Live Q&A Chat with Obsidian tomorrow 3 p.m PDT

It's not just the pre-rendered backgrounds and the look of the game. We really want to bring back the party-based role playing experience. You will have a 6 person party, with rich and memorable companions. The game will feature real time tactical combat, and there will be a great story to play through as well.

Adam is running for the Senate! note how skilfully he actually avoids answering the question!

sonsofgygax.JPG

In other news, I am drinking claret.

...And my estimation of you increases daily, my good man.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Our goal is to make it as long as possible with the funding that we get from Kickstarter.

Go Adam GO! Again, he deftly avoids an answer, cementing his place as Man Most Likely to Enter Politics at Obsidian Entertainment.

*swoons*

sonsofgygax.JPG

the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.
Edited by C2B

Although I think Sawyer looks like the guy from Maroon Five's sensible older brother, Josh deigns to provide an answer! Our butt cheeks are clenched tighter than a tight thing sewn up with catgut! will he douse the questioner with withering scorn???

the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.

And in an epic mix-up, Josh answers an earlier question, ignoring the shirt-free inquiry by Starship Troopers star Casper Van diem!

At least we now know about a new race, which frankly I am unable to pronounce right now (qv : Claret).

sonsofgygax.JPG

The questions are getting better:

How will the evil path be handled? We all know about the "puppy-kicking" paradigm. Do you plan on changing things up?

(note: If Adam takes it he might ask What is Evil? Then talk about gun control and Rowe v Wade or something :biggrin: )

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sawyer answers:

we don't really think about things in terms of good or evil choices, but in terms of choices that a relatively sane/rational person would make with an understandable motive. sometimes it makes sense to allow players to be cruel, but it has to work in the context of what's going on. the game and its story aren't about being good or evil but deciding what values (and people, and groups) are most important to you -- and what you're willing to sacrifice to defend them.

Translation: You will *not* be able to twirl your mustache whilst lashing a fair maiden to a railway track in this game. Fair enough.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

A question for the rather lovely Justin:

For Justin Bell: What kind of music (artists, genres, games) are you taking inspiration from for the game? Have any favorite vidyan game soundtracks? One of the pieces that you posted on soundcloud has some similarities to parts of the BG2 main menu theme, am I correct?
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Josh Sawyer:

We will have very little level scaling and almost entirely in critical path areas since there's a lot of variability in when players approach them. Especially when it comes to optional content and general exploration, there will be no level-scaling. In this regard, Fallout: New Vegas might be a fair comparison.

:facepalm:

:closed:

*sigh* I think that answer is good enough for what it is, but the people will certainly believe in good and evil, even if the design team doesn't approach it from that view. I hope they at least recognize that the concepts of good and evil are huge driving forces behind how people act. Now I need a glass of claret, but I don't have any. Maybe burgundy later.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Josh Sawyer:

We will have very little level scaling and almost entirely in critical path areas since there's a lot of variability in when players approach them. Especially when it comes to optional content and general exploration, there will be no level-scaling. In this regard, Fallout: New Vegas might be a fair comparison.

:facepalm:

What's wrong?

I love the idea of not having technical terms of good and evil. Not sure if I like it in a fantasy D&D setting, but I am pretty sick of the alignment system and how everything is good or bad. I expect great things from Obsidian and I bet they'll turn this into something truly unique and inspiring.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I love the idea of not having technical terms of good and evil. Not sure if I like it in a fantasy D&D setting, but I am pretty sick of the alignment system and how everything is good or bad. I expect great things from Obsidian and I bet they'll turn this into something truly unique and inspiring.

I suspect you miss the point. You don't have to have alignment to play a douchebag. Douchebag is a state of mind, not a tick on a character sheet. xD

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Does that include pay pal backers of at least 20k?

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.