Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #21: 5 days left!

project eternity update 21 kickstarter forton monk streaming adam brennecke

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5036 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How unnerving it must be for Adam always having to remember not to pick his nose,

TMI... :shifty: A saline spray cleansing is good for that, once you're used to it.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9038 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't know. I would normally not even think about bugging you guys, but if you do another open door during production, I might come over. [...]

If I lived in S. Calif. instead of N. Calif, and they did something like that, I'd be there. Standing in a corner acting like a useless giggly fangirl, but there. I haven't been able to convince hubby to move south yet, however. ;)

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is that monk channeling David Carradine?

You read my mind, its like a balding version of him, but I changed my mind, I don't think he's one of the Godlike.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Well, I updated my pledge to the utmost I can throw into the pot. I'm seriously hoping that obsidz can make the final stretch goal. I think it's possible if folks keep pushing and urging friends to do the same.

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I hope in the next update they reveal the 6th race and more about the other races and the Monk, Druid, and Ranger.

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
I missed Adam's Ustream... and there is no archive link on the ustream channel :(

Tell me it ain't so :(

Was it lost for good?
Or will it be available at ustream or youtube?

Edited by hideo kuze, 12 October 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Guest_ichiwcu_*

Guest_ichiwcu_*
  • Guests

I missed Adam's Ustream... and there is no archive link on the ustream channel :(

Tell me it ain't so :(

Was it lost for good?
Or will it be available at ustream or youtube?

I hope so, I am unable to catch the streams this weekend but would love to watch them next week.

Cutting it close but I should be able to up my ante by Tuesday not sure what I am going to add but hopefully it will help :D

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Has anybody posted the PE KS story to SlashDot yet? It would likely be of interest to that community (assuming KS isn't concerned about being slashdotted).

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
My copy-paste of the most relevant questions (basically 90% of what was answered) from the PCGamer live interview.

Josh Sawyer:
Dyrwood and Eir Glanfath are a very small part of the overall world. The entire map that's show on our KS page is an area maybe a little smaller than Spain. In terms of Project Eternity, you will be spending your time exploring in and around Dyrwood and Eir Glanfath (though not necessarily all of it :))

Josh Sawyer:
We will have very little level scaling and almost entirely in critical path areas since there's a lot of variability in when players approach them. Especially when it comes to optional content and general exploration, there will be no level-scaling. In this regard, Fallout: New Vegas might be a fair comparison.

Adam Brennecke:
We plan on having limited voice acting. Only for major characters and companions, and not for all conversations. We will have voice-sets for characters. Very similar to how the IE games handled voice acting.

Josh Sawyer:
Player choice and impact are very important to us, so "a lot". We want players to feel like they can solve quests their way and take the story in a direction that they want to take it, from little things to big things.

Comment From Spike
Can we expect the game world to be even bigger than that in Baldur's Gate 2 (in terms of its sheer volume, the amount of quests, npc interactions and such)?
Adam Brennecke:
Our goal is to make it as long as possible with the funding that we get from Kickstarter.

Josh Sawyer:
the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.

Comment From Gallowglass
Is there a chance of Justin Sweet's (creator of IWD II portraits) involvement in the Project?
Adam Brennecke:
We've talked here about contacting Vance and Justin but we haven't had a chance yet.

Josh Sawyer:
we don't really think about things in terms of good or evil choices, but in terms of choices that a relatively sane/rational person would make with an understandable motive. sometimes it makes sense to allow players to be cruel, but it has to work in the context of what's going on. the game and its story aren't about being good or evil but deciding what values (and people, and groups) are most important to you -- and what you're willing to sacrifice to defend them.

Josh Sawyer:
we haven't decided on the number of subraces per race, and cultures are separate from races/subraces, so that's even more up in the air. if we do have more subraces for certain races than other, it will not be by a large margin. we want to make the field of choices relatively even.

Josh Sawyer:
since tactical combat is one of the core features from IE that we're trying to emulate, we're not specifically designing the game for a pacifist run. that said, we do want to give the player many options to avoid combat, either through stealth, conversation, or the use of other skills. tim and i both want to make sure that players have a lot of options to use non-combat skills across the game. we think it adds a lot to the game.

Josh Sawyer:
we haven't designed much of the advancement system, but it will likely feel similar to 3E/3.5 D&D. you will gain XP and advance by level, selecting new abilities/feats/spells/skills as you level up.

Josh Sawyer:
in cases where design mechanics tend to lead to degenerate gameplay (e.g. savescumming, rest spamming), we try to think of ways to remove the degeneration without harming the enjoyable mechanical elements. if a mechanic seems like it's not adding genuine challenge, we question if it should stand as-is.
with regard to regenerating health and spell cooldowns, we're not intending on having the former (though we have talked about a darklands endurance-like stat), and spells will not have cooldowns in the way that some people have assumed (per spell). when we discuss spell mechanics, i've tried to use the term "lockout" to communicate that it's much like a sorcerer exhausting an entire level of casting in 3E D&D.

Edited by hideo kuze, 12 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

• nikolokolus, Olauron Mor-Galad, Tychoxi and 4 others like this

Sugarjaye

Sugarjaye

Petite Death of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Location:Valley of the Norther Rivers in the Land of Down Under
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wooooo George Ziets :)

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Awesome. Now I know my monk will have a monkly brother! I will have fists of frost to his fists of fire! We shall be fire and ice! (not a plug for that Martin guy) Now all I need is a paladin, a chanter, a rogue and a mage. We shall walk softly, but be full of righteous might and enlightenment.

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Regarding update #21 on KS:

This baby is simply looking great!

Posted Image

The giant statue is a wonderful stroke at making the dungeon a whole lot more interesting.
I really! want to see what secrets it holds!
And learn about who made that statue. And why. And why it's buried!

I really like these types of adventures.
To be able to explore ancient dungeons/ruins and find out about new things, that the rest of the game-world hasn't discovered yet.

Now for the not so good:

Posted Image

The problem with Forton is his stance which is plain wrong... unless he's a level 1 noob.
Being a chinese martial arts practitioner that portrait made me cringe.
That stance is a knee cap killer. Nobody lasts long damaging their knee caps like that.
The front leg should be with a 90 degree angle, with the knee cap basically over his heel (or just a little bit more). Otherwise you have your weight at your knee joint, which you don't want.
As for the back leg the feet should be at 45 degrees, otherwise (like you can see in the pic) you end up with the knee is pointing towards the side instead of the front. Which is knee injury inducer since that stance (Deng Shan Bu) requires alignment as you're supposed to use your back leg to generate power by pushing (from Si Liu Bu to Deng Shan Bu).
And if you want to be perfectionist, the front foot should also be pointing at 45 degrees in order to protect his groin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do view the first 15 seconds: https://www.youtube....h?v=dq0xnJidZs0

Posted Image in 3 you use the back leg to push forward and generate power that connects with your punch
(not perfect case since he isn't in Su Liu Bu)
http://www.usashaoli...inside-kung-fu/

And give Forton some proper shoes!
One doesn't simply walk into Mordor using sandals :/
You want to protect your feet in the battle field.

A good reference for the scene you're trying to capture: https://www.youtube....h?v=Pr3jhXgpxSE

If this concept art is to be used in the game, I would ask for OE to correct it.
Just as the Cadegum was corrected because it's what makes sense.

Edited by hideo kuze, 12 October 2012 - 04:49 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid, Ieo, SqueakyCat and 4 others like this

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Forton - because dirty pants and sandals in a world where even mages wear armor being afraid of bullets. Makes complete sense.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And give Forton some proper shoes!
One doesn't simply walk into Mordor using sandals :/
You want to protected your feet in the battle field.

If this concept art is to be used in the game, I would ask for OE to correct it.
Just as the Cadegum was corrected because it's what makes sense.

I noticed the stance too. :p Awkward...

And he's not just wearing sandals (which can have a heel strap and other designs)--it's worse than that.

He's wearing FLIP FLOPS. :o

Edited by Ieo, 12 October 2012 - 05:29 PM.

• SqueakyCat likes this

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

-a lot of good stuff-

Being a martial artist myself (Hung Ga, Yee lineage, 5th generation from Wong Fei Hung) I can't stress how important the points made by hideo kuze are... please do allow your concept artists, as well as class developers, to study the actual real-world background of the characters you create!

:)

As much as I disliked the game, the Diablo 3 monk, in its own unrealistic ways, got a lot of this right.

Edited by mstark, 12 October 2012 - 05:18 PM.

Hornet85

Hornet85

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
This is just a game, not a martial arts simulator. Its set in a fantasy world, with fantasy being.

Did any of you guys wrote strong letters to the producers after watching Armageddon? Complaining that its impossible for the space shuttle to leave low earth orbit and asteroid's debris don't have GPS.

I didn't. I knew those facts but I also knew that sometimes you have to separate reality from entertainment for it to be entertaining.

Edited by Hornet85, 12 October 2012 - 05:23 PM.

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
The same could be said about the breast plate issue...
This is just a game, not a breasts plate simulator. Its set in a fantasy world, with fantasy being.

Just because it's a fantasy game it doesn't mean it needs to a victim of all sorts of mistakes.
It would be the same thing as having swords look like those silly models that are 2 times bigger than the character itself. That isn't fantasy, that is bad design.
Also, like I said, if this concept art will not be used again, there is no need to spend time correcting it.

The reason I was so detailed in my post was that I wanted to justify my points, instead of simply saying that is wrong.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
Everytime I see the Monks name, I think of Fortran. ;(

Tychoxi

Tychoxi

Sciscitator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This is just a game, not a breasts plate simulator. Its set in a fantasy world, with fantasy being.

Just because it's a fantasy game it doesn't mean it needs to a victim of all sorts of mistakes.

but as long as they don't stretch it past certain thresholds and on several fronts, they get a pass... The sketch also rubbed me in a bad way, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong!

Anyway, the 3M mark is so close...

Edited by Tychoxi, 12 October 2012 - 06:57 PM.

agewisdom

agewisdom

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts

It would be the same thing as having swords look like those silly models that are 2 times bigger than the character itself. That isn't fantasy, that is bad design.
Also, like I said, if this concept art will not be used again, there is no need to spend time correcting it.

The reason I was so detailed in my post was that I wanted to justify my points, instead of simply saying that is wrong.

I agree with this. If the stance doesn't make sense, it should be changed. After all, the monk definitely looks human - so applying human standards to it makes good sense to me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update 21, kickstarter, forton, monk, streaming, adam brennecke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users