Mega Dungeon Level Size

We've passed level 6 with the inclusion of Paypal backers now and are closing in on a 7th level from the Facebook likes.

Watcher's Keep had 5 levels (including Demogorgon I think)

Dragon's Eye had 5 levels

Durlag's Tower had a quite a few levels ... 2 upper, one ground (albeit no encounters) and four levels (five including the boss encounter level)

Dorn's Deep ... well that was a weird one because you sort of went in and out different parts of the mountain

Anyway I'm sort of concerned that the more levels get added (could be 8-9 levels by the end of the Kickstarter maybe), the size/amount of content in the levels will become a bit smaller?

Do the above ground levels count as levels to the Mega Dungeon as well ?

Anyway my ideal level size would be the same as Durlag's Tower/Dragon's Eye size levels. I would love to say slightly more encounters but that might make things a bit cluttered. Hopefully there's a nice wide variation of stuff too (like those weird elemental rooms in Durlag's Tower).

I suspect that above ground might count as level one.

I think we will end up with eight levels, at least seven. I don't think they'd just make filler content, but it might be story-lite here and there.

Dammit, a whole 'gauntlet' level you have to hack through to get to a more story-ville level would suit me, lots of credible reasons you might have one in there.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Keys of a great dungeon: lore, background, atmosphere, purposeful epxloration (purpose of existence). That's what makes all the dungeons listed above awesome. It's why a dungeon like Undemrountain is cool.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Keys of a great dungeon: lore, background, atmosphere, purposeful epxloration (purpose of existence). That's what makes all the dungeons listed above awesome. It's why a dungeon like Undemrountain is cool.

It will have all these things. It won't be a straight dungeon hack without a purpose.

• Like 10

Me too, by the way I've put numerous requests in to the other devs for them to let Bobby design a Ghost encounter from the other thread's discussion, hehe.

edit: oh I just saw your Kickstarter comment.

Edited by Sensuki

No they don't seem to be counting the above-ground portion(tower thingies) as levels although I have to admit it would be a nice touch if we could explore them too. Either way level 7 is just about guaranteed and we're quite likely to make another 2 or 3 from the backers that will flood in during the last few days so no complaints from me.

1zq6793.jpg

I think that, because technology has advanced so much in a decade, it will be a lot easier/quicker/cheaper to implement the creative ideas and iterations that P:E (and the mega dungeon) will go through. So, I don't think that 8, 9, 10 or more levels will impact the size of each individual level. Obsidian have all the monies and about 18 months to make it happen. This mega dungeon will be huge and awesome.

They think my style strange,

I think they all the same.

Am I the only one who doesn't want to know the exact number of levels (just that it'll be A WHOLE LOT)? Not knowing when it's going to end seems a lot more fun.

Yeah I hope they fudge the numbers a bit on purpose so you'll be excited when you find out it goes down another 3 levels.

Edited by jivex5k