Screenshot... what ya'll think

Bah, I should have guessed that but.... that's my own fault for thinking a little too far ahead of PST and BG series. I was thinking about the NWN series and the rendered skies.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

what? You'll never see the sky in the game

You might in the reflection of lakes etc. But it does seem excessive / uneccessary considering the type of game.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

It's GORGEOUS!

I was honestly amazed when I saw it and I was expecting it to be awesome!

xb_s1ghtunseen.gif

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.- Tyrion Lannister

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. -Eddard Stark

I do love it too... Gorgeous detailing....

But there is something about it that did bother me. I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, though--it's the surface angles or perspective, not related to camera angle perhaps? The disconnect felt most noticeable to me between the entryway and the waterfall base, and the closest bridge seemed a little "bent" to my eyes. Not sure if that makes sense:

kafxnb.jpg

I dunno. :sweat: :sweat: I don't remember this feeling in the IE games, but it's been a while since I've replayed them (soon!).

It's still super pretty though!

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Objects don't get smaller the further the way you get, so as a perspective it is incorrect. I don't know what you're doing with those lines though. The bridge and the entry are parallel, and the other parts like the waterfall don't have to be. Fallout 1 & 2 were the same and it never bothered me.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I dunno. :sweat: :sweat: I don't remember this feeling in the IE games, but it's been a while since I've replayed them (soon!).

My guess is that your eyes are subconsciously trying to force objects into a perspective view (where parallel lines converge in the distance), but the image has been rendered in orthographic view. That's why at first glance it may look like the lake is higher up in the back, even though it is supposed to be level. The lower angle may exacerbate this disconnect.

I'm sure the devs will find the sweet spot on the camera angle, but in the end it will probably take a bit of getting used to from us players who have been trained to see video games & realistic style scenery in perspective view over the years. Also, it will likely help when there are moving character models, shadows, and other visual cues.

• Like 2

So technical! :o

Thanks for the explanations. I'm sure whatever it ends up in game I'll just get used to it again. Most likely I'll just be distracted by everything else, too.

p.s. nice sig :>

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

@Ieo: all that and some of your own lines don't match up with what I'd expect if you where trying to get a perspective check. For instance the bridge, you start in the back the top of the half-U shape detail but your line goes to the bottom part of the further back half-U. Which is causing some weird angling. Not sure if that was meant to be a comparison to the busted up bridge in the background but that thing may never of been the same length or height as the closer intact bridge.

Either way it didn't feel off to me much but I've done some 3D and perspective stuff. Been working on mods and such with varying perspectives (45 to 30-35ish). Said it earlier, I'll say it again - 30 to 35 is my preferred angling. Environments just show better in my opinion. Also something that often bugged me in a lot of infinity engine games was they'd model the full 4 walls of a room (this may sound weird but stick with me) at the 45 degree and... you just often couldn't walk up to the foreground walls.

Other games like that will have the closer walls either disappear when you get close or just never be rendered in so you have full view of what they'd be covering up. It's one of those awkward things IE games often did which was more noticable in houses. You'd walk into a smaller room then find out you can only walk on about 80% of the floor, not becuase somethings is on the floor blocking you (like a desk or couch) but because they didn't setup the wall as walkable portions. That has more to do with where they drew the walk lines and dithering but it's something that always kinda irks me... and always seems to happen to indoor areas. Outdoor areas with giant buildings usually let you walk on the ground you can't see.

It's a silly nitpick but I hope they keep this perspective for most of there stuff and just don't have the walls you can't see from that perspective completely invisible - or fade out when your characters on the other side of em.

Def Con: kills owls dead

when i first saw the image i thought the perspective was off as well actually. mostly when i look at the closest bridge. not sure if this is what he was trying to do with the lines but something about how the bridge is does seem slightly twisted. idk, regardless i am sure it is something i will get use to and i wont even notice it once i am playing.

when i first saw the image i thought the perspective was off as well actually. mostly when i look at the closest bridge. not sure if this is what he was trying to do with the lines but something about how the bridge is does seem slightly twisted. idk, regardless i am sure it is something i will get use to and i wont even notice it once i am playing.

Yes, it's the twisty distortion thing in the bridge closest to the viewer! The lines, well, it's really hard trying to describe these perceptions without the terminology. :sweat: But yeah. No biggee.

Bah, I should have guessed that but.... that's my own fault for thinking a little too far ahead of PST and BG series. I was thinking about the NWN series and the rendered skies.

No offense but... I do not want to think of NWN. I do not want to think of ANY of those 3d rendered games and hope that they have nothing to do with PE...

3D rendering just sterilizes the environment, due to need to get everything modelled in 3D.

BG2 and other Infinity games worked for me much better, the environment looked real, not some general close approximation.

This image is just what I want... So... Pretty. Makes oldish guy remember the days spent playing the infinity games...

Thank god I heard about this project... Just had to put some money to it. Then rethought about it, decided to forget some stuff I might buy and upped my contribution to next level.

My only fear is that they try to reinvent the UI too much. Infinity games had good UI for party based gameplay, have not seen anything like that ever since. Even if new games permit party control, they do it in so awkward way that you mostly just do not use them, instead letting them do whatever they are scripted to do. Maybe it's just me, but in Infinity it was exception that I did not order each party member separately, in later games it is the opposite way and exception was when I gave each one explicit orders.

PS...

Oh crap... You bloody bastards had to do that didn't you? Yes, looking at you developers guys... Had to add stronghold promise... And all that... There goes more money...

Edited by Tiwaz

i think it's just an optical illusion created by the positioning of the camera. there is no actual depth in the image and the lines you used to show what it looked like to you are wrong

you forgot to consider the Y axis when drawing them.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

using the spike holding bricks of the bridge and the first carvings of the columns as reference points to draw straight lines you get this

petempleentrance011920x.jpg

the image posted before used lines without reference points. for example the top line started from the first carving of the rightmost column and passed trough the corner of the floor to end in the river

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

absolutely love it. its like a dream coming true. the screenshot is better than I expceted it to be in my best dreams. now I need to see a character/npc/enemy and how it fits to this beautiful background

The screen shot is impressive but I'm quite intrigued by the statues.

Were they deliberately carved to appear so cadaveric? Perhaps an entrance to a sacred place for where death is worshipped.

Perhaps one of the new races has a very unusual look and the figures are meant to be representative?

Alternatively were they the result of deliberate damage or dark magic?

That there are so many questions from just one screen shot is testament to the quality of the image and how PE is firing up the old imagination.

Great stuff!

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

[screenshot]

Anyone else immediately going "TRAP!" due to the red lines.

• Like 4

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee