High-Quality 3D models goal

First, it does not look terrible, so I can not take your opinion seriously. Secondly Project Eternity is an isometric game, what exactly are you expecting to see? We do not even know if we will get a 3D paperdoll so the discussion is rendered essentially pointless at the moment.

• Like 10

Since the backgrounds are 2d, they can actually afford to make 3D models look great without affecting the performance of a game.

Characters dont have to look extremely detailed, but I really hope there are a lot of customizationj options for my character. I really don't want to look like generic NPC #25, which was a problem back in many old RPGs.

• Like 2

It might depend on whatever type of inventory panel they decide to build. That sounds like the one place where you could see a closeup. But I don't think that would require a high polygon count to implement decently.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Dungeon Siege 3 isn't a very good example of Obsidian's low quality models. NWN2 definitely sets the bar for how bad they can be. Compare it to The Witcher since they used the same engine and were under development at the same time.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Is . . . that video supposed to be your idea of what looks good? Because it looks absolutely vile, to a truly ungodly extent . . . all of the characters, but especially the female characters, it's just revolting. Why . . . would you ever want that? In anything? Ever?

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 6

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I'm not terribly enamored with having the absolute latest and greatest in 3-D models/rigs for the ambulatory creatures in the game. P:E is, after all, an isometric game. We might be able to zoom in and out somewhat but this isn't going to be a 1st Person game in which a lower level of detail is going to be glaringly obvious or detrimental to our gaming experience. I say allocate the zots elsewhere.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Do we know if they actually going for 3d models? I'd prefer high quality 2d models as in baldurs gate.

Our backgrounds will be pre-rendered from high-detail 3D scenes and then touched up by hand as in the Infinity Engine games. Our characters and certain other objects (where it makes sense) will be rendered in 3D. Temple of Elemental Evil uses this type of combination.

As to OP: No. Also, ugly.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Is . . . that video supposed to be your idea of what looks good? Because it looks absolutely vile, to a truly ungodly extent . . . all of the characters, but especially the female characters, it's just revolting. Why . . . would you ever want that? In anything? Ever?

It's example of good detailed and animated 3d models.

P.S. Female characters of nonhuman race, your concept beauty not work here.

I'd be happy with small character models both in game and in any inventory / character screens. This removes the need to have a detailed model. A customisable picture (where you import a jpg) would be just as good as a very high polygon model, just way cheaper to implement.

Would be great to have good models though, even not too detailed. The ones in Panzar are quite bad.

Well you are right that it is an example of animated 3d models. The opinion of whether it is good detailed or not is personal. I don't like it and wouldn't want PE to look like that. Personally I'd rather have BG models than something that looked like that, I'd even prefer the Dungeon Siege models instead. Find a better example maybe.

• Like 2

If half the people here got their way we would be getting Infinity Engine style sprites and no models at all.

I should think yourself lucky Obsidian are giving us fully 3D characters Obyknven, detailed or not, they could have gone truly old school, but they wisely made concessions to technological advances of the last ten years.

Edit - Also like the others I do not like the look of the game you are posting, more videos is not going to change that.

Edited by Aedelric
  • Like 1

Good? Detailed? They look like . . . oddly deformed clay figurines . . . I'm sorry I'll take Planescape: Torment's graphical style for its characters and creatures . . . any day over rubbish like that. I have no idea what you think looks good in the video but I don't see it. I wouldn't ask for. And a game would have to be amazingly good to get me to look past graphics like those. They're just revolting looking. 3D can be done well, I'm sure . . . but this game does not require the sort of nonsense seen in that video. I'll take DS3 style low quality models over that even, especially in an isometric game since I doubt I'll be needing to count the amount of hairs on a character's forearm in P:E.

I am so glad Obsidian are getting away from nonsense like this that modern games keep producing.

P.S. Female characters of nonhuman race, your concept beauty not work here.

Trust me, what makes them revolting has nothing to do with ideas of beautiful or ugly.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Comparing completely different types of games. Might as well ask if Project Eternity will have high quality racing vehicle simulation or realistic voxel fluid mechanics.

The models will likely be low poly - this doesn't mean they will necessarily be "ugly", just that there is no reason to push a 500,000 triangle mesh to the video card for a character object that is relatively small on the screen.

• Like 1

Dungeon Siege III and NWN2 models look fine for the range they're meant to be viewed at. It's unfair to compare it to a MMORPG that's going to be released in 2013 using the CryEngine 3 for PC. Dungeon Siege III had to run on PS3 and Xbox 360, graphics from 2006 and 2005 with 512MB of memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ7iUHfX7LA&hd=1

O RLY?