Drinking  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Whould you like drinking minigame to project Eternity ?

• Yes.. :D
    • No :(
  2. 2. Whould you like to drink with your companions or only npc ?

• Companions and NPC's
    • Only Companions
    • Only Npc's
  3. 3. What significance should be drinking alcohol in the game ?

• Only optaining informations
    • obtain information and short funny interludes of events
    • second answer + Quest for exampe "drunk someone to give you something"
    • Other, explain below

Hello

I really like the drinking minigame and mechanics from Witcher. I think that drinking whould by a exellent addon to the project. to find out something interesting such as gossip or to obtain information from the NPC that normally would not have to get drunk shared. It is good ifea of spending some time with your companions or other npc.

Drinking beer with dwarf, wine with elf companion or simply vodka with human mercenery. What do you think about adding drinking (alkohol not potions) to the game, when you are resting in tawern or simply in your base-camp, partying with companions all night long hehe :D

I whould like your opinion about that subject so don't by shy :p

Edited by ArchBeast

I don't know about a mini-game or whatever but I would like to see alcohol in the game. Sometimes it's nice to have a fresh pint after getting back to town.

I don't like games that lower your skills or blur your vision when you do this though...I'm a freakin hero, one pint of mead won't even phase me.

That being said, if I sit there pounding shots yeah it should affect me, I suppose I'm not a fan of games that cause an instant effect of being drunk.

I always liked drinkin with friends in UO...but those were real people so I dunno.

I guess I'll just keep it simple:

I want to be able to have a pint after a quest without falling down drunk.

I'd like some functionality (and use for that functionality) in pubs. I like the idea of getting hints from the barkeep, but it shouldn't be limited to that, IMO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't mind it generally, had an alcoholic dwarf in BG which was quite fun. But I also would like to be able to let other companions to the drinking and talking, as I want to be able to RP a character that doesn't drink alcohol at all, and not having to miss out on important stuff because of it.

Aye, drinking would be great. The rate at which you get intoxicated should be based on your Constitution score (or equivalent).

I'd like quite a few things connected to this.

- Drink with your companions after some adventuring to bond and increase morale.

- Drink with other NPC's to fish for information about quests, or rumor/intelligence gathering.

- Drink and get drunk and start swingin' (Tavern Brawl!!! Unarmed, of course. Or possibly use mugs and stools/chairs/benches)

(Not sure what function the last would have other than having a blast :p)

• Like 1

Hmm... I could see something like alcohol being a palliative for a broken soul, at least on a subconscious level. Perhaps many alcoholics in this world suffer from a broken soul but don't quite realize it, so they seek a temporary solace in a bottle, or with certain mind altering drugs. A related effect may be to make it harder to manipulate the souls of people under the influence of alcohol, but that also makes it more difficult for the inebriated to draw upon their own soul energy. There could be certain circumstances when that is advantageous for the drinker, such as when they're facing a Cipher.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

You see drinking in games isn't something new. I think only that this part of game can by dane batter than just "drink beer and gain - 2 inteligence". I think that drinking especially in games where you trawel wery much and offten you encounter difficult moral decisions, or some horrible thinks is absolutly normal. By the fact when you trawel wery much with you companions that whould by perectly normal to drink with your frend some shots by the cmap fire or in the tavern.

I think that some kinds of alcohol certainly WILL occur but i think that this can by than better than in lets say baldurs gate or neverwinter. I wery like the way the occur i Witcher, ofcurse i don't think that obsidian whould put this much effort tu this subject. But I have high hopes that it might do a bit better

If a drunkard fights a chanter the drunkard feels an incredible urge to sing-along, thus aiding in his own demise.

However, the singing along could be so off-key depending on the level of drunkness as to irrate the chanter to the point of dexterity loss due to his inability to focus while frustrated.

Screw the mini-game, let's have an alcoholic class.

Seth uses beer fart attack for 4 poison damage.

The Beholder is poisoned!

If there is a suitable companion for this: You may end up drinking with your slightly queer companion and end up bed with him. I think that would be just good humor to some people. Other may be like "Ohhhh no I'm not gay" and just end up loading the auto-save so that never actually happens.

Especially female players would find this interesting because they tend to create such relationships in their dirty minds anyway, but this would be fan service for them.

One of the things I really liked about the Might and Magic 3:Isles of Terra (the only game that came to mind, it's really old, but one of my favorites) and not BG2 game was that when I went to a tavern and drank something, I would be gathering information that I wouldn't to be able to find out otherwise. The information can help make the game deeper (maybe the barkeep or one of the customers knows how to best kill a creature or tells you a little about that dungeon right outside of town) and you'd have to pick whether you'd want to risk getting drunk for that next piece of information.

Not sure if this would be in the devs design specs, but if you are going to put drinking in there, just make sure I want to spend some time and money on it.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I'd love being able to get rumors on how to kill monsters that are wrong.

"Yeah, my gramps tol' me when I wuz knee-high to an orlens that you could kill one of those darn insectoid critters with a pick-axe to the head..."

[later]

"Damnit man, I'm pickaxing this insectoid's head like a hen pecking for seed on a sunny day and IT DOES NOTHING!!!!"

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Yeah, my gramps tol' me when I wuz knee-high to an orlens that you could kill one of those darn insectoid critters with a pick-axe to the head..."

[later]

"Damnit man, I'm pickaxing this insectoid's head like a hen pecking for seed on a sunny day and IT DOES NOTHING!!!!"

Haha totally! And only those with good enough info-gathering skills could separate the good info from the proverbial chaff.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

[later]

This is a *GREAT* idea. Can't believe I never thought of this before!

Get drunk, fight ***tty. Reaction time and thus accuracy/evasiveness reduced significantly, trip over yourself and be left totally vulnerable while down, drunk characters' assigned tactics get swapped for inopportune ones at random due to drunken stupor. Seems straightforward. Maybe wake up in bed with an unattractive (or depending on your luck, very attractive) person of either sex? Add some kind of trauma perk as a reward.

Edited by AGX-17

Obsidian has already stated they want to include mature themes in P:E they were forced to censor in other titles. Many of the most enduring games I've played have these elements. Remember the strung-out serpent venom addicts in Ultima VII? It made the pointless shantytown of Paws into an area you could emotionally connect to. Remember the Honorhall Orphange in Skyrim, and finding the creepy kid Aventus Arentino stabbing an effigy while chanting? It gave a more or less faceless war some actual impact beyond "oh some guys died." I would like to see all sorts of these elements in P:E.

Picture these scenarios:

1) Your party encounters a dragon. Your party leader says, "Never fear! We shall conquer you!", and you go into a pitched battle that lasts for hours and manage to eek out a win, with only a few casualties.

*or*

2) Your party encounters a dragon. Your entire party injects themselves with a powerful combat stimulant. Now, completely hopped up on amphetamines, they go screaming into battle, immune to pain and with a fervour and blood-lust in their eyes that makes even the dragon terrified. A few short seconds later, your party stands victorious, tearing the dragon to corpse to shreds and consuming the flesh raw.

... the aftermath being, of course, that half your party is now addicted to this stimulant and has to take it regularly, experience shakes that prevent restful sleep and randomly piss themselves.

Drugs (including alcohol) have been a part of life, warfare and the human experience since the dawn of culture. To ignore it in a game that is for the players would be sacrilege.

Edited by soulmata

I never saw much point in drinking in BG or BG2, but in Mass Effect there were a couple of funny bits resulting from drinking.

-------------------------------------

"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." - Thomas Jefferson, 1816