Large Paper Dolls and Rotation

I know that we're going to have a fixed perspective in PE. However, in the biography or inventory section, could we have a close up view of our PC and companion with a rotating view (if possible)?

It would be great to get a closeup of the models especially seeing them decked out with the cool equipment and weapons. Just wondering whether you guys would like to see this, since the actual sprites in game would likely be quite small.

• Like 1

Not a big deal, but if they do end up making highly detailed 3D models, and giving all different pieces of equipment unique looks, it'd be a real shame if we didn't have an opportunity to look at them up close. The inventory screen would be a great place for such a view :)

In game zooming is highly over-rated.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Yes. It would be great. And good quality models may become a great addition to "library" of common recognizable templates of characters in RPG modelling IRL, what would be appreciated by attenders in RPGs IRL.

• Like 1

מְנֵא מְנֵא תְקֵל וּפַרְסֵין

I'll have to say oppose. Large 3D renderings of faces are hard to get right. For a game of this nature, it would be an utter waste of resources and effort.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'll have to say oppose. Large 3D renderings of faces are hard to get right. For a game of this nature, it would be an utter waste of resources and effort.

I'm not asking for specific work to be done i.e. large 3D renderings. What I'm asking is just to make what's available in-game and let us see a close up of the sprites in the inventory/biography section. Why would there be a waste of resources and effort?

I'm not asking for specific work to be done i.e. large 3D renderings. What I'm asking is just to make what's available in-game and let us see a close up of the sprites in the inventory/biography section. Why would there be a waste of resources and effort?

You mean like the way the IE games did it? Those were just closeups of the sprites, I think. I would like a paper doll that properly reflects gear appearance on the sprite, at least, as opposed to the generic paper dolls....

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

You mean like the way the IE games did it? Those were just closeups of the sprites, I think. I would like a paper doll that properly reflects gear appearance on the sprite, at least, as opposed to the generic paper dolls....

Not quite. Since PE is going to be rendered in high resolutions, I'm guessing that the sprites would be quite detailed. I'm presuming what we would see in-game would not show all of all the details and work done.

So, what I'm asking is to see a PROPER paper doll that gives us a close up of how our sprites look in the inventory/biography section. As for showing proper equipment etc, Obsidian should just follow whatever they decide for the in-game sprite. Further, it would be good if we could rotate the paper doll to see how they look from a 360 angle.

Hopefully it doesn't require a lot of work and detract Obsidian from focusing on the game itself.

Edited by agewisdom

Okay, perhaps I misunderstood. I was picturing something along the lines of DA2. But I'd guess you'd need models with at least a few thousand polygons to make them respectably presentable; that's probably a lot more than you'd need for the isometric view. It's a trade off really. Perhaps they already have models they can use that would make the task reasonably do-able under the budget they have?

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Okay, perhaps I misunderstood. I was picturing something along the lines of DA2. But I'd guess you'd need models with at least a few thousand polygons to make them respectably presentable; that's probably a lot more than you'd need for the isometric view. It's a trade off really. Perhaps they already have models they can use that would make the task reasonably do-able under the budget they have?

It really depends on how Obsidian built the models of the PC and companion in the first place. If they started with a highly detailed model and rendered it into a small sprite, I think what I'm asking would be quite easily done.

However, I am aware of your concerns. If they built a small scale sprite to begin with, then it would be a waste of resources trying to "blow it up", (so to speak) to see a detailed paper doll.

It really depends on how Obsidian built the models of the PC and companion in the first place. If they started with a highly detailed model and rendered it into a small sprite, I think what I'm asking would be quite easily done.

However, I am aware of your concerns. If they built a small scale sprite to begin with, then it would be a waste of resources trying to "blow it up", (so to speak) to see a detailed paper doll.

I don't know how the 3D modeling would work, but in 2D art, it's usually best to start with as high a resolution/size/density as possible and resample downwards... It could work. I wonder if Obsidian will post GUI samples in the future for players to discuss--that would be tremendous in terms of both aesthetic and usability.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I support this idea; it would be great to see some of the fine detail of weapons, armor etc... in the inventory screen.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg