I do believe the project needs a ton more publicity in the final days, be it through huge gaming sites like gamespot or IGN (which I hate, but are strangely popular nonetheless) or via youtube personas (the like of Total Biscuit, who, I'm sure, would be very interested in doing an interview / feature about the project given his love towards complex and PC-oriented games in general). This would help a lot! I would have never learned about P:E hadn't it been for word of mouth. There are many more *thousands* of potential backers out there who might have no idea about the project even exists.

Do we really want publicity from sites like IGN? :mellow: Without sounding like an elitist jerk, I really doubt the majority of IGN's readers have the capacity to appreciate a good cRPG. They'll just try and twist the project in a horrible direction with incessant cries for stuff like console support, mountable dragons, and multiplayer.

Some more exposure on youtube wouldn't hurt though.

I do believe the project needs a ton more publicity in the final days, be it through huge gaming sites like gamespot or IGN (which I hate, but are strangely popular nonetheless) or via youtube personas (the like of Total Biscuit, who, I'm sure, would be very interested in doing an interview / feature about the project given his love towards complex and PC-oriented games in general). This would help a lot! I would have never learned about P:E hadn't it been for word of mouth. There are many more *thousands* of potential backers out there who might have no idea about the project even exists.

Do we really want publicity from sites like IGN? :mellow: Without sounding like an elitist jerk, I really doubt the majority of IGN's readers have the capacity to appreciate a good cRPG. They'll just try and twist the project in a horrible direction with incessant cries for stuff like console support, mountable dragons, and multiplayer.

You do sound like an elitist jerk, though ;) It goes without saying that sites of this sort have a huge reach and a large following - even if only a small percent of their target audience would be interested in P:E, it would still result in a huge amount of new backers.

• Like 1

You do sound like an elitist jerk, though ;) It goes without saying that sites of this sort have a huge reach and a large following - even if only a small percent of their target audience would be interested in P:E, it would still result in a huge amount of new backers.

I just think too much widespread attention can sometimes do more harm than good. There's the risk that it'll put pressure on the developers to design the game for a broader audience, thus resulting in an inferior product for people who actually like cRPGs.

I just think too much widespread attention can sometimes do more harm than good. There's the risk that it'll put pressure on the developers to design the game for a broader audience, thus resulting in an inferior product for people who actually like cRPGs.

More money is always a good thing and it's impossible to pressure the devs into doing anything they don't want to do. 60 thousand people have already contributed and only a few of them are actively discussing how the game should look like, in their opinion.

Lets not generalize, I am a supporter of IGN and other gaming websites. There are many people on those websites who contribute constructively towards the gaming industry and understand exactly what a cRPG is.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Regardless of Vin, it doesn't look like there's a lot of Twitter talk about PE. I've been trying to repost things with the #projecteternity tag, but there aren't many over the last 12 hours. Spreading the word that way might help.

Edited by Sinistas

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melodlic/Doom Metal

More money is always a good thing and it's impossible to pressure the devs into doing anything they don't want to do. 60 thousand people have already contributed and only a few of them are actively discussing how the game should look like, in their opinion.

More money doesn't always = a better game.

I'd much rather have a $3.5 million game aimed at a specific niche audience (PC RPG fans) than a $20 million game aimed at everyone with a gaming platform.

If Project Eternity somehow generated the kind of hype a game like Skyrim received, and millions started pouring in, I think the devs would feel some pressure to not only justify the extra money with features that typically ruin RPGs (like fully voiced dialogue), but also pressure to make the game appeal to a broader audience. They're already experiencing some pressure just trying to appeal to a small bunch of cRPG fans who disagree on issues like turn-based combat vs RTwP and cooldowns. Just imagine the headache they'd have if the project gained a widespread following.

I'd much rather have a $3.5 million game aimed at a specific niche audience (PC RPG fans) than a $20 million game aimed at everyone with a gaming platform.

If Project Eternity somehow generated the kind of hype a game like Skyrim received, and millions started pouring in, I think the devs would feel some pressure to not only justify the extra money with features that typically ruin RPGs (like fully voiced dialogue), but also pressure to make the game appeal to a broader audience. They're already experiencing some pressure just trying to appeal to a small bunch of cRPG fans who disagree on issues like turn-based combat vs RTwP and cooldowns. Just imagine the headache they'd have if the project gained a widespread following.

I don't think there is any reason to 'fear' the kickstarter suddenly going up by millions of dollars. Also it's perfectly possible there's a few kids* on IGN etc, who are to young to have been introduced to the old IE games but who would have enjoyed them if they had and who could be interested in PE. Not saying they are any significat portion of those sites readership but even if they're only a fraction of a percent they wouldn't be insignificant.

*I don't mean this in a pejorative sense, I was a kid when I first played Torment.

I really think Obsidian know what they're going for and having more money wouldn't force them out of their comfort zone. I'd actually argue the opposite - the level of interest they've received actually validates their opinion that there is a market for IE-style games. Why mess with that formula when it's clearly what they've been preaching?

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melodlic/Doom Metal

I don't think there is any reason to 'fear' the kickstarter suddenly going up by millions of dollars. Also it's perfectly possible there's a few kids* on IGN etc, who are to young to have been introduced to the old IE games but who would have enjoyed them if they had and who could be interested in PE. Not saying they are any significat portion of those sites readership but even if they're only a fraction of a percent they wouldn't be insignificant.

*I don't mean this in a pejorative sense, I was a kid when I first played Torment.

Of course not. I'm just speculating that if it did somehow generate enough hype to start going up by millions, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

Of course not. I'm just speculating that if it did somehow generate enough hype to start going up by millions, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

This would make sense if the developers weren't getting paid up front. More money = Good.

There's definitely a surge right now. I leave the kickstarter page long enough to make one post, then I return and find it's up $2000 dollars. That's about five minutes. So at that rate, in one hour we'll be up $24,000.

This would make sense if the developers weren't getting paid up front. More money = Good.

A couple of million more = good.

Significantly more than that = potentially bad, because of the reasons i've already stated. Getting paid up front doesn't change that.

Edited by Piccolo

It was great to wake up today and see the "backers" number having gone up so much. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A couple of million more = good.

Significantly more than that = potentially bad, because of the reasons i've already stated. Getting paid up front doesn't change that.

The reasons you specifed don't make any sense, to be honest. Every backer knows *what* kind of a project he or she is backing. To assume that the devs would go "mainstream" (whatever that might imply) simply because the Kickstarter generated many times more than originally planned is nonsensical. What they are going to do is entirely up to them. What players want or might even demand is merely a suggestion and, in the end, doesn't affect the creation process unless the devs want it to.

Not to mention there is no need to debate a "more than a couple millions" scenario, because "a couple of millions" is all the devs can hope for and discussing improbable outcomes is nothing short of unnecessary.

The reasons you specifed don't make any sense, to be honest. Every backer knows *what* kind of a project he or she is backing.

Do they? :mellow: I've seen a lot of backers who have absolutely no experience whatsoever with this kind of game. I expect a lot have backed it purely because they're fans of Obsidian and games like Fallout:NV. I also expect a lot have backed it just because it's a fantasy RPG, even though fantasy RPGs can be drastically different in terms of style and developement goals. Their only experience with RPGs could have come from games like Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, or Fable III, yet they could swarm on these forums making all kinds of requests and suggestions that would be more detrimental to the game than good.

To assume that the devs would go "mainstream" (whatever that might imply) simply because the Kickstarter generated many times more than originally planned is nonsensical. What they are going to do is entirely up to them. What players want or might even demand is merely a suggestion and, in the end, doesn't affect the creation process unless the devs want it to.

As much as I trust Obsidian not to sell out or appeal to a broader audience, I think you underestimate the influence tens of millions (as far-fetched as that scenario is) would actually have on the project. I also think you slightly underestimate the role of backers in a Kickstarter project. Sure, the developers aren't forced to listen to everything the community says; but it's naive to think that they don't feel a lot of pressure to meet all the expectations of the people they're asking money from.