Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part II).

WHY has "cool" armour always to be black? I will never understand this, black is the worst colour. Everyone automatically knows or assumes that you're evil (because "anatomy of evil"). Besides it's a bad colour for hiding, even at night, difficult and expensive to produce on a certain technological level...

Probably just a visual thing. It's stark and dramatic when filming stuff in mood lighting, so also by long association.

But yeah....I personally like black (and grey, and dark blue), wear it a lot, but if black means evil, I must be more evil than the devil himself. :lol:

Outside of that, while I like color in nature, for general clothes I usually like neutral or darker colors. I'm that boring. Plus it shows dirt less. ;)

When I see black clothes I always think of this:

It's a satirical instruction video on how to be a "cool fighter" - it's German but I think you'll get it nevertheless.

And as for dirt on black clothes: Cannot confirm that. The more colours, the less dirt you see :p

Elan_song.gif

WHY has "cool" armour always to be black? I will never understand this, black is the worst colour. Everyone automatically knows or assumes that you're evil (because "anatomy of evil"). Besides it's a bad colour for hiding, even at night, difficult and expensive to produce on a certain technological level...

Probably just a visual thing. It's stark and dramatic when filming stuff in mood lighting, so also by long association.

But yeah....I personally like black (and grey, and dark blue), wear it a lot, but if black means evil, I must be more evil than the devil himself. :lol:

Outside of that, while I like color in nature, for general clothes I usually like neutral or darker colors. I'm that boring. Plus it shows dirt less. ;)

'Cause it's badass.

'Cause it's badass.

*yawn*

Elan_song.gif

'Cause it's badass.

*yawn*

Sorry to break it to you, but most people like cool **** and don't really care if it's practical or not. Popular **** is popular for a reason.

Some random things. They appear practical yet are definitely stylized fantasy. In the first two, her armor is a weird combination of scale, what looks like chain, plate on the arms/legs, and a tiara-plate-thinger (besides helm). The third is some kind of a... lobster plate thing (plate never comes naturally in green, anyway).

fyq49d.jpg

axjg4z.jpg

ldrb7.jpg

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

And as for dirt on black clothes: Cannot confirm that. The more colours, the less dirt you see :p

Black and colors close to black show white dust better, of course. But since I don't work in a chalk factory, not usually a problem for me, haha. But stuff like wine, soda, coffee....no worries. :lol:

That video....haha, that's cute. When I see men in black w/masks I always think of Cary Elwes. Or maybe Zorro.

3001732-poster-942-man-blacks-lessons-competitive-strategy.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

fyq49d.jpg

She is a princess-general wearing insignia on armor, so it's not really "stylized" (look at the drapery). Also, part of it is not an armor. It's prosthetics (at least an arm). So her armor is not very good example because a) it's mostly to show off her status b) it's to hide the fact that she misses some limbs and c) it's not even made of steel, it's sort of lightweight ceramic-... okay I should stop re-telling the whole setting now.

When people say "stylized" I instantly think of some lame atitude I hear from some artists, like "Well it's armor, but it can't look like real armor, cause it FANTASY and we should STYLIZE it" (usually means improbable proportions and ornaments everywhere). It's quite different from just finding fashion based on facts of setting and characters in it.

Edited by Shadenuat

This game is set in a high fantasy environment, mundane realism doesn't really fit the theme here. The design of weapons and armor should reflect that; style should be prioritized over pragmatism and realism. Nothing too over the top or ridiculous like bikini chain mail or elephant sized swords that shoot beams of multicolored light, but not too mundane either.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

This game is set in a high fantasy environment, mundane realism doesn't really fit the theme here. The design of weapons and armor should reflect that; style should be prioritized over pragmatism and realism. Nothing too over the top or ridiculous like bikini chain mail or elephant sized swords that shoot beams of multicolored light, but not too mundane either.

OMAIGAD, not again. Another escapist dreamer enters a thread to oppose mundane and boring realism.

Is nomine vacans liberarit vobis ex servitut.

Is nomine vacans redit vobis ars magica.

Because a redicolous sword if better than a realistic one....why exactly?

Because it stands out? Is that it? Standing out? Being "unique"?

unique-18676.jpg

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I prefer silver or white when it cames to plate armor.

40125_original.jpg

I'd polish it with every oil and polish in the known world so hard, that if I fought at noon, I'd blind my enemies with my mere presence!

clashofthetitans4.png?w=446&h=255

People would mistake me for a motherflippin' lighthouse!

Then I'd cast every known spell that increases glowiness on it - and if there aren't any I'd invent them!

Look at me would be like loooking at the sun!

Because:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerGlows

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I prefer silver or white when it cames to plate armor.

40125_original.jpg

I'd polish it with every oil and polish in the known world so hard, that if I fought at noon, I'd blind my enemies with my mere presence!

nah, too mundane >_<

i hope they have rainbow spiky armor with humongous shoulder plates and 10 ft glowing buster swords.

would the realism aspies kill themselves if this happened...i wonder...

no matter that every piece of concept art and dev info that has come out indicates a realistic approach, no, we need to discuss this ad nauseum just because: "It's our way or nothing at all."

i hope they have rainbow spiky armor with humongous shoulder plates and 10 ft glowing buster swords.

would the realism aspies kill themselves if this happened...i wonder...

no matter that every piece of concept art and dev info that has come out indicates a realistic approach, no, we need to discuss this ad nauseum just because: "It's our way or nothing at all."

how else you get your butthurt delivered to you, nerdboy? =P

OMAIGAD, not again. Another escapist dreamer enters a thread to oppose mundane and boring realism.

Nope, mundane realism just doesn't fit the setting. If the world was a low magic world and more focused on realism and less on some über metaphysical soul-**** with firearms, the mundane gritty looking style would fit perfectly. As it stands however, mundane and realistic would feel very out of place.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

When Liam Neeson showed up in that movie with that glowing, shiny armor, I LOL'd.

...I tend to like duller metal-colored metal armor myself. Not super polished, with some dents and dings that show it's been used.

And while I'm sure it's considered boring and predictable or something, I liked the way Aragorn did armor in the later parts of the LotR movies. Chainmail with tunic, sometimes with pieces of plate on the shoulders/arms etc. I like stuff that mixes up pieces, rather than being a complete matching set.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For me, although it may be a bit boring, on average I'd say the kind of things you see in Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones more or less hit the mark for the tone I prefer, not necessarily 100% accurate but realistic looking enough while still having a lot of character to them.

I'd also add though that if you did want to have a tiny bit of more dodgy unrealistic stuff in there I think there is room to have a little bit if it is statted out realistically and makes some sort of sense for why it's there, for instance if you go to the court of some sleazy king he might very well have equipped his all female bodyguard in something ridiculously useless because he is a pervert. All it means is that when you try to kill him off the guard's will be a lot less of a problem than if he'd given them sensible stuff. Similarly if someone gives all their guards giant oversized swords (within physical practicality) because he wants them to look intimidating when all they ever do is stand around looking dangerous and aren't actually expecting to fight anyone, I don't mind that either. Its only when people who are using it for non-ceremonial purposes are running round in the every day in chainmail bikinis with 8ft long swords that its really is an issue, and its the players own silly fault if they decide to loot those impractical things and use them rather than something of actual use.

Edited by Alexjh

Sorry to break it to you, but most people like cool **** and don't really care if it's practical or not. Popular **** is popular for a reason.

And we all know Project Eternity's trying to appeal to the mainstream masses.

Nope, mundane realism just doesn't fit the setting. If the world was a low magic world and more focused on realism and less on some über metaphysical soul-**** with firearms, the mundane gritty looking style would fit perfectly. As it stands however, mundane and realistic would feel very out of place.

The LotR trilogy is one of the most well known high fantasy settings and it's costume and armour design are exceptionally practical and realistic (except for only 1 or 2 characters).

Or are you telling me your imersion was broken the entire time because the armour designs weren't retarded enough?

• Like 6

And we all know Project Eternity's trying to appeal to the mainstream masses.

True, to an extent, but the minority that it's designed to appeal to is "fans of Infinity Engine games," and not "fans of medieval life simulators." IWD, PST, and BG were hardly realistic in their depictions of armor, and the closest they came to realism included big pauldrons, boob plates, and skin tight everything. In fact, when BG2 made the armor look a little more realistic the community responded by making mods to restore the old BG1 look and 1pp is now one of the most popular mods out there for the game.

You can't say that P:E is made to appeal to the minority like there is only one minority. The reality is fans of the IE games don't care that much for realism as evidenced by the fact that the IE games are not all that realistic. Not once on any forum (even here where realism is some sacred thing) have I heard anyone say "Well I really liked BG/IWD/PS:T, but I just couldn't get into them because the armor designs ripped me right out of the experience." Sorry to say it but you're the (very vocal) minority of a minority and the majority of us just like cool **** and don't really care if it's practical or not.

The LotR trilogy is one of the most well known high fantasy settings and it's costume and armour design are exceptionally practical and realistic (except for only 1 or 2 characters).

Or are you telling me your imersion was broken the entire time because the armour designs weren't retarded enough?

LotR has realistic armor? If anything it has a wide range of armor, both realistic and over the top (which is precisely what people who like crazy looking armor want; a mix of everything). Cake everyday would be boring, but so would salad; variety is the spice of life and what people prefer.

Edited by Dream

Looking forward to seeing monks pound some sense into people clinging to their 'realistic' full plates. We also got magical gear and spells that can render all 'practical' looks meaningless. That's marvelous considering PE is a fantasy game.

Hm? Oh yeah. "You can kiss our non-armored cod piece, you stinkin' no good armor-lovers!" Hehe, nah just kidding. I like realistic armors too. It's important to pick a consistent theme. However, I want the really rare armors/weapons to look high fantasy-like and not necessarily practical. We're playing a fantasy game so I'd like to see a lot of variety. Games are meant to be fun after all. I also want the important NPCs to wear high fantasy armors to stand out and to physically portray their uniqueness from a normal soldier/citizen... Unless it's an undercover assassin, but it won't be revealed until much later that the baker is a hard core killer. In that case, it would be best to have an unassuming appearance.

This is something I would like see a more seasoned adventurer/leader wear.

sieg-soul3art.jpg

I'm also a fan of the Fire Emblem clothes. Not so much the anime faces though.

Fire%20Emblem.jpg

I also think we need a mandatory plate bikini in every RPG. :p I'm not expecting it to be very functional or practical, but there should be one according nerdfest rule: "54". However, if it happens to have kick ass magical properties then... awesome. Actually, I'm just going into extremes because I think a majority of people here are allergic to fun. :p "No. Your opinion in clothing taste is outright wrong!" "No. You're wrong!" "I keel you" "No, I keel youuu" >:o

• Like 1

True, to an extent, but the minority that it's designed to appeal to is "fans of Infinity Engine games," and not "fans of medieval life simulators." IWD, PST, and BG were hardly realistic in their depictions of armor, and the closest they came to realism included big pauldrons, boob plates, and skin tight everything.

That does not mean such designs are what is ideal to fans of those games. I've been a fan of those games for many years but I've always been fervently against big paudrons, boob plates and skin tight everything.

Also requesting a more "realistic" aesthetic =/= wanting a medieval life simulator.

In fact, when BG2 made the armor look a little more realistic the community responded by making mods to restore the old BG1 look and 1pp is now one of the most popular mods out there for the game.
What a subsection of the community does isn't a representative of the wants of the whole community. Especially when it's the modding community.

You can't say that P:E is made to appeal to the minority like there is only one minority. The reality is fans of the IE games don't care that much for realism as evidenced by the fact that the IE games are not all that realistic.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Again you assume people didn't like these games despite the armour design choices.

Not once on any forum (even here where realism is some sacred thing) have I heard anyone say "Well I really liked BG/IWD/PS:T, but I just couldn't get into them because the armor designs ripped me right out of the experience."
Personal experience isn't a particularly valid source.

Sorry to say it but you're the (very vocal) minority of a minority and the majority of us just like cool **** and don't really care if it's practical or not.
Your opinion is not even the majority in this thread so I don't thinks it's wise to make that assumption.

Besides, I too like "cool designs", I just don't think big pauldrons, boob plates or skin tight armour are cool. Instead I prefer practical designs that serve a functional purpose and accurately provide an insight into the culture and environment in which the armour was crafted.

In my eyes, showing that level of attention to detail and world-building is cool.

LotR has realistic armor?
It's amusing because that's the armour I was thinking of when I said "except for 1 or 2 characters".

I've also always found Sauron's armour to be the worst in the films.

Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 1