DRM-Free Option -- Why not just make all Steam copies DRM free?

So, where you supposed to quote me then?

Since all I basically said is Steam isn't so draconic, but it's still DRM. Which is kinda what you're saying too, so making me confused why you want to convert me on it, since I already agree...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

i havent read your previous posts. im just saying that DRM itself isnt evil, it's the way they make it work that makes it look such. im not for the extreme use of it that seems to say "all customers are pirates" but i dont see the reason why people start crusades against it even when used in a non invasive or restrictive way. the simple cd checks of the 90s were also DRM, but i didnt see anyone complain about them.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the whole "Steam is/is not DRM" discussion pointless. It's semantics, with the position tied to the person's opinion of Steam. Since there's already a non-Steam option, the point is moot.

The thing with steam, if you actually take the time to read the license agreement, is you aren't actually buying games, you are licensing them. Valve can at any time revoke your license and you can't play the games you've purchased. In practice its essentially the same as buying it, because its not likely Valve will revoke any licenses unless someone is found trying to hack steam or something, but in theory if you had any licenses revoked and your hard drive died, you would have to shell out again for any of those games.

This EULA harkens back to ye olde days before digital distribution. It's been pretty much the industry standard for decades, just as ignoring it is standard practice among gamers.

DRM is relative. Steam's form is acceptable and can reward the user, even make things easier for the user. I've played games with actual DRM, the kind that keeps you from playing the game normally or at all in the worst of cases. Valve and Steam actually bring you a pretty nice promise, long standing, that no other DRM promises - that being that if they ever go under, if Steam ever goes down for good, they will unlock those games you bought. In addition they consistently reward you free games, free demos (it may not seem like a big thing now, but for awhile various services were trying to get you to pay for demos and Valve was not), massive sales, cheap games, games you can't get anywhere else in some cases and more.

I think Valve removed that obligation with one of the license updates, once they realized that with millions of users with a hundred or so games each that'd mean bankrupting their family up to and including grandchildren.

Edited by Tagaziel

DRM is relative. Steam's form is acceptable and can reward the user, even make things easier for the user. I've played games with actual DRM, the kind that keeps you from playing the game normally or at all in the worst of cases. Valve and Steam actually bring you a pretty nice promise, long standing, that no other DRM promises - that being that if they ever go under, if Steam ever goes down for good, they will unlock those games you bought. In addition they consistently reward you free games, free demos (it may not seem like a big thing now, but for awhile various services were trying to get you to pay for demos and Valve was not), massive sales, cheap games, games you can't get anywhere else in some cases and more.

I think Valve removed that obligation with one of the license updates, once they realized that with millions of users with a hundred or so games each that'd mean bankrupting their family up to and including grandchildren.

How so?

• 1 year later...

tl;dr: Whether or not Steam is or isn't DRM, it is possible to have a game through Steam that does not require Steam to run concurrently. Does anyone know if enabling this option precludes using the cloud saving/achievement features?

All 100+ games I've got on steam REQUIRE the client to be loaded in order to play the game (and that includes old ones like UFO: Enemy Unknown and X-Com: Terror From The Deep).

So I don't believe it is possible to have a game sold on Steam that doesn't require the client. Also, not running the client disables cloud saving and achievements (unless the achievements are actually IN the game, Dragon Age: Origins being one such example).

Of the 500+ games I own on Steam 20+ are of the discussed "DRM-free" List mentioned by Infinitron:

Epic failure of reading comprehension in this thread:

LIST OF DRM-FREE GAMES ON STEAM: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

@ Infinitron : You still need the Steam client running to install them. That's not what I'd call DRM-free!

But installing a game isn't playing it. It's just a one-time technical procedure.

vv221 is right that the Games are not DRM-free by definition, but they work accordingly. E.g. you download + install the game through steam and then copy the game folder to another PC/ Laptop and the game will work, which is just what Infinitron said.

tl;dr: Whether or not Steam is or isn't DRM, it is possible to have a game through Steam that does not require Steam to run concurrently. Does anyone know if enabling this option precludes using the cloud saving/achievement features?

You need connection to your steam account to use steam's cloud saving and achivements as they are saved on steam's servers.

This type of "DRM" also does not limit Steam achievements, etc. One example is "Risk of Rain" which I own and play on a Laptop where I can't (read: am not allowed) to install Steam. Every time "Risk of Rain" gets an update I copy the game-folder to my laptop to play it "on the move". If I'm at home I play it on my main machine and get the corresponding achievements inside Steam. of course Steam won't recognise any achievements I got on the Laptop, because it was not running there when I played. I can copy the savegames/ ingame unlockes though without any problems.

tl;dr:

• Steam has "DRM-free" games as in "portable game-folders"
  • "DRM-free" Steam games still support achievements/ trading cards, etc. when played through Steam
  • not everbody hates Steam DRM
    • but sometimes you just cannot install Steam on a specific System (Work-Laptop, etc.)
    • I very much like to play games when I'm on the move due to work
    • -> "DRM-free" Steam games are a blessing

I'm asking myself why not every Kickstarter or similar backed game can handle the DRM topic just like "Shadowrun:Returns". As a backer you got:

• Steam Key (Basic + Directors Cut)
  • GoG Key (Basic + Directors Cut)
  • DRM-free download from "Shadowrun Returns" homepage
  • "DRM-free" Steam folder

This solves almost every problem anyone could have and I think it's a great move appreciating your loyal backers.

For the record: The only thing I didn't like with SR was that no backer got any key for the Android version. The only reason this is acceptable is because the Android version was never mention during the Kickstarter campaign and it is a lot of extra development that was not financed by the backers. Would have been great to at least get a voucher though ;)