Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Online Multiplayer mode

online network lan multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

CaptainMace

CaptainMace

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What about you take a look at some games that actually feature, or can feature, persistent world servers then ? Because, I frankly feel that PoE, given it has multiplayer which it hasn't, is like miles away from anything playable on a pw server.

Suhiir

Suhiir

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts

The problem is a "good" multi-player or persistent world experience in an RPG (and to a lesser extent a shooter) is as dependent, or probably far more, dependent on the quality of the DM and/or other players as it is on the game's ability to support it.

Now if your only goal for muli-player is team battle see the above ... much easier to support then the RPG aspects.

But to take what's intended, and designed, as an RPG first and foremost and add a "reasonable" multi-player capability to it is not even remotely easy.

Edited by Suhiir, 24 March 2015 - 03:25 PM.

ravenz67

ravenz67

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Steam:RaVeNz67

I am burnt out on all the MMO's that can't deliver an engrossing story line.  I want a GREAT single-player, story driven game and I believe that is what we are getting with Pillars.

• Suhiir likes this

AdmiralWily

AdmiralWily

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Albert W Wily
The kind of coop I would love to see in a game like this would be like Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo

omgFIREBALLS

omgFIREBALLS

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 880 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

A high level party, especially one with a self-hasting wizard, requires extreme amounts of pausing to fully optimize. I have explored the various auto-pause settings, but that doesn't bring flow back to the battles and I eventually find myself thinking "just fire at whatever". I think that between slow mode, hotkeys and multiplayer (each player = one character) there could be some very satisfying battles even on a hypothetical difficulty above PotD. I would enjoy controlling one toon there, with no need to be the Watcher.

Actually a cautious dream of mine is to have a game like PoE or an IE game where you can view a replay of your battles. But not with the pausing, not with the clicking, just a hidden HUD (okay perhaps party frames could be visible) and watching everyone duke it out in real-time.

All the pausing to optimize your toons brings my mind to chess. Certainly a game of skill, but not one of speed. With multiplayer, it could be both. As inefficient as it might be to spend resources on MP, I'm just voicing my thoughts :)

TiQ79

TiQ79

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

RP does completely match coop MP.

Since ever RP (p&p, tabletop, etc.) is always played in a party.

Ppl who do not acknowledge that fact simply don't understand the meaning of RP.

Flayeriv

Flayeriv

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Steam:Flayeriv
  • Deadfire Backer

Hey hey.

So I'm going to differ from most people here, I honestly don't mind the inclusion or non-inclusion of multiplayer as a deciding factor. That said, I hadn't realised there was no multiplayer and have since decided I want to share the experience of playing this game co-op with a friend. I for one thoroughly enjoyed this game single player, but would like to do co-op also.

Someone suggested the potential of modding in a multiplayer component eventually, and prior to that the suggestion that maybe in the expansions multiplayer might be added. I'd just like to ask, are there any mods that currently exist, or intentions to create a co-op option for this game in future?

Clerith

Clerith

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 346 posts

There are no working multiplayer mods, and there are zero intentions to add a co-op option in the future. The game's done, they said 3.0.3 was the last patch. Now, they might do a bugfix patch or something, but there's basically zero chance that they're developing something major for the game.

Kazuma

Kazuma

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 117 posts

Besides, mp doesn't really work story wise. One player gets to be the MC and the others his lackeys? Not to mention the combat would be awkward with two people trying to pause. Come to think of it did the BG's have the same issue? Honestly I mainly used MP to load in my own custom characters since you didn't actually have to have a second player to play the came in MP mode. At any rate turn based or full action-rpg would be easier to implement MP for. Even playing solo I sometimes fight with the auto-pause. In MP you'd have to probably decide on a single auto-pause setting (or disable it). And then voicechat would probably be necessary (outside client is fine) so you could let the other person know you're pausing without having to use text chat. Doable but not exactly working out of the box.

Speaking of future games... I think it would be interesting if a MP party RPG had backgrounds that weren't just flavor text. If during character creation each background could be chosen only once then each of those characters could serve a different role within the context of the story. Custom characters + MP + Reactivity. One character can be a noble which spends part of the game going to social events with a chance to get directly involved in politics. Well you get the idea. There doesn't need to be a "chosen one". There could be the "chosen few" with backgrounds that integrate into the story in a substantial way. Turn the combat into an SRPG or First person Action RPG affair. I kinda like the idea of the former. Defending a stronghold with mechanics that take terrain, height, structures, etc into account would be nice.

There we go an SRPG+MP+GoT+Co-op or Vs game in which the goal is to unite (by force if necessary) the lands against the ultimate evil elephant that everyone is ignoring. It's all been done before but with good writing and interesting characters I'd play it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online, network, lan, multiplayer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users