Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Living world?

living world eternity

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Living world? (248 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about "living world" in PE? Namely, should the NPCs go to bed at night, do some work during the day, etc.?

1. No, "living world" should not be implemented: implementing it would divert too much resources from other parts of the game (33 votes [13.31%])

Percentage of vote: 13.31%

2. Yes "living world" should be implemented, but to a very limited extent (e.g. implement going to bed, but not workning during the day), to save resources (62 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Yes, "living world" should be implemented, to a considerable extent, with at least NPCs going to bed at night (and they should use blankets!) and performing some work during the day, but still not too much resources should be spent on this (108 votes [43.55%])

Percentage of vote: 43.55%

4. Yes, "living world" should be implemented, in as detailed way as possible (35 votes [14.11%])

Percentage of vote: 14.11%

5. I don't care (10 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

Do you think that there should be a stretch goal for "living world"?

1. No (127 votes [51.21%])

Percentage of vote: 51.21%

2. Yes (34 votes [13.71%])

Percentage of vote: 13.71%

3. I don't care (87 votes [35.08%])

Percentage of vote: 35.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Metabot

Metabot

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And to moridin84: Ultima 7 was not a sandbox game, though you could move freely in the world, there was a strong plot and story.

Lol so a sandbox game automatically doesn't have a strong plot and if a game does have a strong plot it necessarily isn't a sandbox game? Ideally, a sandbox game should have multiple interesting plots that the player can get involved in in some way. This us where skyrim fails entirely.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Oblivion and Skyrim are open world games, not sandbox. Minecraft is sandbox.

I've seen them referred to as sandbox games multiple times.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

a) Baldur's Gate is the most open world of all of the IE games, b) I didn't say I wanted always day cities, just that in a more linear game it wouldn't be that great to have a real time day/night cycle.

A) With the dungeon, 2 cities and other stuff, it's most likely to resemle BG.
B) We got 2 full cities. I am pretty sure, like BG(2) awesome day/night things can be done with them. Baldur's Gate was great during nighttime. Athkatla somewhat less, though I still couldn't imagine it being always daytime. As well as with the other outdoor maps. Even linear.

Yea I'm not sure what would be wrong with adding this stuff in. It could add to wuests as well because you might have to find out where npcs are at certain periods of time. That is, if there is no quest compass and markers.

The argumebt that IE games didnt do certain things isn't always the best argument. I don't think PE is meant to be like the IE games in every single aspect.

They could do that for one (or other certain) NPC then (like the horribly non-functional 'boogieman' sidequest in BG1). No point in making all NPC's act that way. It's no fun finding your questgiver out of 17 potential locations. In Oblivion/Skyrim a marker and big arrow might help with that, but I loathe to introduce that here. So it's just more added tedium, no gain (IMO).

Second point is true though. There are certainly things that can be improved upon compared to IE...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: living world, eternity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users