The Paper Doll Thread

Behold, the IWD2 character screen GUI / paper doll.

iwd203-big.jpg

It's neat. But you know what I hate? That itty-bitty avatar in a goldfish bowl.

OTOH...

Look what a determined modder can do with boring old BG paper dolls!!!

81-1208086572-1ppv2_screenshot.jpg

So, in short, I like purdy character screen GUI with proper paper dolls.

What think you?

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I like proper paperdolls that look like the character as well. As I recall there was a real gap between on menu and on screen look in BG2.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Proper paper dolls... Also, I remember feeling a bit "blinded" by full-screen paper doll interfaces back in the day; this was necessary when we had, what, 15" CRT monitors or something and that low resolution, but standard resolutions are much higher these days and will only get bigger by 2014. So I like paper doll GUIs that are partial screens so I can still see the battlefield or background with sprites--weird, I know...

Partial UIs are particularly useful (e.g. the quickslots) in combat, so I hope there will be more of those used in interesting but usable ways.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Eh, I like full screen paperdoll inventory screen.

Probably because developers seem to like taking the "well if you can see the screen, the computer monsters should be able to attack you - who cares that you're fiddling with your paperdoll" tact. :p

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Obviously the paperdolls would look better, just like everything would (seen the screen) so I doubt there should be worries there...

Just not too big and detailed, so they need to tailor a good high-res character after all you wont really see in proper gameplay...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Okay, I'll take the low road and wonder how expensive it would be in time and resources to provide DA2-like detailed 3D models of the characters and all possible equipment? I mean, wouldn't a Diablo III-style inventory interface be sufficient for this purpose? :shrugz:

diablo-3-5.jpg

Perhaps they can use a basic interface for the release, then go more fancy with a sequel?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I actually like the structure (if not the overall design and assets) behind Diablo 3's GUI but for this game I want to see something evocative of the IE games.

A blown-up avatar from the game is OK, but a beautifully realised paper doll is better.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I mean, what's not to love? I want it to *feel* like a PnP character sheet.

331013-baldur-s-gate-windows-screenshot-inventory-screen-team-members.png

And although I adore IWD, I actually think the character screen is regressive and too.... nicotine brown.

IDMain+2011-11-14+14-21-49-85.jpg

And by the time we got to BG2 something strange happened, especially with some goofy armour design and off-hand weapons.

16-BG2SoAch31012.jpg

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sure I don't like the Tetris inventory, but I like how it includes the stat screen with tabs. Smart design. It's meant to be a Diablo-style inventory, but improved.

One of the things that I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian did was combine screens that were single screens in the Infinity Engine game UI.

Edited by Sensuki

Baldur's Gate 1 is my favourite style Inventory screen

Titan Quest would be my second, it just doesn't have the same feel, but it's a great design

[illustration]

Make a schweet Papierdoll and we're all good.

That is a nice look. The figure looks a lot less "cartooney" than in BG; just the right amount of detail without crossing into the uncanny valley. I like the inventory grid sizing as well.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Titan Quest's paperdoll, IIRC, was actually the figure you saw on screen too. A bit like how some of the IE games did it (IWD) but with greater detail on the character.

Paperdoll_explained.png

Obviously it could be expanded to accommodate the entire screen, but I love how it looks, and most importantly:

1. You should be able to drag the item right on to your paperdoll and not be forced to drag it to a box.

2. It should be integrated with the inventory screen, and accessing it should pause the game.