Traveling, curiosity

So how is traveling done? Fast travel a la Baldur's Gate as far I understand it.

Can it be spiced up and improved? Mounts? A flying dragon? Is there going to be any steampunk?

What I am suggesting, speculating or just wondering about... could any of these heighten the speed of which you travel? Walking from point A to B takes... let's say 8 hours. With a mount (horse) it could take 4 hours, and with a flying mount 2 hours.

It would still be the same fast travel as Baldur's Gate as I envision it, but you'd simply just get to point B faster.

This is only remotely important if there are going to be any dynamic events such as "You need to finish this quest within X hours" or "You'll miss this companion if you don't get to this point within Y amount of time" etc. etc.

No, no mounts... there have been a few other threads about this already. The necessary animations and links to combat state and whatever--a lot of work for no content gain and minimal mechanics advantage. Obs has already confirmed that travel will be basically on foot, like in the IE games.

What’s the major mode of transportation in this universe?

Foot travel is the primary mode of transportation, although occasionally players may find themselves magically transported somewhere. To speed up overland travel, we will implement a map UI so the player can quickly move their party to locations they’ve already discovered. Note that our map UI is similar to what’s been found in the Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate games, not Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3/New Vegas-style fast travel.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I know, I specifically meant "Map" travel not the land travel or area travel, sorry, re-reading the OP I did the same mistake again (I've always been bad at explaining~). It's such a minor thing really but I am curious. What I mean is practically "invisible" mounts. In Baldur's Gate it takes "X" amount of hours to travel from point A to B on the World Map. What I'm really wondering about is really if there will be time based events xD in that case you might want to be able to get something that make you travel quicker over land.

This is what I am specifically wondering about:

Note that our map UI is similar to what’s been found in the Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate games, not Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3/New Vegas-style fast travel.

Map travel: Mounts? Faster travel? This is the theme of the thread

http://mikesrpgcente.../swordcoast.gif

Area: Not for this thread(?)

http://1.bp.blogspot...te gameplay.jpg

Two different things

EDIT: Speculation: If time based events would be present in the game and if these "invisible" mounts would be present I am more curious as to how one could attain them through the Area exploration.

As an example: To get that horse so that you can Fast Travel on the World Map (A la Baldur's Gate) you need to do a couple of quest/get the money for it. Or the Dragon (which started as an idea in another thread xD) where you need to do some epic quest to attain it. Now you wouldn't visibly be riding on it in any animations, all it would do would make you travel much faster over the World Map "You gained +1 to traveling!".

Personally, of course, it interests me if it had some purpose behind it. And I've always wanted to be a Dragon riding adventurer too :D but mostly mechanically for timed events, which could be the purpose in this case.

Edited by Osvir

Now you wouldn't visibly be riding on it in any animations, all it would do would make you travel much faster over the World Map "You gained +1 to traveling!".

This reminds me of Mount & Blade. Except I think in P.E it might feel a bit odd carrying tiny little horse icons in your personal backpack (in Mount & Blade it always felt more like the "whole army's provisions" inventory vs. personal).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not seeing it as an icon in your backpack. Much more simplified, you do the epic quest for the horse/dragon, you get the horse icon on the World Map.. pretty much.

E.g., you'd have the horse icon in the upper right/left (somewhere) corner of the World Map. With a horse you'd lessen the chances of "Random Encounters" and with a flying Fast Traveling thing you'd get "No Random Encounters".

Why would I want this/suggest this?

A, Remove the tedium of random encounters late game/end game exploration

B, If In-Game real time is present I will want to be able to reach my goal within time. Or if a Quest has a "You've got 7 hours left to do this" but it takes 8 hours to get there, then I wouldn't even bother. With a Fast Traveling Speed Boost (not necessarily a mount, maybe a Global Teleport spell could do the thing too) I would manage to get there in time, save the princess and then continue on my travels.

C, I've always wanted a dragon in these types of games. Where is it!? xD

This kind of stuff is something we find in adventure games such as Zelda, Alundra, Final Fantasy and so on...

"You need this horse/camel to be able to pass through this desert" or "You need a boat/canoe to pass over the river". Great for Expansions, Sequels, mods. "With this zeppelin/dragon you can cross to another continent" ;)

Edited by Osvir

No, no mounts... there have been a few other threads about this already. The necessary animations and links to combat state and whatever--a lot of work for no content gain and minimal mechanics advantage. Obs has already confirmed that travel will be basically on foot, like in the IE games.

Foot travel is the primary mode of transportation, although occasionally players may find themselves magically transported somewhere. To speed up overland travel, we will implement a map UI so the player can quickly move their party to locations they’ve already discovered. Note that our map UI is similar to what’s been found in the Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate games, not Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3/New Vegas-style fast travel.

It's not like they need to make animations for the horse. They could do it similar to Fallout's 2 car travel: you simply move faster on the overworld. It doesn't have to show the actual horses moving.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's not like they need to make animations for the horse. They could do it similar to Fallout's 2 car travel: you simply move faster on the overworld. It doesn't have to show the actual horses moving.

That's the best idea. Introducing stables, and shortening travel times at world map via horses. Stable is place that shows up at least twice in any good fantasy book after all lol Plus the possibility to store items in the saddles.