Just curious if weapons will always be out like in Baldur's Gate or if you'll be able to put them in their sheaths or on your back and such like in Temple of Elemental Evil. Not a big concern if they cant, just been wondering for a while which its gunna be.

• Like 1

I haven't played ToEE yet, but I hope there's a way to sheathe because it's weird romping around, say, government installations fully armed and 'ready'. And I'd expect unsheathing to be fully automatic if you enter combat mode and queue an attack.

• Like 8

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Another thing i'm hoping they don't do which was also in BG is just mirror the characters when they turn so say the shield is on the left hand when facing left and then magicly when you turn right it switches hands.

Actually, I believe that was a bug...

• Like 1

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Don't think so, all characters do it weather they have swords, spears, staves, or whatever. They probably did it because it was cheaper and they didn't have to make animations for each side.

Yep, (I think that was about the time video cards started supporting flipping & rotation of 2D sprites on the card, too, so may have saved on actual art assets as well).

This definitely will not be the case in PE, though, since the characters are all going to be true 3D textured models. Animation of these models will happen in real time, as opposed to pre-rendered, and the models themselves can be rotated, sized, re-textured, deformed, etc. as needed during gameplay.

Oh riiiight, I remember that. Not sure what I was thinking of. And JWestfall is right, I'm sure we don't have to worry about that for PE.

Sheathing--Cadegund has a shield on her back. If her sprite can do that, then I'd think sheathing is in, but if it's just the concept art...

I haven't played ToEE yet, but I hope there's a way to sheathe because it's weird romping around, say, government installations fully armed and 'ready'. And I'd expect unsheathing to be fully automatic if you enter combat mode and queue an attack.

And would hopefully look really cool to boot! :)

That would probably be a B priority thing I think. It would be cool to have, but we would focus on making sure we had enough animation variety before introducing that - however, I'll ask the animators and see what they are thinking. ~ This is what Feargus said when I asked him, pretty legit answer. Hoping for it but yeah it really does come second.

Yes for this. Not b-category, this needs to happen.

At least the oft used cheat of an animation where characters seem to put the weapon on their back and it just disappears.

(what games did this? nwn?)

Prefereably show the sword/axe/mace on the side, bigger weapons, 2-handed swords and axes, bows on the back.

Really big ones, guess halberds and longspears just shouldn't be sheathed (unless the first method is used).

Making a script should not be too hard I think: When "enemy spotted" - equip, and un-equip when there's no enemies on screen?

Personally there doesn't even need to be an animation for the actual action of sheathing. I used to go into the inventory in BG and un-equip whenever I came into town (and remove helmets too) because I thought it looked better on so many levels...

Will there be a "No Helmets" options?

edit: wording

Edited by Osvir

I have to say sheathing weapons is something I actually expect in a modern game and assumed would be included, even if said game is inspired by classics that did not have weapon sheathing. Was always odd to walk about town or a temple looking like you are about to beat people senseless.

I see where you are coming from Osvir, a lot of games have really bad looking helmets. But I think in this case I would prefer if one did not wish to have the visual representation of their armour on their character, they should pay the penalty of no head protection. Though perhaps they could receive a slight perception bonus (Or other skill/statistic) to make up for it.

• Like 1

They did it in temple of Elemental Evil, should be possible in this day and age. Like Feargus said though its more about if they have the funds/time and the other animations take priority to it so we'll see what happens. Here's hoping though.

Edited by chunkalot

It honestly wouldn't be that much more work than not having it, you need a non combat stance after all, whats the difference between having the weapon sheathed or in your hand in that stance

hope its in, its silly walking around town with a weapon out all the time, although getting it out ready in dungeons would be good