248 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about "living world" in PE? Namely, should the NPCs go to bed at night, do some work during the day, etc.?

• No, "living world" should not be implemented: implementing it would divert too much resources from other parts of the game
    • Yes "living world" should be implemented, but to a very limited extent (e.g. implement going to bed, but not workning during the day), to save resources
    • Yes, "living world" should be implemented, to a considerable extent, with at least NPCs going to bed at night (and they should use blankets!) and performing some work during the day, but still not too much resources should be spent on this
    • Yes, "living world" should be implemented, in as detailed way as possible
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Do you think that there should be a stretch goal for "living world"?

• No
    • Yes
    • I don't care

I don't think I've seen a specific poll on the subject, thus I'm making a new one. So, what do you think about "living world" in PE? Namely, should NPC go to bed at night, perform some work during the day, go on travels, etc?

I am okay with the idea, but this is not another Elder Scrolls game. A lot of times I see the term 'Living World' the terms 'Bethesda', 'Elder Scrolls' float up. The old IE games were not living worlds, and if we are to stay true to that formula, then I am thinking we should go light on the Living World feature or even avoid it altogether.

They had them twenty years ago in Ultima, don't see any reason why a modern isometric game can't have them, it only adds to the believability of the setting. It's also a great opportunity, to watch targets, to stage break ins under cover of night etcetera.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

NPC should have two states:

a) where they are during day (out working? at a market stall?)

b) where they are during night (indoors? graveyard? watching a street corner?)

Time should pass by traveling from zone to zone, or by sleeping. or waiting.

heeey- Just like the IE games! ;)

• Like 7

There were many traditional RPGs thath had a simulation of a living world - NPC schedules. The earliest I can think of atm is The Magic Candle from 1989. But there were probably earlier ones too. And it doesn't have to be a sandbox game to have such a cycle. I would be a welcme feature in PE. But i can certainly live without it.

The Witcher 1.

But yeah, I would prefer just a "day" position/activity and "night" position/activity, especially in the cities. Anything besides that isn't required.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I didn't vote.

I mostly want "special" things to occurr wether its day or night. I don't really care to see NPCs going to work or home, it's kinda annoying when you want to find *THAT* NPC and he's not on his spot. I guess my preferred thing would be shopkeepers to lock the shop (or close the tent!) and go to bed, a bed that should be right there in another room of their shop (or next to the tent!), and then also to have some quests or NPCs to only appear during certain hours of the day.

Yes "living world" should be implemented, but to a very limited extent (e.g. implement going to bed, but not workning during the day), to save resource

The most suitable option for the isometric RPG. It's not the Elder scrolls =).

Both the Witcher games aren't Elder Scrolls either. Nor are they sandboxes. And both have one of the best living, breathing worlds I've seen in RPGs.

What's wrong with the way it was in earlier IE games? It's dark, people go inside - some sleep, some roam the streets at night, some begin to work, some inns are even more crowded than at daytime. I don't need the NPCs to go shopping for milk and cheese, I'm okay when they behave slightly different night and day. But don't get me wrong, I also don't mind if there is more. I'm just a little concerned about how much effort it would take in comparison to things I deem more important.

nec temere, nec timide

Travelling traders from town to town with some extra stuff would be great, and also other travelling NPC.

I am all for it so long as it doesn't suffer from the Fallout 3 case of some nice quests and equipment never being found because merchants wandered into deathclaw territory and being made mincemeat.

I am okay with the idea, but this is not another Elder Scrolls game. A lot of times I see the term 'Living World' the terms 'Bethesda', 'Elder Scrolls' float up. The old IE games were not living worlds, and if we are to stay true to that formula, then I am thinking we should go light on the Living World feature or even avoid it altogether.

Although the IE games didn't have this, the Elder Scrolls ceirtanly didn't start it. Ultima 7 from 1991 had a living world, where people slept at night and did chores at day. I am sure there are others, just using it as an example. Having people not loitering at the same spot day and night would benefit the game, and I am sure it can't be that hard to code(?)

And to moridin84: Ultima 7 was not a sandbox game, though you could move freely in the world, there was a strong plot and story.

Edited by HansKrSG

Living world for me holds a clear second place to "atmosphere". How the game portrays a living world with what it shows. What is most important is what is shown. do you see a fisherman at a beach and can tell it is a fisherman then the game already succeeded. People and places should look like they belong and do things that make sense, then you already feel you are in a living world. You don't need a advanced NPC schedule for that. Would be enough with a day and night cycle.

• Like 1

I think if we take how the IE games handled things as a base (Day/Night), then added more behaviours and interactions, then it'd be pretty cool. One thing that comes to mind was how in The Den, the kids would steal my crap and I'd have to buy it back from one of the NPCs. Stuff like that. No need to go full majestic with Elder Scrolls-esque Radiant AI.

• Like 1

One thing that comes to mind was how in The Den, the kids would steal my crap and I'd have to buy it back from one of the NPCs.

Ah the memories, that happened to me once or twice, made me lose my M72.

Then I walked through the door with a lit dynamite.

• Like 1

This thread reads like a broken record. People just read the title, the last post and write what they think. The result: same things are repeated every 3 posts. Read the topic, people. It's not that long.

I mentioned on the previous page that both the Witcher games have a living world and they are not sandboxes, and 3 post below moridin84 said that "living worlds" are generally sandbox games :blink: