Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part II).

Right, and to quote the guy who replied to me and underlined my point about not copying historic real world designs.

sez who

Anyone who knows anything about the internet knows how to and can find all the reference material they want to look at pictures of medieval/renaissance arms and armor. If discussing medieval arms and armor, or sharing pics of them, is what you want this thread to be about you need to start a new one. This thread was clearly about asking Obsidian to make arm's and armor in game more realistic when I read it. Considering you are the OP I would think you would know that. Not that Obsidian ever had any plans to do something else, their own concept art shows they don't.

The topic first started as a plea for more believable and down to earth designs. It's only natural that people would post what they'd like to see in the game, hence various image examples. Not all of them were of medieval/renaissance arms and armor. Case in point :

http://forums.obsidi...40#entry1247786

http://forums.obsidi...i/#entry1239125

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250353

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250004

http://forums.obsidi...60#entry1250890

This isn't Lionheart, it is based in fantasy not reality or a fantasy take on reality. Using any real world military unit designs would be, in short, a really bad idea.

That's your opinion. Not that the idea was complete realism anyway - just using varied influences, some of them historical. And yes, I'd love to play a sequel to Darklands, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Your own reply to me even says you would like to see a real world Germanic Mercenary in full historic attire show up in game. So maybe you should stop quoting other people and be an adult by admitting that is exactly what you are advocating in this thread.

How about I quote myself then?

http://forums.obsidi...20#entry1240350

Indeed, but since it's a fantasy game I personally don't mind a small concession here or there;

http://forums.obsidi...a/#entry1188299

Indeed, I'm not advocating absolute realism - for an instance, Lord of the Rings movies do this right most of the time I feel. But it still retained that fantasy feel.

And :

(from the original post).

In the examples, I've juxtaposed somewhat ornamental and a bit fantasy looking pieces of equipment with ones that look more like toys (which I consider to be a general tendency in fantasy cRPGS). Is the continuing urge for so called "epicness" really worth it? I think there's plenty of historical (and not so historical) arms and armour to draw inspiration from. Non-practical equipment is a real eye sore most of the time, IMHO.

It really does seem that you haven't actually read this topic.

Edited by Karranthain

I would really love it if obsidian chose a more Robert E. Howard/Classic Tolkein style for the arms and armor as opposed to the current fixation on final fantasy and anime inspired gear we see in games like WoW and basically every other rpg out there nowadays. There used to be a time when swords actually looked like swords and not giant multicolored slabs of stone with glowing writing all over them and spikes jutting out everywhere.

Regarding the topic of female armors. I think plate mail could be largely unisex, however leather armor and thief gear should be more revealing imo, because I think its perfectly reasonable to imagine a thief attempting to play up her own sexuality in order to seduce noblemen/steal stuff ect.

Reasonable realistic looking armor and weapons is fine, basing it on real world historical groups or figures isn't. This isn't medieval Germany, it is PE and they need to go with their own design concepts. It would be nice not to see a sword bigger than the person holding it in one hand though.

Sez who?

Says anyone who knows anything about good world buidling or design. PE is not based on the real world, it shouldn't use real world designs. That isn't a large leap of logic. I don't want to see a German Landsknecht wandering around an elven ruin, it would straight out make no sense and be lazy to boot.

I am also sure Obsidian is perfectly capable of looking up authentic real world armor/weapon designs on their own so I don't know why all these pictures keep getting spammed. Why don't we trust them to do their own research and let their art team create their own original gear designs to bring their world to life?

If we put you on a room on your own, would you still start a fight?

Sheesh, find another thread to haunt. Morale Vampire.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Reasonable realistic looking armor and weapons is fine, basing it on real world historical groups or figures isn't. This isn't medieval Germany, it is PE and they need to go with their own design concepts. It would be nice not to see a sword bigger than the person holding it in one hand though.

Sez who?

Says anyone who knows anything about good world buidling or design. PE is not based on the real world, it shouldn't use real world designs. That isn't a large leap of logic. I don't want to see a German Landsknecht wandering around an elven ruin, it would straight out make no sense and be lazy to boot.

I am also sure Obsidian is perfectly capable of looking up authentic real world armor/weapon designs on their own so I don't know why all these pictures keep getting spammed. Why don't we trust them to do their own research and let their art team create their own original gear designs to bring their world to life?

Or better yet, let him haunt the Romance thread ;)

Edited by Karranthain

Sez who?

Or better yet, you guys can stop acting like butt hurt 5 year olds cause someone doesn't agree with you.

Sez who?

Or better yet, you guys can stop acting like butt hurt 5 year olds cause someone doesn't agree with you.

I rest my case. :)

And what do you think about this ?

I like the level of detail, but the style is redolent of "kewl d00d" syndrome, a disease of artists trying to appeal to the 8-12 year-old male demographic. A lich, a demon prince, or an arch devil might be able to pull off this look successfully, but it's too stylized for me to accept it as something that our PC might wear.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

And what do you think about this ?

Not something from a local shop obviously, but that'd be great example of something you'd loot from the necromancer who'd been wearing it to gain influence and intimidation over the band or orcs he'd been bossing over. Or something. Wonder if the green showing through is his skin? Then it'd be pretty weak leather armor with plated gloves and boots. But if it's a part of the armor it could be a pretty effective suit.

Lot's of valid reasons for a bit of extravaganza, though most would be about making an impression.

I'd like to see stuff like that in the game. Alongside plainer examples.

Because if that'd be the casual design, then it'd just be a gothic circus where nothing is special looking.

If they go the realistic route then all armor would look exactly the same. I want the fancy crap to look bad ass with flames and skulls and spikes and what have you. Who cares if it's practical; it's called fantasy for a reason.

• Like 3

I'd like my psionicist-type PC to be protected by a mental force field. She'd go buck naked, and her melee weapon would be a day old turkey leg (with a bite taken out). Should I post pics for dev inspiration?

Edited by Katrar
  • Like 3

I agree. Don't necessarily want flames and skulls and spikes mind you...but if I wanted completely realistic and authentic armors I'd go read a ****ing history book. Or play a Total War game.

I don't think anyone in this topic called for "completely realistic and authentic armors". But every once in a while someone has to post that strawman ;)

273392_704630611_1833585766_q.jpg

This question is from Micah Beaumont. "What are some of the specific things (such as Movies, Artists, Books, Games) that greatly influence you?"

n504e0f0be9b76_medium.jpg

I take a lot of inspiration from history. History books contain some of the most interesting characters and conflicts I've ever seen. I like the histories of "great men" (and women, like Joan of Arc and Lucrezia Borgia), but I'm really fascinated by the lives of ordinary, less well-known people put in difficult or unusual circumstances. In particular, figures like Martin Guerre, Domenico Scandella (aka Menocchio), Matteo Ricci, and Hans Böhm are really inspiring to me. St. Waidwen in Project Eternity is based on legends of Hans Böhm, aka the Drummer of Niklashausen.

Along the same lines, I like history and historical fiction, both in films and books. I really enjoy the historically-focused works of Umberto Eco, especially The Name of the Rose and Baudolino. Lawrence of Arabia and Roland Joffé's The Mission are both favorite films of mine and were inspirations for the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Honest Hearts.

Haters can suck on our huge metal codpieces on our gothic plates.

Reminds me I really liked the Cuman designs in TW: Stainless Steel mod

cuman_heavy_infantry_info.png

There was this even neater example somewhere, with real simplified face plate, basically just eye and mouth slits which looked just evil.

Looks like the 7.0 version is coming up nicely, I'll have to reserve a month for when I get my paws on that.

Anyway, I really like the design, what with plated arms and legs, hauberk, and enough clothing to make it anything but plain.

It'd be neat if Eternity had facemask separated from helm, though many helms would combine both.

Reminds me I really liked the Cuman designs in TW: Stainless Steel mod

cuman_heavy_infantry_info.png

There was this even neater example somewhere, with real simplified face plate, basically just eye and mouth slits which looked just evil.

Looks like the 7.0 version is coming up nicely, I'll have to reserve a month for when I get my paws on that.

Anyway, I really like the design, what with plated arms and legs, hauberk, and enough clothing to make it anything but plain.

It'd be neat if Eternity had facemask separated from helm, though many helms would combine both.

Something like in this post (or this one) is pretty cool, yeah.

Edited by Karranthain

Olivier Ledroit of Requiem Chevalier Vampire fame (if you have not read it, DO).

olivierledroit8.jpg

prince-elfe-noir-105580202.jpg

dame-claudia-demona-105544428.jpg

Ostentatious? Yes, but look into more of this guy's stuff and you would have wished bringing him on board was one of the stretch goals.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Olivier Ledroit of Requiem Chevalier Vampire fame (if you have not read it, DO).

olivierledroit8.jpg

prince-elfe-noir-105580202.jpg

dame-claudia-demona-105544428.jpg

Ostentatious? Yes, but look into more of this guy's stuff and you would have wished bringing him on board was one of the stretch goals.

Too exaggerated and useless for me.

I want to discuss other issues related to this. I would like to see different models for the same weapon tier. This would add realism and variety to the game. What do you think?

• Like 3