We've been shown two Gods in the Game, which seem to have cultural specific names btw.

I like the twist on the fire and war Goddess (anyone else get an American Revolution feel from her?) and the Light and Redemption God.

So what other Gods would you like to see in the game.

I'd like to see a Nature Goddess, A Necromaticon type God/s, A God like DCs Sleez, God of Water/Ice, A Goddess of Knoweldge and Magic, God of Love and the Hunt (think Cupid without the diaper), Goddess of Time, God of Death and the Earth and Goddess of Undeath, Ancestor Spirits (acting as a Collective God), A Goddess of Thieves and Crime, The Lars a Collective of minor Gods, A fiendish God of Suffering and Revenge.

Just a few suggestions, any other ideas?

I have always found gods of particular monsters as interesting, like a Fire Giant god or a god of Bugbears. Or a pantheon of monster gods

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What kinds of god's there are don't really matter to me too much, but what i would like to see in P:E is God interaction and conflict. I don't mean the player has their preferred God's cell phone number, but something similar to TOEE where, If you were a follower or someone who did something on behalf of (Insert God name here) that god intervenes to help you. But In sort of a Greek God lore fashion. I mean being a Paladin of Eothas should have its perks besides being able to Lay on Hands. I'm not saying this should only apply to the religious classes though. If you happened to find the head of a Shrine to the Fire and War god, and fix the shrine just because you felt like it, that could possibly win you some favor without you knowing. In BG i remember donating tons of money to gods and getting nothing but reputation points and i felt a little cheated. In TOEE i gave money to St. Cuthbert and in the end stages of the game he literally saved me from Death and the hand of another god. Which blew my mind! I want more stuff like that in this game, but maybe not always so combat focused.

Although I haven't watched the whole series, I found the character "Ryuk" in the Death Note manga series (I've actually only watched the anime but same difference) one of the more interesting fictional "diety" portrayals I've come across.

Basically (minor spoilers), he chucks his "death note" (that allows him to decide who dies and how) book into the human world for the sole reason that he's bored and wants to see what happens when a mortal picks it up and decides to use it. Very Greek mythology-esque but with a nice twist. One of the neat scenes in the series is Ryuk casually eating an apple while talking to the protagonist and sitting there on a desk in the guy's bedroom while looking completely out of place. It was pretty surreal but a bit humorous at the same time.

He's more of a sort of grim reaper type character than a "god" per say, but still pretty "supernatural". Anyways, I guess this is all meaningless if you haven't read/watched it, but it's good stuff :)

But ya something like that would be cool.

Edited by NoxNoctum

Darnitol, the god of minor inconveniences. He lives on the plane of lost socks. Is worshipped by pranksters and sock makers. o:)

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

Insumnus, God of Silence. Insumnus does not sense the natural world the way do, perceiving metaphysical occurrences and patterns of events as sound. Harmony and stagnation are music to his ears, while he finds the sounds of discord and evolution to be highly irritating. All that Insumnus really wants is a few eons of rest, but he cannot even hear himself think over the torturous din of innumerable living things competing to survive. As billions of years of sleep deprivation have eroded his sanity, he taken the task of lowering the volume of the Universe's noise himself, making example of particularly noisy worlds and sending dreams of his deeds to his prophets on others as a warning. He is not powerful enough to silence even a fraction of the total noise that afflicts him before the Universe's natural death, but his mind is too decayed to comprehend the futility of his task.

Scarcely anyone who knows of Insumnus loves him. Instead, most prayers that he receives come in the form of song, songs that are unfathomably harmonious while subtley repetitive. These hymns are designed to distract and confuse Insomnus, sometimes lingering in the back of his mind for a long time after they have ended, to get stuck in his head so to speak. While they are somewhat effective in slowing the pace of Insomnus's omnicidal rampage, only once in every few lifetimes is anyone born who can use their prayer to worm their way deep enough into Insomnus's subconscious to truly stun him. As a result, some of Insomus's more fanatical prophets have taken a more direct approach in protecting the world from his wrath, secretly murdering inventors and all else who would risk a dangerously noisy change to the status quo. Some prophets, after having particularly vivid dreams of the violence the Insomnus has committed will even go as far as to attempting to sharply depopulate the world in the hopes that Insomnus will harmlessly pass by out world in the pursuit of one more noisy.

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedalius, the confused god of everything that's long!

I guess I've found my patron diety then.

Seriously, I'd like to see a weak marginalised god who pertitions the players for help to rise back to their former glory - might be fun. They would be the god of, well, something that used to be relevant but isn't so relevant anymore.

I find "god of ---" set ups extremely shallow. Pick an element, pick some human activity or characteristic, and arbitrarily relate the two. Very clumsy and very stale. Why should a god willingly limit himself to a specific tiny niche, and why should people worship that god to the exclusion of others when his doctrine only deals with a few fragments of mortal life? It works in unified pantheons were the gods are generally all "on the same team" despite personal rivalries, wherein the faithful worship the whole the bunch collectively and focus on one or the other depending on their immediate concerns. But in a late middle ages era with competing churches and themes of religious conflict, emulating pagan traditions is very out of place. The way that D&D settings traditionally handle it is extremely bad. Religion in a late middle ages era should represent highly institutionalized, intellectualized, politicized, worldviews, not the spiritual equivalent of picking a sport's team because you like its motto and the colour of its uniform.

So I always hope to see set ups where the gods, despite identifying particularly with this element or that activity, still claim supremacy over the entirety of mortal life and promote comprehensive worldviews that would actually impact the way that people live. So instead of god of knowledge who appeals only to scholars and bards, make a god who preaches that all suffering can be stopped through the identification of and rigid adherence to axiomatic laws, resulting in a highly legalistic theocracy that is polarized between an academic elite and a close-minded rural base. Instead of a god of time who appeals only to historians and clockmakers, a god who preaches that the physical world is fundamentally sinful and corrupt and that therefore the role of the faithful is to endure the different phases of their life as stoically as possible, because the decay of their physical bodies over time represents their gradual liberation towards a more pure state of being, whose worship is particularly popular among the oppressed and impoverished. Or instead of a chaotic-lulzy god of thieves and trickery who appeals only to society's misfits, a god who preaches that the world exists so that mortals may explore the mind of god through it, meaning no mortal state may impede the faithful from sensory pursuits, resulting in a religious culture of lawlessness and hedonism on one extremes but great artistic and intellectual accomplishment on the other.

It has to make sense to why entire cultures and nations would worship a deity, and how that deity's worship would impact how they view different, unrelated aspects of their life. In relation to P:E and souls, there are so many ways to build this sort of theology as different gods offer different explanations as to the nature of the world, the nature of the soul, and a mortal's obligations in life in order to advance the soul along some spiritual objective. If that potential started and stopped at "god of war, whom you pray to for fighting" and "god of nature, who doesn't want you to chop down trees" it would be both a terrible waste and terribly boring.

Edited by Sarog
  • Like 2

I like dualist gods in my fiction. Gods of both creation and destruction, life and death, Lies and truth. Secrets and knowledge. Light and shadow. you get the gist.

I have more trouble believing someone would worship a god of lies, in the hope his lies won't be seen, than someone who worships a god of truth and lies.

after all, if the truth comes out despite him preferring it didn't, well, the god of truth and lies decide to go with the truth this time.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.