About the new concept art piece of Forton the monk......

I don't know much about artwork. And I'm not sure how Obsidian will set the background of monk class. But I really can't acccept this picture of monk in update21.

This guy wear a pant which spliced by a strange way, and a pair of modern sandal....There are two kind of monk in China, self-torture(without hair) and half self-torture(with hair). But I think this guy is half self-torture monk but unfortunately bald guy...I can't find anything about power or soul, only can see his age.

Before this I didn't feel it's necessary to hire Justin Sweet back.But now I wish it could be a new stretch goal. :bow:

It seems I 'm not allowed to use image extension function. So I attach two images of famous Chinese monks, one is half self-torture, the other is self-torture.

post-23352-0-30714200-1350095583_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-94941400-1350097278_thumb.jpg

post-23352-0-21350300-1350097337_thumb.jpg

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Forton isn't from China.

Is it just me or does this monk looks a lot like David Carradine from Kung Fu... :blink:

It's been mentioned in the update thread. :sweat:

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Forton isn't from China.

Yes, of course...but whereever he come from, I wish he can pay more attention on his appearance.

Edited by bronzepoem

Forton isn't from China.

Yes, of course...but whereever he come from, I wish he can pay more attention on his stature.

Maybe you mean 'posture', and that's being discussed in the Update 20 thread...

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Forton isn't from China.

Yes, of course...but whereever he come from, I wish he can pay more attention on his stature.

Maybe you mean 'posture', and that's being discussed in the Update 20 thread...

Sorry I mean "appearance"@_@ Edited by bronzepoem

Nobody needs Justin Sweet for this game.....*searching cover*..... :biggrin:

The monk is cool, I like him. Looks like a very introverted guy who doesn't care much about his appearance but more about how to live and how to fight. Remembers me of an eremit who came back into society to fulfil a quest or an oath or something like that. Very wise, well trained in combat but not very socially "fine-tuned"..... ;)

And don't forget: monk is a class in PE and not a profession. ;)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 5
35167v4.jpg

Is that the symbol of Neverwinter on his stomach?

I'm guessing that's where he concentrates his soul power... It looks similar but is not the same.

I like the monk... except for the flip-flop sandals, which look a bit silly.

I like that he's old. Sounds strange, I know. :grin:

The flip-flops, I can see them flying off at high velocity into the face of enemies. Perhaps they have hidden metal teeth in them. Ranged attack!

• Like 2

Don't you think his pant has a very fasionable style? I can't believe a pant with natural wear will become that style....

Nobody needs Justin Sweet for this game.....*searching cover*..... :biggrin:

The monk is cool, I like him. Looks like a very introverted guy who doesn't care much about his appearance but more about how to live and how to fight. Remembers me of an eremit who came back into society to fulfil a quest or an oath or something like that. Very wise, well trained in combat but not very socially "fine-tuned"..... ;)

And don't forget: monk is a class in PE and not a profession. ;)

Indeed, I love such a monk as your description. But I can't feel anything like that from this image...

I like that he's old. Sounds strange, I know. :grin:

So do I. It's always nice to see some diversity, rather than having every important character be young and good looking.

For that same reason, I like seeing ugly characters in RPGs who aren't necessarily evil or members of an inherently ugly race, such as orcs.

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 2

Don't you think his pant has a very fasionable style? I can't believe a pant with natural wear will become that style....

Not every character needs to look like they just stepped out of a fashion show. He looks like he lives a life of near poverty and doesn't worry much about how his pants look. That art is great and it tells a story.

• Like 1

Not every character needs to look like they just stepped out of a fashion show. He looks like he lives a life of near poverty and doesn't worry much about how his pants look. That art is great and it tells a story.

OK, when I have time I will read my high school English textbook again...

What I mean is: this pant looks like it's spliced by several new cloth by a fashion designer, not like it's broken by hundreds of combats.

Edited by bronzepoem

As an aside, I really dislike anime. That doesn't invalidate it as an art form, but it's an aesthetic I'm glad Obsidian isn't adopting.

To be clear, there are many art styles in anime and manga, so one can hardly classify the art styles as a unified whole. Unfortunately, it's usually the extremes that make it into video games. (See Mushishi for some awfully boring style. ;) )

• Like 1

OK, when I have time I will read my high school English textbook again...

What I mean is: this pant looks like it's spliced by several new cloth by a fashion designer, not like it's broken by hundreds of combats.

Try to bear in mind that this piece was probably done on a pretty tight timeline. It's concept art, it's not going to be perfect in every detail. Obsessing over the details of his pants misses the point of a concept rendering like this; it's supposed evoke a "feeling" about a particular character, not be a design template that will be reproduced stitch for stitch in-game.

Edited by nikolokolus

I think I would like the design better if he had some facial hair.

Initially I had that thought too; he'd probably also look good with less hair or a head band. But the look is distinctive and may well be cultural. It's an interesting figure study.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm ok with the monk in general, but he looks pretty Westernized. Guess this doesn't jive very well with the actual monks we're used to in Asia. But since I love Caradine in Kung Fu, I don't mind. Wonder whether he'll speak like Caradine too in PE :yes:

However, as mentioned in the update thread, the stance appears awkward. Hopefully they get some helpful input to make it more realistic.

I'm ok with the monk in general, but he looks pretty Westernized. Guess this doesn't jive very well with the actual monks we're used to in Asia. But since I love Caradine in Kung Fu, I don't mind. Wonder whether he'll speak like Caradine too in PE :yes:

However, as mentioned in the update thread, the stance appears awkward. Hopefully they get some helpful input to make it more realistic.

I'm really glad they haven't gone for a typical Asian looking monk.

And does the stance really matter that much...? It's just concept art for an isometric fantasy game. A) Why does his stance have to mirror stances used in Earth martial arts? And B) We're probably not going to see that stance in-game.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a totally different style native to PE.

Maybe he got tired of posing for the artist and started doing a form and was caught in the middle of it.... (although that would imply the artist has a photographic instantaneous skill in drawing, which kinda destroys my idea)