I always wondered why there was never another game based on the Planescape setting, not even close as far as I know. It allowed for such a broader range of potential, weird characters, and fantastic situations than the traditional 'elves, dwarves, mages and humans-with-swords' fantasy setting.

I realize PE isn't going to be in this setting, but any chance of adding a dash of it to the game? Maybe an NPC who is a Modron or some berk from Sigil, or even a quick side quest to one of the planes? There are such colorful and trippy possibilities.

-------------------------------------

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." - Thomas Jefferson, 1816

(1) PS:T did very poorly on the market

(2) which means a sequel would've been impossible as a business proposal, and

(3) the IP license would be very expensive, no doubt.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

(1) The fact that it did poorly on the market wasn't because it was a bad idea or a bad game.

(2) Given that this project has almost tripled it's $ goal from fan support, I wouldn't write off the possibility of a PS:T sequel so quickly

(3) I wasn't suggesting a continuation or sequel to that game, only adding some of the flavor and settings from PS:T's setting, which is not under IP license

-------------------------------------

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." - Thomas Jefferson, 1816

(1) The fact that it did poorly on the market wasn't because it was a bad idea or a bad game.

(2) Given that this project has almost tripled it's $ goal from fan support, I wouldn't write off the possibility of a PS:T sequel so quickly

(3) I wasn't suggesting a continuation or sequel to that game, only adding some of the flavor and settings from PS:T's setting, which is not under IP license

You're not quite putting the dots together--

(1) Whether or not it was "bad" isn't part of the argument. You wondered why there wasn't another Planescape game--the only game to use that setting did poorly; there are definitely other aspects in the corporate decision tree, but there's always risk assessment. Gaming industry--it's a business.

(2) Obsidian already admitted that PE is a niche game in today's market. A niche market means small audience relative to the AAA titles, which means trying to Kickstart a game including licensing expenses would probably be prohibitive.

(3) There might be other ways of easter egging, but it's just too different from what we know about PE right now. A parody might work under fair use, but I think we have to be satisfied that Avellone intends to include as much reactive content depth as possible, in homage to PS:T.

I'd love a proper PS:T sequel, but there are just too many things going against it. Kids these days barely read at all.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

One thing I hear from people is that fantasy games that try to reach the widest market audience almost invariably go for the generic "Western European High-Medieval" setting. This is one reason why Oblivion's setting was a lot less fantastic and strange than Morrowind's, for example. Having that kind of setting conforms to most people's perceptions of what fantasy and, to an extent, RPGs are about, and so tend to sell better.

I love the Planescape setting personally, but if the above is the way many studios think about such things, I can see why it hasn't been used again. Morrowind is pretty damn normal in comparison to Sigil, and the fear might be that having a game too far out from people's expectations just wont be as commercially viable.

It's a damn shame if that is the case - nothing would make me happier than a market for more games like PS:T, but it doesn't seem to be the way things are.

One thing I hear from people is that fantasy games that try to reach the widest market audience almost invariably go for the generic "Western European High-Medieval" setting. This is one reason why Oblivion's setting was a lot less fantastic and strange than Morrowind's, for example. Having that kind of setting conforms to most people's perceptions of what fantasy and, to an extent, RPGs are about, and so tend to sell better.

I love the Planescape setting personally, but if the above is the way many studios think about such things, I can see why it hasn't been used again. Morrowind is pretty damn normal in comparison to Sigil, and the fear might be that having a game too far out from people's expectations just wont be as commercially viable.

It's a damn shame if that is the case - nothing would make me happier than a market for more games like PS:T, but it doesn't seem to be the way things are.

Except this is exactly what I hate about most Dnd games today. They're all based on the same Western European idea of knights fighting dragons. It was the main reason why I haven't played Skyrim to this day and really have no motivation to. Killing dragons as a knight (albeit Nordic knight is a little different)? So overplayed. So trope.

Why is it that games like Zelda keep it fresh even though they're RPGs? They explore new worlds in each title. Sure you have the same-old demon. But some of the most memorable dungeons for me are those that I played in Skyward Sword. It's very rare you see a technologically advance mesoamericanish vibe to a civilization that controls time. That's unique. It also makes me want to explore that world more. Give me a forest filled with spiders and a huge dungeon with a dragon at the bottom of the cavern, and I'll go back to playing baldur's gate 2.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Kind of a hard sell. The name contains "Torment", which wouldn't appeal to parents. There's also a picture of a really ugly berk on the front and the setting is hard to explain to outsiders. Those factors limit the market appeal. There's no other media of this type that people could use to relate; unlike, say, a normal D&D game where there is at least existing mythology and the works of Tolkien. You've also got a small market to begin with: CRPG, of which those who are enthusiastic about PS:T form an even smaller portion. It's a bit like trying to sell a Spelljammer CRPG. (Yes I know there has been one.)

If games like Wasteland 2 and PE are successful in the market, then they may lead publishers to reconsider more exotic themes like PS:T. So cross your fingers. :)

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I heard the PS:T sourcecode was lost, so making an update would be impossible? Can't remember where I heard that so take from it what you will.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

Supposedly Overhaul is interesting in having a remake of Planescape after they finish the 'enhanced editions' of BG 1 and 2. I know that Bioware lost the original art assets for BG (somehow) so they couldn't make an HD version, but it might still be possible for PST.

Wanna bet that the art and assets for all of the Infinity Engine games has *mysteriously* disappeared into thin air? It's the best excuse for not updating the graphics of the enhanced edition you know....

Or maybe I am wrong and the underpants gnomes really did steal all of the assets. ^^

:closed:

Supposedly Overhaul is interesting in having a remake of Planescape after they finish the 'enhanced editions' of BG 1 and 2. I know that Bioware lost the original art assets for BG (somehow) so they couldn't make an HD version, but it might still be possible for PST.

NO. NO. NO. NO NO.

Jesus, Ostner, don't you have no shame?

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

I really doubt that much (if any) of that data was saved. Too bad, really. I sure would like to play many 2D games from the 90's in higher resolutions.

You can play PS:T in high resolution if you install widescreen patch, Ghostdog's UI mod for example.

Actually, it's not really a higher resolution. It's only more pixels on the screen, but graphics are smaller because they use EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF PIXELS. The same thing goes for all Infinity Engine games. If you crank the resolution up, everything is merely smaller, not more detailed.

According to what they were saying about a PST sequel, they specifically stated that the D&D element of it was too restricting and actually hurt the game. They said if they did a sequel.. oh what the hell here's the post.

“A better approach would be to ignore the D&D mechanics and respect what Planescape was trying to do and what the game did,” said Avellone to GI. “And see if you can do what Fallout did when it became the spiritual successor to Wasteland.” He’d still keep the plane travel concept and metaphysical concepts, but says the D&D elements actually “got in the way of the experience.” He continues, “That was stuff that D&D didn’t allow for. It was too restraining in some respects. If we did do a spiritual successor, then I don’t know if we’d use the Planescape licence or attach the mechanics, perhaps something that has a different feel to Torment.”

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.