Big City #2- 3.5mil. stretch goal

I'd love to see a city modelled after Venice.

That would be amazing. I'm just thinking back to 2 years ago, when I spent a couple of weeks travelling around Tuscany by train... I didn't get to see Venice, but a lot of other places! I just love the idea of basing one of the races on Italian city states :)

As long as there's water... and a big city :p

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

That would be amazing. I'm just thinking back to 2 years ago, when I spent a couple of weeks travelling around Tuscany by train... I didn't get to see Venice, but a lot of other places! I just love the idea of basing one of the races on Italian city states :)

Make that city-state both beautiful and deadly, with dangerous games played behind the scenes...

Make our party of adventurers mixed up in politics, etc. :)

Edited by Karranthain

Make that city-state both beautiful and deadly, with dangerous games played behind the scenes...

I like how we're furiously discussing how exciting the SECOND big city might be, what about the first one? :D

Edit,

I completely and utterly agree with your sentiments.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I like how we're furiously discussing how exciting the SECOND big city might be, what about the first one? :D

Edit,

I thought it was already agreed that the first one would be amazing, no? ;)

Edit,

The quote from Sawyer opens up for some good speculation about which race the first big city will "belong" to... it's "too early" to talk about the first city, but the second one might be Valian, or on the Pearl Coast!? Edited by mstark

I really wanted to ask about the stronghold as well. So many questions.......

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Edit,

The quote from Sawyer opens up for some good speculation about which race the first big city will "belong" to... it's "too early" to talk about the first city, but the second one might be Valian, or on the Pearl Coast!?

I reckon that the first city will be in the Dyrwood.

Edit,

The quote from Sawyer opens up for some good speculation about which race the first big city will "belong" to... it's "too early" to talk about the first city, but the second one might be Valian, or on the Pearl Coast!?

Hmm, reckon it'll be something Lothlorian/Suldanesselar-esque?

It feels like a silly thing, but somehow I think I'd prefer a more familiar setting, a "normal" city, as my base of operations. Think Athkatla/BG.

That extra city really is a fantastic stretch goal to put at $3.5M.

In part because reaching the goal pretty much guarantees a fantastic amount of extra content (so it's something worth reaching for)... but also because it's a vague enough goal that it won't be particularly missed if we fail to reach it.

Well, at least that's how I see it.

Something stirs within...

^This.

The goal is also great because I think we all realize how much we loved the great cities of the games we used to play... and that somewhere deep inside, we always wished we'd encounter a second big city! But the games used to end before that happened.

On that note, I'd love for the second great city to be something you would discover towards the end of the game, unlocking the ability to disembark on a plethora of new adventures, at a higher difficulty level (making the higher level of intrigue of a developed Italian city state more realistic), or pursue the end of the story if you don't wish to be involved in the intrigues.

...makes me kind of think that I should stay away from PE updates until the game is released, happily unknowing about what the game will bring me... and when I stumble across a second big city, it'll be like a childhood dream come true :).

Edited by mstark

Anyone have a rough estimate on the amount of money donated through paypal will be?

it's at ~50-60k now, and I'd guess that we'll see between 5-10k added per day in the last few days. Someone else might be able to make a better estimate!
  • Like 1

I miss the Underdark city from BG2. Doesn't have to be a replica, but there was something exciting about entering a place that felt completely "alien" to my characters previous travels and experiences. Maybe it was just the feeling of claustrophobia and being constantly watched by suspicious eyes, because my character definitely didn't "belong" there. I don't know. Loved that part of the game though.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't. But that was more due to the annoying mindaltering flayers who kept charming and confusing my entire party than the design :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

How much more awesome would BG2 have been if the Underdark was a fully realized city like Athlatka?

A lot more awesome! :) But that being said, the Underdark was a pretty damn fully realized area to begin with! (IMO)

The mindflayer dungeon of the Underdark is one of my strongest memories of the game... it took me forever to figure out a way to beat it!

I miss the Underdark city from BG2. Doesn't have to be a replica, but there was something exciting about entering a place that felt completely "alien" to my characters previous travels and experiences. Maybe it was just the feeling of claustrophobia and being constantly watched by suspicious eyes, because my character definitely didn't "belong" there. I don't know. Loved that part of the game though.

I hated it. That was pretty much the only major part of BGII that I didn't like. Aside from the hopelessly-messed up pathfinding errors, both when setting waypoints and waiting for my team to travel to the destination I clicked on, the city was incredibly lackluster. There were only a handful of buildings with little to do in any of them besides take part in pit fights, the narrative could be boiled down to "half the city kills each other because the evulz", and the entire questline could easily be skipped with no consequences. Not to mention the whole "meeting time system" was a waste - you either went immediately to the meeting without waiting the three days, or you had to run like crazy to get to the meeting that takes place in an hour.

I'd be happy if I never saw that city again.

• Like 1

The deepest level in the Mega Dungeon will actually be a Mega City!

Right guys? Who's with me?

I'm going to be the odd man out here. The Mega Dungeon is supposed to be optional. Putting major content like that at the bottom? Me no like.

Putting the city on top, like with Waterdeep and Undermountain? That I can get behind.

Imagine the city at the bottom of a massive dungeon something like outposts in walking dead movies. There is a main path to gain egress but both bandits and monsters tend to block that path occasionally.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Been following PE since launch but didn't pledged then because no Paypal option was available. Thereafter, currency depreciated 15% in just 2 weeks! I'll bite the dust and pledge this coming Monday. Bloody exchange rates, wish PE was launched earlier this year so I could've contributed more in $.

Edit,

Hmm, reckon it'll be something Lothlorian/Suldanesselar-esque?

It feels like a silly thing, but somehow I think I'd prefer a more familiar setting, a "normal" city, as my base of operations. Think Athkatla/BG.

I think they'll go for a more "traditional" city for the first one, with the second being something less familiar.

With 3 days left to go, I fear the 3.5 million goal is looking less likely.

I'm hoping that Obsidian would consider it still if we could get close like 2.2 or 2.3 million.

It's still a good possibility, that didn't change. If we enter the final 72 hours with 3 Million (at least with Paypal) 500'000 seems possible during the last surge.

Edited by C2B

It's not less likely at all, the final day of the kickstarter you can expect anywhere between 200-400k donations. And yesterday we did 160,000 in donations alone.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

With 3 days left to go, I fear the 3.5 million goal is looking less likely.

I'm hoping that Obsidian would consider it still if we could get close like 2.2 or 2.3 million.

It's still a good possibility, that didn't change. If we enter the final 72 hours with 3 Million (at least with Paypal) 500'000 seems possible during the last surge.

I think we're on a good way, the last few graphs showed that PE is doing better than Double Fine at the same time.

If they do make it, it will be by the skin of their teeth.

If 3.5 million is not achieved, but it is substantially over three million then I hope they use the excess money on something just as ambitious, or even add something the community has been craving for.