Garnering information, quests, and loading screens.

One of the coolest experiences I ever had was in Skyrim.

I was reading a book about Trolls, said they were susceptible to fire. That was freakin awesome, I didn't need some loading screen tip to tell me or some online wiki, it was just presented in-game from the narrative of a troll hunter.

I'd love to see loading screen tips eliminated all-together, and for knowledge about certain enemies found in books...or since there is no printing press in PE then through spoken word.

Taking that to another level, what if there are no quest markers and instead only the knowledge you find.

One thing that I liked and hated about skyrim were the quest markers. You have a much closer relationship with a quest if your not just steamrolling from marker to marker, but on the other side of it extreme frustration can set in by having no idea where to go.

Perhaps there could be an option to turn quest markers on and off.

What do you guys think/feel?

• Like 2

Did you play Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment?

You can find plenty of information on everything there.

Of course, a lot also from books. But who doesn't say there are a large number of illegal books still around. All the more valuable...

I can savely guarantee there would be no stupid ! markers. Nope, not even the option...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Taking that to another level, what if there are no quest markers and instead only the knowledge you find.

May I ask how old you are?

This was normal a couple of yers ago ;)

Questmarker are one of the things why i don´t like modern RPG. Some of us aren´t brainless and can solve Quests without magical arrows pointing the way to everything we need.

Yeah, you can disable them, but most modern journals won´t give you enough informations and you are forced to use these markers. God, I miss the old IE games and Morrorwind Questbooks, where you have to think for yourself.

I hope Obsidian won´t implement Questmarker and if so, we need atleast an option to disable them und have a usefull questbook.

BTW: There is a rather big sidequest in the Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim which you can actualy finish without questmarkers. A Book provides all the necessary informations about the various places, scriptic pictures, which will help you to solve puzzles, disarm traps and so on. In my opinion, that was the best Quest in the whole Game.

Edited by TXTwilight

Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy Skyrim as much as everyone else. It really had a spoon fed feeling to it, sure it had great graphics and combat, but I just could never really immerse myself into the game fully. Now you got me wanting to install Morrorwind again, only issue I 'ever' had with that game was not being told until after I killed an NPC that it would now prevent me from finishing the game.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Having location markers and no quest markers makes sense and hopefully they would only switched on when the character/s have been close enough to it on the map.

This way you don't run towards a marker but explore and just have it as a reminder once you've found it.

Also, being able to put your own markers like in BG2 is great.

They had quest markers in BG. It was called Named NPCs.

As for loading screens. I'm not someone who reads all the in-game books unless they're related to a quest. I can count the number of books in Skyrim I read on one hand. So I think the loading screens are a perfect place to put lore blurbs. Especially if they're numerous. Loading screens get really old by the end, but if there is a decent number of lore blurbs related to the areas we're in that would be super.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I always liked the loading screen tip that suggested the player take a break and get something to eat because they didn't want the player to die.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always liked the loading screen tip that suggested the player take a break and get something to eat because they didn't want the player to die.

X-Com needs this lol.

Something like: You're still playing??? Go take a shower, you probably smell by now.

So I think the loading screens are a perfect place to put lore blurbs
Putting information on loading screens is not good for anyone who's got SSD drives.

I'm just playing through BG2 again, on 4x RAID0 SSDs (700MB R/W). The area loading times are approximately 0.1 seconds, and there's no way in hell I have time to read any of the text on a loading screen :(

(and installation took a whopping 10 seconds to extract all the files - last time I installed BG2, 10 years ago, it took 45min+ :D)

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I'm just playing through BG2 again, on 4x RAID0 SSDs (700MB R/W). The area loading times are approximately 0.1 seconds, and there's no way in hell I have time to read any of the text on a loading screen :(

Yeah, that happens alot with older games, loads just too fast to even read the loading tips. Not that I'm really complaining that much :)

I remember the "keep your character around for Neverwinter Nights"... oh my...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee