Music, one of the most important issues?

Guest Papylon

Lots of people like Arcanum's soundtrack, don't listen to the JRPG players, their opinions are worthless.

Oh?

Never played any Arcanum myself but how does liking it's soundtrack have anything to do with what RPGs you play?

While I rather enjoy some of the pieces being posted, I am much of a minimilist myself. I'm alway amazed at how much you can accomplish when you largely feature a piano. Such a horribly versatile instrument and by far my favorite.

You get some legendary tunes that are extremely "small" like:

This tune is almost cruel when you get to it in game. I'd say the overall feel is "Hope" but *when* you're listening to it you feel nothing but "Loss".

Then there's:

Music is definately mega important to a game. I'd say the most important part is creating your own style that fits the game (Planescape: Torment and The Witcher come to mind) as well as not overextending the music itself.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now because the Clannadverse takes it's toll even listening to 2 songs.

I'm loving the YouTube links of this Baldur's Gate music, really bringing it back for me. Music is incredibly important to the overall feel of an area, whether it be a tavern, a cave, or a huge city - here's hoping we'll have some great scores to look forward to with this game.

Lots of people like Arcanum's soundtrack, don't listen to the JRPG players, their opinions are worthless.

I played only 2 (mayby 3) JRPG games FF7, FF8 and 3 i don't remember. I played ARCANUM, BG, Gothic 1-2-2NR-3, NwN 1, NWN 2, NWN2 Mask of B, Icewind Dale 2 and many many many more CRPG's and ARPG's. So basiacly i'm RPG (all kinds) player.

YOUR opinin is worthless, narrowminded and offending. I liked Arcanum but music was his big problem. If you compere Arcanum music to eny other game music (even Skyrim) you will see how much it has been week. Acranum was great but chis music has level of today's pokemon music or something like this, it was awfull.

I personaly played Arcanum, and move on. Your evolution propobly started and ended on Arcanum an it's OK im sorry for you but it is your problem not mine. But saying that someone else opinion is worthless (especialy in game music) becouse they played JRPG shows only your childlish level.

I hate BG or Other Funboys (especialy narrowminded fanatics) who think that there is only one game and any other gamers are for imbecils, that only shows your hidden problems. Beouse of you The imege of RPG-fans is not wery good, becouse of some Fanatics opinion of all else go's dawn.

Next time if you whant to say that "Someones opinin i worthless", think some time about yoursell, mayby YOUR opninion has no value..

And i still think that mako reactor music from FF7 is the best mayby becouse it was my first game, i'm open on other opinions and i personaly think that anywons opinion has value.

And again Mako Reactor Music this time HQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswfLcROs-0

Edited by ArchBeast

Yep, JRPG music still awful.

For a pc rpg like PE I agree, but in general for the games they're made for they work perfectly. I would never want to hear Final Fantasy music in my infinity engine games that's for sure.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Yep, JRPG music still awful.

For a pc rpg like PE I agree, but in general for the games they're made for they work perfectly. I would never want to hear Final Fantasy music in my infinity engine games that's for sure.

No becouse it don't fitt. This music was desined for make reactor not wood, citys or tawern.

For the record, I've played my share of JRPG as well as western ones. I've heard soundtracks for both types are great and others I don't care for. It's all just a matter of personal taste right? In that regard, no one's opinion is worthless, we all bring something valuable to say in these forums. I personally enjoy hearing from everyone wether I agree with them or not. So thanks for posting and keep the discussion alive (and respectful)!

• Like 1

I've mentioned them in an earlier post, but since people apparently are posting links to examples of what they like, good idea here are some of mine, by all means check them out on youtube, you can browse some of the other songs on their respective albums.

http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=P4p3MXrXlO4 From Quest for Glory V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7XeUgrcdk From Beyond Good and Evil

/watch?v=7eqMszMGUww From Bastion

/watch?v=8eqetqwcWEo Moiety theme from Riven.

/watch?v=qBX17HxLy_g From Guild Wars

I could only post so many links so the others just have the watch code to end at the end of the youtube url.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I take it back, it's incredibly valuable to me to read in broken English that a talented string quartet from the Seattle Symphony is literally the worst.

I think the point here is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people don't like string quartet, some people don't like death metal, and some people don't like Justin Beiber. And that's ok. I make it a point to feel confident and reassured enough in my own tastes and opinions, and just accept the fact that not everyone will share it.

• Like 1

I take it back, it's incredibly valuable to me to read in broken English that a talented string quartet from the Seattle Symphony is literally the worst.

I think the point here is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people don't like string quartet, some people don't like death metal, and some people don't like Justin Beiber. And that's ok. I make it a point to feel confident and reassured enough in my own tastes and opinions, and just accept the fact that not everyone will share it.

So long as those same people realize that opinion and tastes also do not constitute fact. ;)

Not everyone can even agree that the music score of a CRPG is important. But that makes me cry. :(

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well, we have the awesome theme songs thread in computer and consoles. It's filled with awesome music tracks, like Deus Ex's...

A good song on the main menu is half a game (maybe seeing Adam play IWD2 and here the theme also makes me reminiscent of that)...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And I haven't nor plan to interfere with that entitlement.

• Like 1

I can see myself enjoying a pub, this blasting loudly in my ear, hearing a bit of rumour but being able to hear the person next you (companion dialogue volume all the way down).

"What?"

"I said, let's go outside so we can discuss some options"

"What!?"

Man it would be so cool to have a scene like that in the game :)

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I felt this was more appropriate here than the live music thread per se.

Still not expecting this scale, but... For all the flak MMOs get here ( :p), I love the orchestral score of Lord of the Rings Online and am looking forward to the new score coming with the Rohan expansion. Making of (especially 3:47):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNlmNiluPQ

and 2:25

Edited by Ieo

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Not everyone can even agree that the music score of a CRPG is important. But that makes me cry. :(

One of the first things I will do when I get the game is turn off the music. I apologize. But I play games in a room with other people doing other things.

Edited by ogrezilla

One of the first things I will do when I get the game is turn off the music. I apologize. But I play games in a room with other people doing other things.

Nah, that's understandable. I used to turn off all my sounds in college because I had a roommate.

But that was also before I had good-quality headphones. ;)

Nah, that's understandable. I used to turn off all my sounds in college because I had a roommate.

But that was also before I had good-quality headphones. ;)

It is frowned upon to mute the wife though ;)

• Like 1