Screenshot... what ya'll think

The second I saw that, my brain instantly drew parallels between it and BG2. Also I kept hearing this....."You must gather your party before venturing forth". Anyone else think the path leading to the temple is evocative of Suldenessar? This is absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by Shadeheart

This screenshot is so reminiscent to the IE Games to me, which actually ties to another memory: Spending hours, days, weeks, months and more

on the Baldur's Gate games and Icewind Dale ones in my youth.

So it has the same effect on me as the announcment of Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition has: I feel like a piece of my childhood/youth

is going to return to me. A piece which I have very much missed lately, and I'm so looking forward to seeing it again.

Thank you Obsidian and all you backers.

I know it's gonna be great.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

The mock up someone did with the characters in the screenshot looked pretty good, def gave a better idea of scale atleast

Characters are a bit large in that mock-up; maybe 20%? I just did one with a TOEE party from a screen shot at 1680x1050 and it looks like the PE screen will be similar in scale.

Also, the isometric view (30 degrees is isometric, 45 degrees is axonometric, cavalier is non centered iso or axo) will give a better sense of scale for vertical objects as Josh Sawyer posted by allowing greater z axis projection.

The second I saw that, my brain instantly drew parallels between it and BG2. Also I kept hearing this....."You must gather your party before venturing forth". Anyone else think the path leading to the temple is evocative of Suldenessar? This is absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah those elven ruin parts especially almost exactly match the BG2 art style.

Looks great, though my first though I keep wondering if the water will be animated.

Otherwise, I tend to think it might be a segment of a larger area - the largest DL was only about 1 large monitor in size, I think, and I'm kind of figuring individual areas are probably several large monitors large.

But yeah, looks amazing.

It does look great. But isn't the angle a bit too low and the area too small for an isometric game? It seems more like a screenshot from a point-and-click adventure game.

maybe they want to use a final fantasy style aproach to some enviroments for added effect. in FF7-9 they used 2D backgrounds with 3D characters, positioning the camera at various angles. so in eternity they may add some transisional screens where there is no combat or other encounters, where the camera is at a different angle than usual in order to show some pretty scenery, or the presence of something you need to reach in the distance

oh and

couldnthelpmaselfcopya5yfg.jpg

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The mock up someone did with the characters in the screenshot looked pretty good, def gave a better idea of scale atleast

Characters are a bit large in that mock-up; maybe 20%? I just did one with a TOEE party from a screen shot at 1680x1050 and it looks like the PE screen will be similar in scale.

Also, the isometric view (30 degrees is isometric, 45 degrees is axonometric, cavalier is non centered iso or axo) will give a better sense of scale for vertical objects as Josh Sawyer posted by allowing greater z axis projection.

I think it's fine that the characters are a bit bigger than they should be. They need to stand out from the background.

Looks great, my only concern is for animation. Often with they type of system you're proposing to use animations such as water and wind are left out, or at best are scripted without any enviromental interaction (Such as tossing a baddy into the water doesn't create ripple effects...)

I seriously doubt you can even "toss a baddy in the water", it's not that type of game.

As such, ripple effect when walking over water (BG's already had that) should work just fine, and there's no reason why not to assume that's in.

Well the problem with this "screenshot", or rather concept-art, is...

I wonder why some people still (want to?) think it's concept-art and not a screenshot. It is. Unwilling to belief the game actually can look that good? Unwilling to believe 3D isn't superior? Why? I don't get it...

Looks great, though my first though I keep wondering if the water will be animated.

Ehm, you think they will have a static waterfall? I seriously wonder that everytime someone asks if it will be animated. Are you really thinking they add a waterfall, and it's *not* moving? I wonder if someone actually really believes that.

Otherwise, I tend to think it might be a segment of a larger area - the largest DL was only about 1 large monitor in size, I think, and I'm kind of figuring individual areas are probably several large monitors large.

Baldur's Gate and IceWind Dale had plenty of smaller maps too. Interiors of dungeons usually, and this definitely looks like the start of a dungeon, so it makes sense.

Could be part of something bigger, could be not. Not every map has to be gigantic, some small pitesque areas fit fine just before the onslaught.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Their liking it is a shocker. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looks amazing. I'd be interested in reading more about the process they went through to create it - they mentioned it's done in 3d then rendered out as 2d? I assume that would mean no dynamic day/night cycles?

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

Looks amazing. I'd be interested in reading more about the process they went through to create it - they mentioned it's done in 3d then rendered out as 2d? I assume that would mean no dynamic day/night cycles?

well considering the rendering technology and the power of modern video cards, i'd say it shouldn't be a problem. come to think of it, even IE games had a lighting cycle... limited but it was there

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I guess it depends how it's done. If it's not actual 3d geometry then how would shadows move as the sun rotates? Is it some 2.5d crazyness like Zbrush's pixols? (A pixel with depth information).. Will have to read over what's been released so far.

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

I guess it depends how it's done. If it's not actual 3d geometry then how would shadows move as the sun rotates? Is it some 2.5d crazyness like Zbrush's pixols? (A pixel with depth information).. Will have to read over what's been released so far.

Yes, that's an interesting question. I don't think they used moving shadows in the old BG/IWD games; night just make the scene go darker and perhaps more monochromatic.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think they were smart in playing it safe with this screenshot, it has a very wonderful appeal to it and to be honest I'm more looking forward to seeing what the (as far as environments go) sky will end up looking like (morning and night). Hmm... I guess I should probably ask first, will there be a rendered sky? I certainly hope so because it really adds to the ambiance of a game.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

To answer the OP; I love it!

The level of detail, is fantastic. Like many others, I can't wait to see a character model within the environment. With the detail in that SS, I can see myself wasting days just looking around at everything. Opens the doors to all kinds of semi-hidden features. Old faded/worn carvings, runes, ...so much potential for depth beyond just the normal ring hidden in a tree.