Music, one of the most important issues?

Guest Papylon

But if you don't enjoy music you don;t have to listen to it. Does that mean the game should have no score at all?

I'd rather they spend effort and love on a good sound, even if not everyone will get to enjoy it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I will hold you to that. ;)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

But if you don't enjoy music you don;t have to listen to it. Does that mean the game should have no score at all?

I'd rather they spend effort and love on a good sound, even if not everyone will get to enjoy it.

I don't want that at all. I actually do enjoy music and I hope the music is good. Just pointing out that there are reasons some people wouldn't listen to it.

Guest Papylon

In terms of music for games I don't think there are many better composers than Paul Anthony Romero (Heroes of Might & Magic series).

Apparently he also made the theme song for Storm of Zehir. :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE&

Wow, almost forgot that soudtrack. It was nice in it´s very cartoonish way. Very cute and got quite tiresome in the long run.

Guest Papylon

The whole discussion of taste is basically pointless. Page 1 in internet debates. Of course we have different tastes. What is interesting is what makes for good computer game music, what setting fits with what kind of combination of ambient sound, tempo of music and what degree of repetition that is ok. I guess that the music of Eternity Project is not going to be a full orchestra, although orchestras can be emulated. Although Mark Morgan or Michael Hoenig did not use that many live musicians, or did they?

One question I would like to raise is whether the culturally western mediaval and classical (or at least the way we THINK it sounds) music of Baldurs Gate and IW 2 is really the best for a fantasy setting or if it´s more interesting to take the route of Bastion:

...Where we still have a fantasy-ish setting but with music that is more contemporary and has another take on the role of a soundtrack.

Guest Papylon

Bastion is, at least in an indirect way, an inspiration of mine when it comes to writing music. Check out this video of the composer talking about his process, its great.

http://www.gamasutra...for_Bastion.php

Just started watching, very interesting. One thing he says stood out, "music led the design", which is really nice to hear. Maybe if more developers took this route they might end up in places they did not previously expect to end up in.

[...] spend effort and love on a good sound [...]

This will happen :)

Justin, while we've got you here, just have to say: love those last few seconds from the Dirge of Eir Glanfath, with the whispering winds and the chimes and the flute and the bells. Haunting and evocative, completely nailed it.

Lots of people like Arcanum's soundtrack, don't listen to the JRPG players, their opinions are worthless.

You are a small-minded fool.

I play all manner of RPGs, never much cared for this particular cultural divide. And actually my favorite sound track of all time goes to an obscure under-appreciated JRPG called Nier. The soundtrack alone makes that game worth playing in my opinion. Some examples (more than I could embed, so I'll just do links):

Ah heck, every track in this game is worth listening to. Just go check it out.

One interesting thing about the Nier soundtrack is the heavy use of vocals, which is unusual in RPGs but they're in a very subdued and haunting style (in most tracks) so they still work as background music. I mean, the first one I linked to is the standard field music. But it works. The last link I posted is from a boss fight, so you have some idea what this style sounds like in combat. But it's the soft, quiet themes like Grandma and Kaine where this soundtrack really shines.

So yeah, I like Nier's music. A lot.

Justin, while we've got you here, just have to say: love those last few seconds from the Dirge of Eir Glanfath, with the whispering winds and the chimes and the flute and the bells. Haunting and evocative, completely nailed it.

Thanks! I'm happy with it turned out too.

Lots of people like Arcanum's soundtrack, don't listen to the JRPG players, their opinions are worthless.

You are a small-minded fool.

I play all manner of RPGs, never much cared for this particular cultural divide. And actually my favorite sound track of all time goes to an obscure under-appreciated JRPG called Nier. The soundtrack alone makes that game worth playing in my opinion. Some examples (more than I could embed, so I'll just do links):

Ah heck, every track in this game is worth listening to. Just go check it out.

One interesting thing about the Nier soundtrack is the heavy use of vocals, which is unusual in RPGs but they're in a very subdued and haunting style (in most tracks) so they still work as background music. I mean, the first one I linked to is the standard field music. But it works. The last link I posted is from a boss fight, so you have some idea what this style sounds like in combat. But it's the soft, quiet themes like Grandma and Kaine where this soundtrack really shines.

So yeah, I like Nier's music. A lot.

Never heard of it. Please make it stop, it hurts. Your taste is bad, you should feel bad. Apart from

and

Wow check that out! That's VERY old school.

I'm such a sucker for old synths...

On the Arcanum front: while I think the string quartet was a great idea, beautifully executed, which fit the game to a t, I did end up thinking its voluntary lack of breadth hurt it a bit in the end. Not to mention, it was probably too involved/involving for what it is supposed to be - I tend to find it works better on its own than as a part of the whole (one of my percussionist friends want to strangle "whoever thought it was a good idea" though... to each his own).

As for that weird jRPG divide... Isn't great music great music, no matter ts origin ? Is Sakimoto's music diminished by your not liking FFXII (let's not talk about the compression) ?

Count me in the camp of people that just cannot get the appeal the narrator/music of Bastion seem to have for some people... found it jarringly intrusive at best - and for no particular benefit.

Oh, and if anything, all those Nier extracts comfort me in my opinion that the access to live instrumentation and better quality of sound actually hurt video game music in general (though it did wonders in some particular cases) - more isn't always better, and there was a sketchiness to older game music that matched the higher graphical abstraction of those, and I find was often more fitting.

Thanks! I'm happy with it turned out too.

Oh yeah, the sound work at the end was probably my favorite part of it. Great work on that.

I'm a little miffed my first post was immediately grouped into a subset of players that supposedly lack taste in music. Gee thanks. The funny part is orchestral pieces are some of my absolute favorites. So I did go back and listen to the main Arcanum theme and found it quite good actually. On another note how about songs in Latin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2FGCFKFz3A

Which translates to:

Marrow, Never to Come

The moon silently tells

With a voice unheard by all

Of the ever-repeating rise of the tide

Whose sight I remember from my fading memories

The stars secretly tell

With letters known by none

Of infinite, swirling words

That birth books beyond count

The sky is too vast for one such as me

And the pace of time is far too swift

Forever lost

The words gathered for naught

Will simply rot inside the earth

Even so I will shout out

I will raise my voice not knowing why

At least its echo can reach the heavens

And before long the sun will rise

Also, did everyone *forget* how awesome The Witcher music was or something?

I like Arcanum's music, not all of it, but in general.

In terms of music for games I don't think there are many better composers than Paul Anthony Romero (Heroes of Might & Magic series).

Apparently he also made the theme song for Storm of Zehir. :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE&

They sound like rearrangements, or just played in a different key. Many oddly familiar pieces, that is..

Edited by wirednow

I am unfortunately one of the few people who really liked Arcanum's soundtrack.

You're not the only one. I LOVED Arcanum's string quartet score. Wish more games had scores that moved away from the full orchestral sound and used chamber music or other types of spare instrumentation. That said, some of Jeremy Soule's orchestral music is fantastic; the percussive menu/main theme for Icewind Dale is one of my all time favorite pieces of game music.

Basically, there are definitely times when a full, sweeping orchestral score is called for, but I hope they don't use it everywhere in PE just because it's the default for games like this. Given Justin Bell's comments, though, there seems to be good thinking on Obsidian's part on the types and functions of music in the game.

Justin are you going to be using different ethnic styles to represent cultures in the game or are you guys going for an over all

style for the game.

When they say Ancient for music are you talking about the over all feel of the music not say the instruments.

I just did game piece for fun using just East West's Platinum and Lexicon 960. I hit ever Cliche' in the book in this piece folks!

and I suck at spelling.

Naw times somesomething a little bit harder :)

I have one based on jrps movie music for you :) sorry ocelot :p

Beggining it's not to good but ater 40 sec it's goooood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUulyx5HM0

And From Vampire Masquarade Bloodlines imagine this music while figting

Sarevok

muhahahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFi4YunHFNQ

Edited by ArchBeast
  • Like 1