Customizable Stronghold  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want your stronghold to be strongly customizable or rather be strongly adjusted to the scenario?

• Strongly customizable - Representaion And Content: Flags, Coat of Arms, Interior, Thematic Rooms, Furniture
    • Mediocre Customizable - Only Aspects Of Represention: Flags, Coat of Arms
    • I want Obsidian to make all the choices for me.
    • Other - please explain in a comment.

The Stronghold. Not reached yet, but i am very confident that it is a realistic goal. And i really would like to see that you can make your own banner and coat of arms. What about you?

Edited by HumanFlesh+5

Trum, trum, terum tum tum - the landsknecht and his gaudy war drum.

There's a couple of things I worry about with strongholds.

For me, the whole game could be about building something up. I'm a builder at heart.

My biggest worry is that the Stronghold a player builds will be "upgraded" to a maximum and then lose all relevancy, except for the few quests it may offer, and the way it acts as a gold sink by adding merchants and a storage place, and little else.

I would like to see upgrades with purpose and limited by choice.

Say, for example you are a spellcasting class, you may want to construct a "wizards tower" as an upgrade. instead of having this just be a player home, you could for instance think about spells that you can only do here. (because it is a place of power, perhaps thanks to a quest that makes it so, a ritual consecrating the place needing other spellcasters, I trust in the devs imagination here) Perhaps you can choose what type of tower and super spells you can cast here. be it ressurection or powerful curse lifting and healing, or maybe it allows you to divine truths that help you solve quests. cast plague spells on an entire region... whatever, something big.

the point is that in this example your stronghold is functional throughout the game. different classes would have different benefits and choices facing them.

balancing the power of such things can be done by limiting the benefits to only be obtainable at your stronghold, or making them costly (sacrificing XP for effect?)

this way you can also add another gold-sink to your game, without making player wealth seem arbitrary past a certain point.

Edit: Also, I would enjoy it if a stronghold remained accessible throughout most of the game. That wasn't possible in Baldurs Gate: Shadows of Amn, and I found it quite a pity to lose my thieves guild because I had to leave it for a few weeks.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 2

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Mediocre is fine with me, I just don't want a stronghold that I have no decisions to make, which isn't likely to happen.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Since it is based upon a stretch goal, it is almost certain to have a good deal of customization options. I'd just prefer that the options were significant to the game in some manner. Otherwise, the players options will boil down to decorating your stronghold or buying better equipment.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So in the 2 in a half hours since I got home we've gained around 16k on kickstarter webpage. I think this stronghold isn't just a possibility but will defiantly happen sometime tomorrow. I know the trend won't stay this way but... i'm going to hope that it does.

Edited by Loranc

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

If it's going to be there, I'd like it to be explored functionally. Strongholds are there to defend from attack, and perhaps also to garrison a force, I'd like the effect of controlling a stronghold to have an effect on the world. NWN2 did some of this, and that's not necessarily the right model, but it's one path to go down.

The Stronghold. Not reached yet, but i am very confident that it is a realistic goal. And i really would like to see that you can make your own banner and coat of arms. What about you?

Let me think... I need a professional housekeeper, a messager, a personal physician,a dozen of pretty maids(God forgive me, one of them love me secretly),a bard who can write new song about my feat.

And, I need an elite personal army, a coach who can train them stronger, a blacksimth so I can upgrade weapons and armors for my army. Maybe I will choice one of my companion to become their commander in war time. I need them to defeat mercenary from other country, greedy robbers, and evil dargon.

I wsh to travel around the world to find suitable guys for my stronghold.

Also ,I need a luxury hall, a billiard room, so I can set a wine party for my subjects, and play board game with my companions.

That's all :ban: maybe more later~

Edited by bronzepoem
  • Like 1

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Yes, Obsdian really need to design a mini board game in PE so we can play it with my companions, or some visiting ladies :biggrin:

Let me think... I need a professional housekeeper, a messager, a personal physician,a dozen of pretty maids,a bard who can write new song about my feat.

And, I need an elite personal army, a coach who can train them stronger, a blacksimth so I can upgrade weapons and armors for my army. I need them to defeat mercenary from other country, greedy robbers, and evil dargon.

Also ,I need a luxury hall, a billiard room, so I can set a wine party for my subjects, and play board game with my companions.

i think PE will be modable ... :-P

Let me think... I need a professional housekeeper, a messager, a personal physician,a dozen of pretty maids,a bard who can write new song about my feat.

And, I need an elite personal army, a coach who can train them stronger, a blacksimth so I can upgrade weapons and armors for my army. I need them to defeat mercenary from other country, greedy robbers, and evil dargon.

i think PE will be modable ... :-P

I can't find the word "modable" in google dictionary :no:

because i kind of made it up ... but i think it's understandable. in german you can do this kind of word invention technique ... :-)

i could also change it to "changeable via mod" ^^

Edited by HumanFlesh+5

From the wiktionary, the only dictionary that matters.

moddable

[edit]English[edit]Etymology

mod +‎ -able[edit]Adjective

moddable (comparative more moddable, superlative most moddable)

1. (video games) That can be modded (modified by the end user).  [quotations ▼]

because i kind of made it up ... but i think it's understandable. in german you can do this kind of word invention technique ... :-)

i could also change it to "changeable via mod" ^^

No,no, not via mod~Obsidian can support what I want.They are omnipotent :devil: Edited by bronzepoem

I voted for "strongly customizable", but not in the way the poll propose it. I'd prefer more useful stuff, like armory's, tax revenues, improvement in fortification, etcetera... I really don't care about banners and flags.

• Like 1
LXIfI.jpg

Just limited. Full would take too much time of adding functional stuff to the keep, which is much more important!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

My god, we've gone up another 6000 in the past hour. At this rate we'll have 3 million sometime tonight. (okay my math sucks, using windows calculator at about 6,000 an hour we'll have 2.9 million with kickstarter + paypal by 12 pm est.)

Edited by Loranc

From the wiktionary, the only dictionary that matters.

moddable

[edit]English[edit]Etymology

mod +‎ -able[edit]Adjective

moddable (comparative more moddable, superlative most moddable)

1. (video games) That can be modded (modified by the end user).  [quotations ▼]

God, awesome dictionary!

But I think I can't easily use it. Our damn government set a firewall to every wiki websites :banghead: