More choice and consequence vs bigger world/ more quests and NPCs?

98 members have voted

1. 1. With the almount of funding already secured, Obsidians are promising us a reasonably big world with a reasonable amount of choice&consequence; what is your opinion regarding on what of these two aspects of the game additional funding should be focu...

• Focus on more choice and consequnce: I want to see that my choices matter and affect the world and lifes of the related NPCs in a really visible way (provided that the world is reasonably big and there is a reasonable number of quests/NPCs)
    • Focus on bigger world / more quests and NPCs: I want the world to be as big as possible with as many quests and NPCs as possible (provided there is some reasonable number of choices that make some difference)
    • I don't care
  2. 2. What about stretch goals for these specific focuses?

• I would like to see a stretch goal specifically dedicated to bringing more choice and consequence to the game
    • I would like to see a stretch goal specifically dedicated to making world bigger/ raising the number of quests
    • None of the above
    • I don't care

The questions of this poll were already disscused a bit elsewhere on the forum, but I'd like to raise them more specifically. So, what do you prefer: more choices and consequences that visibly affect things, or just more quests and bigger world, with maybe not so many real choices and visible consequences? And what is your opinion on adding stretch goals specifically dedicated to improving these aspects?

What do I prefer? A healthy balance of both, ideally. I don't want an ocean with the depth of a puddle... but at the same time, I think there's such a thing as trying too hard or putting too much emphasis on choices and consequences.

What do I feel they should focus on now with PE? Hard to say really, without knowing what size gameworld they already have planned, or just how many meaningful choices / consequences they plan to include. I'm inclined to say go for a bigger gameworld with the stretch goals though, because I would imagine choices and consequences would be one of their top priorities anyway for the base game.

• Like 1

Personaly I find more choices a waste, I rather be able to see everything there is to offer in one go than being forced to do things over multiple times just to see some story changes. When playing a RPG I never really see the protagonist as an impersonation of me I see him as a guy and I generally think of his logic to play through the game not what I would find best. Most of the time what I would do is not even an option so I Much rather see myself guided through it all via the eyes of my maybe created character than having to decide from a limited number of options.

I would prefer quality over quantity, so let's have more choices and consequences. This is after all, an RPG. Sometimes, a big world without reactivity is not really that satisfying, like Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Yes, it's pretty humungous but after a while, the quests seem uninteresting and it's seems like busywork.

I think that with all the wealth of experience and knowledge at Obsidian that these guys have it covered to make both an amazing, believable and immersive world that still includes choices that matter and that have real consequences, so a vote for choices and consequences for sure. Not really fussed about stretch goals specifically dedicated to this type of thing, as stated, I have complete faith that OE have it covered.

Plus Kickstarter only has a few days left to go.

We already have games that feature huge worlds and huge amounts of quests. But so far I have never seen a game able to change its story taking the player's action into account. Many games gave the player a fake feeling of being able to influence the outcome of the quests and of the main storyline, but NO GAME trully delivered on this side of things.

We already have Skyrim. I really, really, really would like to have a game in which your choices actually influence the setting instead of giving only the illusion that your choices matter (how many games have a good/evil choice which only influences the dialogue after the final boss?).

We already have games that feature huge worlds and huge amounts of quests. But so far I have never seen a game able to change its story taking the player's action into account. Many games gave the player a fake feeling of being able to influence the outcome of the quests and of the main storyline, but NO GAME trully delivered on this side of things.

We already have Skyrim. I really, really, really would like to have a game in which your choices actually influence the setting instead of giving only the illusion that your choices matter (how many games have a good/evil choice which only influences the dialogue after the final boss?).

Have you guys tried The Witcher and especially The Witcher 2? If not, you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)