About the new concept art piece of Forton the monk......

The artist is great, but the image is rubbish, from posture and physical appearance to attire, it seems like a bad joke compared to the other companions.

As for being a kung-fu monk, I hate the concept as it is so ill fitting, but that is essentially covered in the quite long Monk Class topic.

Edit - Personally I would have found a Flagellant or Hospitilar class far more acceptable.

Edited by Aedelric

kenup, I agree. I think that there could be a wide variety of 'monk' type people throughout the PE world... I'm just not crazy about Forton's design with what we know about the character.

I don't like his appearance either. It's like a joke to both parties.

And the whole shirt-off thing...ugh. I get JE character selection frustration memories.

"Hey I'm bonus character x, the only one without a baby or jet lee face, and I'll cover my entire torso except the nipple on the right."

Edited by kenup

Well, if he doesn't care about his appearance i.e. cutting his hair, why the heck care about shaving(like at all, no cool design beard)?

If he needs to be like that -and MC is right about the pain bit-, why not give him a few face bruises and scars, maybe a blind eye(yeah I know cliche, but better than this) even. He sure has a lot of scars on his abdomen.

That's what I'm saying. If he doesn't give a ****, why would he try a certain design with his beard, or shave it at all for that matter.

And I would be ok with it, if his face looked at least a bit roughed up. What's with the average old man manipulative bastard we get? But whatever, we won't have to take him with us... I hope.

Bottom line, if you're looking for realism in a fantasy game, you'll be disappointed -- every time.

I'm not looking for realism in a fantasy game but looking for some attractive stuffs.

I think even diablo3 did a better work on monk design, although I hate the huge rosary.

Leonard Boyarsky, the 4.0M stretch goal...

post-23352-0-83825100-1350124485_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-52964900-1350124497_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-31993400-1350124528_thumb.jpg

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Speaking of flagellants : http://forums.obsidi...lass-companion/

Forton could be somewhat similar?

Even if he is, he looks almost nothing like one.

Aye, the sandals and the armwraps are definitely Asian inspired.

In fact, in ancient asia no one wear such kind of sandal.If they do like asian inspired, they can add a clogs.

About our dear Forton, I wish he can find a better tattooists if he didn't come from Neverwinter City.

Also, if his hairline can move a bit down, the hair style will be better. Now it really looks like a old lady.And the color, simple white is fine, please not pink!

post-23352-0-77173000-1350131058_thumb.jpg

In fact, in ancient asia no one wear such kind of sandal.If they do like asian inspired, they can add a clogs.

About our dear Forton, I wish he can find a better tattooists if he didn't come from Neverwinter City.

Also, if his hairline can move a bit down, the hair style will be better. Now it really looks like a old lady.And the color, simple white is fine, please not pink!

Hopefully, someone Obsidian is taking some of the feedback into consideration and improves on the concept art a bit. The portrait isn't colored yet, so I don't think we need to worry. Probably the artist will get back to coloring it later.

One of the things I love about the internet is the predictability of certain subject triggers... you know things that are like online nerve endings.

Anything to do with Japanese weaponry and / or martial arts and monks is guaranteed to bring hobbyists out of hiding. It's great, although the Katana Fanbois can get a bit much.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Omg, no screenshot posted in this thread comes even close to the one of the monk in PE....... :blink:

Perhaps it's possible to make a flagelant monk in PE but the companion Obsidian created is none so live with it. ;)

For the beard debate: we don't know what is aesthetic in the world of PE and especially for monks like him. Perhaps it's a typical haircut of his religion/order, perhaps he likes the look himself, why complain about it? OMG, the monk doesn't look like all the other generic monks in video games? Well, I don't think that he has to. And I don't think that it is an aspiring goal to make only good-looking, handsome or softened characters and companions.

• Like 3
35167v4.jpg

It is a concept art, Forton probably just got out of bed, still has his pyjamas on and is doing some kata or whatever he calls it. Maybe he fights in flipflops, maybe he doesn't, I'd guess he can wear at least some armors the other classes can wear, everything from cloth up to heavy leather with whatever positives and negatives come with that. Maybe he can even wear plate armor, we don't know that yet.

I'd guess there will be some monk specific gear in the game but I doubt there will be a whole armor type dedicated to monks that no one else can wear (+6 flipflops of trippingover).

This is what I call a warrior-monk :

-snip-

When I think of warrior monks, I think of something more along the lines of:

flagellants.jpg

:dancing:

They look like crazed hobos that happened on some weapons from dead warriors. and Flagellant? The fancy word used for Farts?

Edited by AlphaShard

Hopefully, someone Obsidian is taking some of the feedback into consideration and improves on the concept art a bit. The portrait isn't colored yet, so I don't think we need to worry. Probably the artist will get back to coloring it later.

Yes, I'm sure about that. Now I just wish they can give us some new attractive stuffs in the last 3 days to make extra push on the funding .

I like this kind of stance.

Famous monk: Flower monk Lu.

post-23352-0-06867100-1350132376_thumb.jpg

I can't play a monk in a crpg, it's too hard for me. I always picture monks as those who carry little with them and have little need for gold. I can't help but become a pack rat with no matter what character I play, so i always feel like I can't play the 'role' of a monk correctly. I do love monks though, probably one of my favorite classes, I just can't get out of the stereotypical viewpoint of a monk.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I'd like to repeat once again, please understand that concept art is not made for your viewing pleasure (at least not primarily). It's not required for a concept artist to be a martial artist as well, to draw a perfectly accurate pose. It's important to get the idea of an appearance of the character to the 3D artists who'll be doing the modeling. That's all.

The same character looks quite badass in the wallpaper, does he not?

(I don't think the concept artist is bad at his/her job either, the concepts are well done. Actually, has it been released if it's a woman drawing these? Just my impression.)

• Like 2

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

I'd prefer to see monks that get away from "I'm a monk and I'm okay, I wear no shoes and only rags" thing. Why not monks that are urban not hermit, e.g. the precise control of bodies and movements lending them to tasks like infiltration and acrobatics? Why not monks that wear much more tight and well-made attire? There's a lot of possibilities and yet as far as visual style goes.

Also, the name. Forton Thorton anyone? :D

They could have a unique more Planescape: Torment style inventory slots