Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part II).

Olivier Ledroit of Requiem Chevalier Vampire fame (if you have not read it, DO).

Ostentatious? Yes, but look into more of this guy's stuff and you would have wished bringing him on board was one of the stretch goals.

As a first thought.... no I don't think I'd wish for something like that anytime soon.

As a second thought.. these would have made fine fodder for the oversexualization thread.

Note the slightly different levels of protection from female and male versions of vampire plate mail. :)

But then.. well yeah. These could be the kind of stuff vampire lords and demonic kerberos-trainers might wear.

Gaudy, full of look at my **** while I'm casting dominate person. Maybe full of magic protections or whatevers.

I could see these as lootable goodies, not as something you'd see around all the time.

The halberd in the first picture though.. no. No-one could use that.

No matter how strong the wielder is, Newtonian physics dont allow for swinging weapons heavier than the swinger.

Has this been posted? A bit too old, as in 5th century AD, not exactly what PE is aiming for perhaps?

Considering how there was something about elves still being practically at stone age, don't see why not.

The helm (being the only bit of armor in the picture) is just fine, sword, spear and shield likewise.

I'd like if some areas would have the normal clothing much to this style,

Add scale or mail hauberk for the wealthier warriors, metal gloves and boots next, maybe faceplates or visors as well.

If they go the realistic route then all armor would look exactly the same.

Not even remotely true. At no point in human history has there been a worldwide, standardized style of armour (especially in the medieval and early modern eras.) If they do take the realistic route we'd likely see armour that is practical, coherent and a reflection of the environment and culture of its wearer.

I want the fancy crap to look bad ass with flames and skulls and spikes and what have you. Who cares if it's practical; it's called fantasy for a reason.
And just because it's fantasy that doesn't mean it can't have some semblance of verisimilitude, nor does it mean it has to conform to hideous aesthetics that the market is already oversaturated with. Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 2

Considering how there was something about elves still being practically at stone age, don't see why not.

The helm (being the only bit of armor in the picture) is just fine, sword, spear and shield likewise.

I'd like if some areas would have the normal clothing much to this style,

Add scale or mail hauberk for the wealthier warriors, metal gloves and boots next, maybe faceplates or visors as well.

Yeah, could work for Glanfathan elves.

Has this been posted? A bit too old, as in 5th century AD, not exactly what PE is aiming for perhaps?

Visigoth.jpg

I'd really like to see a large range to the armour in game - I'd like to see armour like this being worn by some factions/characters even though it's "obsolete" compared to the cutting edge of arms and armour development at the time. I'd like to see full plate armour be something rare, expensive and valuable, and the best types have to be custom made for the wearer, as opposed to something you find as random loot two hours into the game. I think making plate armour uncommon would give it much more character, and I'd really like to see mismatched battles between well equipped characters and comparably "primitive" hill tribes wielding wood/stone/occasionally iron weapons.

• Like 4

I'd really like to see a large range to the armour in game - I'd like to see armour like this being worn by some factions/characters even though it's "obsolete" compared to the cutting edge of arms and armour development at the time. I'd like to see full plate armour be something rare, expensive and valuable, and the best types have to be custom made for the wearer, as opposed to something you find as random loot two hours into the game. I think making plate armour uncommon would give it much more character, and I'd really like to see mismatched battles between well equipped characters and comparably "primitive" hill tribes wielding wood/stone/occasionally iron weapons.

What I was thinking was that guards wearing lighter armour, won't rely on armour and tanking, not that much anyway. For example, the guy in the picture could use stealth, evasion etc. Magic might also come into use of course. And there can always be something a bit more reliable for taking hits below that cloth, as well as the shield.

I agree. Don't necessarily want flames and skulls and spikes mind you...but if I wanted completely realistic and authentic armors I'd go read a ****ing history book. Or play a Total War game.

I don't think anyone in this topic called for "completely realistic and authentic armors". But every once in a while someone has to post that strawman ;)

Except 90% of the pictures in this thread are exactly that: authentic, realistic, and boring as ****.

I agree. Don't necessarily want flames and skulls and spikes mind you...but if I wanted completely realistic and authentic armors I'd go read a ****ing history book. Or play a Total War game.

I don't think anyone in this topic called for "completely realistic and authentic armors". But every once in a while someone has to post that strawman ;)

Except 90% of the pictures in this thread are exactly that: authentic, realistic, and boring as ****.

Not really surprising you'd think that, considering this :

I want the fancy crap to look bad ass with flames and skulls and spikes and what have you.

Unfortunately, I have bad news for you :

I agree with you on all points. I'll make sure to take the spongy Mjolnir I have in my office and smite any artist who dares create unwieldy-looking weapons or crazy, S&M, cosplay outfits . In all seriousness, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be quite pleased with the art direction and thematic flavor of the gear in Project Eternity.

source : http://forums.obsidi...00#entry1201923

Repeating the same thing has become rather boring, but here goes : we're talking about taking influence, not copying.

• Like 2

Repeating the same thing has become rather boring, but here goes : we're talking about taking influence, not copying.

What the difference; if you're influenced by boring **** you're gonna get boring ****.

Whether it's boring or not is a matter of opinion. So let's just leave it at that.

In any case, the issue I had was with the strawman (that tends to be used every second page or so ;)) that apparently we're advocating complete realism and historical authenticity.

Edited by Karranthain

What the difference; if you're influenced by boring **** you're gonna get boring ****.

Whether it's boring or not is a matter of opinion. So let's just leave it at that.

In any case, the issue I had was with the strawman (that tends to be used every second page or so ;)) that apparently we're advocating complete realism and historical authenticity.

Based on the pictures in this thread you are.

Based on the pictures in this thread you are.

Not really, case in point :

http://forums.obsidi...40#entry1247786

http://forums.obsidi...i/#entry1239125

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250353

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250890

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250004

But if that's what you want to believe...

Remember how I said 90%; those are the 10, and even then only the first 3 really.

And lastly, this is what forums are for - you might as shut down them down if you don't want people discussing design/aestethic/story topics; Obsidian isn't obligated to listen to us, or even read this - but they might. To quote Monte Carlo, it's not diktat.

Right, and to quote the guy who replied to me and underlined my point about not copying historic real world designs.

sez who

Anyone who knows anything about the internet knows how to and can find all the reference material they want to look at pictures of medieval/renaissance arms and armor. If discussing medieval arms and armor, or sharing pics of them, is what you want this thread to be about you need to start a new one. This thread was clearly about asking Obsidian to make arm's and armor in game more realistic when I read it. Considering you are the OP I would think you would know that. Not that Obsidian ever had any plans to do something else, their own concept art shows they don't.

This isn't Lionheart, it is based in fantasy not reality or a fantasy take on reality. Using any real world military unit designs would be, in short, a really bad idea. Your own reply to me even says you would like to see a real world Germanic Mercenary in full historic attire show up in game. So maybe you should stop quoting other people and be an adult by admitting that is exactly what you are advocating in this thread.

This is a pretty stupid argument. Real world cultures developed weapons the way they did for a reason...because they work. Years of trial and error and development of military technology led to a wide variety of weapons best suited to dealing death, they didn't just decide on what looked cool. What is a really bad idea is when rpg's take your advice and think they need to pull every single design out of thin air and come up with things that would never have made it onto a battlefield in the real world because they aren't practical and wouldn't function. This is fantasy, true, but the best fantasy has a basis in reality and presents a convincing world that could have existed had say magic been real, or dragons existed. The bad kind of fantasy imo, and the kind today's market is over saturated with is the kind made by people ignorant of history who design things with the intent that they look fancy, rather than that they look functional.

If you'd have to pick one set of armour and one weapon type to be included in PE, what would be your choice? Post images and a small explanation why (use the following template for clarity).

Armour

Field Armor of King Henry VIII of England

DT205963.jpg

This armor looks very intimidating. I like the coloring and the use of leather together with steel. The helmet is neat-looking too. In my opinion this armor would be perfect for an enemy boss.

Weapon

Falchion

DT7691.jpg

An extremly vicious looking weapon. Beautiful, yet deadly.

• Like 2

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Back on topic, what do you think of this design? It could work for Glanfathan Elf Berserkers perhaps.

Marauder_of_Tzeentch_concept.jpg

Cool and it could work for berserkers, but I'm not really into showing off my characters' torso. :grin:

Aside from that; if elves look like that guy, it's going to be a step in the right direction.

Edited by kenup

Back on topic, what do you think of this design? It could work for Glanfathan Elf Berserkers perhaps.

Marauder_of_Tzeentch_concept.jpg

Cool and it could work for berserkers, but I'm not really into showing off my characters' torso. :grin:

Aside from that; if elves look like that guy, it's going to be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, you know those berserkers - not really keen on having armour ;)

I also found something nice for a rogue class :

witchhunter-concept-02_0.jpg

• Like 1