This must be a dream come true for Obsidian to make a game they have wanted to for a very long time. I have a feeling the PE is going to blow the roof off and make a lot of gamers dreams come true!

To top it off it must be nice to get paid up front for a game that you never made yet.... Paid in full.

PS: We should all get stock shares...j/k :w00t:

• Like 3

First off, people who disagree with the OP may join one of the other various flaming threads. Maybe we can make this thread a place

where people are truly excited about Project Eternity. :)

This must be a dream come true for Obsidian to make a game they have wanted to for a very long time.

It's not only a dream for them. But a dream for us as well. They share their dream with us.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

As happy as am for myself that I'll get to play a (hopefully) pretty cool game in a year and a half, I'm happier that Obsidian gets a chance to make game and IP that they can truly call their own.

Exactly how I feel. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Aside from AP?

But considering I really liked that game, good hopes for one that doesn't stop after a single iteration.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Aside from AP?

But considering I really liked that game, good hopes for one that doesn't stop after a single iteration.

Sega owns Alpha Protocol IP.

I'm happy that they're getting to make a game, that they're still in business (I remember people speculating for some time doom and gloom) and that the game seems so darn cool and I'll get to play it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Right. I was reading it more like they never made an IP where they had themselves all reigns (which definitely was the case for AP). Didn't take into account it would also mean owning said IP.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Right. I was reading it more like they never made an IP where they had themselves all reigns (which definitely was the case for AP). Didn't take into account it would also mean owning said IP.

Ah I get what you're saying.

Anyhow the advantage with PE is they don't have a publisher to please, just them and us.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This must be a dream come true for Obsidian to make a game they have wanted to for a very long time. I have a feeling the PE is going to blow the roof off and make a lot of gamers dreams come true!

To top it off it must be nice to get paid up front for a game that you never made yet.... Paid in full.

I agree with your positive sentiment but the game still has to sell copies and make money before you can say its a financial success for Obsidian. The money committed from KS is development costs. End of the day I firmly believe that Obsidian wants to make this game but they also would want to make money for themselves. That will determine whether these types of development models continue. I am confidant it will sell well.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wasn't it also said that Obsidian was considering making PE a franchise?

That's pretty clearly their intent. The Kickstarter's success indicates that there's still a market for these kind of games, but the game is going to also need to sell (relatively) well at release and let's be frank it needs to be "good" -- in order for them to serialize their IP, it needs to make an impact and generate not just some sales, but some buzz.

• Like 1

My greatest hope with Project Eternity and its other KS brothers and sisters (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, DFA etc.) is that they end up making their creators a nice big pile of cash from after-release sales. This would mean that they get to self-publish their next game using profits from the first one without having to either run a Kickstarter campaign or sell their IP and souls to those big publishing houses in order to release more stuff.

Kickstarting is a really apt name for all this crowdfunding business in this sense, no?

Edited by RiceMunk

My greatest hope with Project Eternity and its other KS brothers and sisters (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, DFA etc.) is that they end up making their creators a nice big pile of cash from after-release sales. This would mean that they get to self-publish their next game using profits from the first one without having to either run a Kickstarter campaign or sell their IP and souls to those big publishing houses in order to release more stuff.

Kickstarting is a really apt name for all this crowdfunding business in this sense, no?

That would be nice ... but I know Feargus has said on the comments section of the KS page, that they are considering doing another KS campaign for the next full PE game (not to be confused with the expansion, which they will fund themselves).

This for me is the biggest thing about Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity that I've pledge. I know there have been kickstarter projects that have successfully been completed such as Faster Than Light, but I think Wasteland 2 is the first big project that have the potential to be bigger than what an indie game would normally be, and then of course comes other projects too like PE in 2014.

So I'm excited to see the real result of a strong crowd funded project.

Right. I was reading it more like they never made an IP where they had themselves all reigns (which definitely was the case for AP).

Not really, Sega still prevented them from doing certain things in AP

If Indy games like FTL or Legend of Grimrock can make more money than their developmental costs, then I'm sure many of the kickstarter games have no problems making money either. :D

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

Yeah this was the first Kickstarter I gave to, and probably the last for a while.

The fact that they more than doubled the original goal and are adding all these classes and features, yeah I'm excited.

Can't wait to see the first screenshot soon.

Not really, Sega still prevented them from doing certain things in AP.

First I hear of it.

What were some of the changes?

^

I agree with your positive sentiment but the game still has to sell copies and make money before you can say its a financial success for Obsidian. The money committed from KS is development costs. End of the day I firmly believe that Obsidian wants to make this game but they also would want to make money for themselves. That will determine whether these types of development models continue. I am confidant it will sell well.

They will all get paid salary from kickstarter backers too I would think so. I think worst thing that could happen is they break even with no lost at all because they met all the goals they wanted from Kickstarter backers. I could be wrong... :blink: