieval times when they already had simple flintlock guns. If I remember right it was 16th century. I don't understand why so many people hate breaking the mold of old boring sword N' sorcery RPGs. We already have enough of those.

• Like 2

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

The high medieval era encompasses (roughly) the early 1400s to 1500. Firearms appear in Europe (albeit very crudely) in the mid-1300s.

This doesn't mean that the longbow, sword or pike became redundant.

The Chinese invented gunpowder, IIRC in the 9th Century.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

What is the historically based time frame that inspired the game then, precisely ? Have they said so?

As for gunpowder and real-world history, I BELIEVE (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong) that gunpowder was discovered around year 900 but didn't reach Europe until far later. Very crude guns were first used around 1300 I believe . Very primitive things. Medieval period had surely passed by the time guns were really put to use. Must have been rennesaince. Of course, that doesn't mean they are not free to include guns in their game... It's just my honest opinion that it is plain silly.

I suggest you read Update #5 (http://www.kickstart...ty/posts/312639), they explained the guns and general level of technology there. :)

Medieval period lasted until 16th century, so the guns were there.

Initially, I was against the idea too, but now they have explained it, it looks much better. Moreover, the guns won't be too common, more like rare and exotic stuff.

Edited by Pangur
obsidian-shield.jpg

Wow, when will people wrap their heads around the fact that gunpowder is as medieval as lutes, knights, princesses and men-in-tights?

That's why I said High Medieval era. Most generic fantasy settings use dark ages as the backdrop.

The high medieval era encompasses (roughly) the early 1400s to 1500. Firearms appear in Europe (albeit very crudely) in the mid-1300s.

This doesn't mean that the longbow, sword or pike became redundant.

The Chinese invented gunpowder, IIRC in the 9th Century.

Hussites (1420–1434) were, I think, the first to utilize firearms on a bigger scale.

Edited by Karranthain
  • Like 1

Wow, when will people wrap their heads around the fact that gunpowder is as medieval as lutes, knights, princesses and men-in-tights?

That's why I said High Medieval era. Most generic fantasy settings use dark ages as the backdrop.

But they also tend to use late medieval plate armour which actually post-dates the invention of firearms (or at least cannons).

• Like 1

I think this is something that grows on you after you've had time to think about it for a bit (to get over the initial 'ehhh...' reaction). Reading up on the lore about the technology level of PE and how the guns will actually work helps a lot too. Of course those who have played Arcanum probably found it easier to get used to the idea too. I think it will work well and that it will be interesting to see in the game.

• Like 1

But they also tend to use late medieval plate armour which actually post-dates the invention of firearms (or at least cannons).

Yeah, I think plate armour was developed somewhere around the time first (primitive) firearms appeared.

In any case, that generic medieval setting usually doesn't feature gunpowder, so I can see why some people would find that unusual.

Edited by Karranthain