Inspiration from Gothic Series

I understand PE is based largely on the old IE games, but I was thinking it would be a good idea for Obsidian to consider some ideas/concepts based on the old Gothic 1/2 series. Some of the great things in Gothic included (granted, it's also applicable in some other games):

1. NPC scheduling - they actually have a real life cycle

2. Factions quest - quite similar to Fallout New Vegas

3. Interesting non-combat skills such as skinning animals for fur etc.

4. An interesting world to explore, with a sense of mystery.

5. No hand-holding, you can go anywhere you like - just don't expect to survive it if you're not well equipped.

• Like 4

5. No hand-holding, you can go anywhere you like - just don't expect to survive it if you're not well equipped.

All sound fantastic in theory, the execution will be telling however, I remember playing Gothic 3 and getting really annoyed with some of the aspects of that game and in truth I never completed it (bit like Oblivion/Skyrim for me, beautiful world but no gripping central plot device to hook you in). You did quote Gothic 1 & 2 however so maybe G3 was not as good as those two?

All sound fantastic in theory, the execution will be telling however, I remember playing Gothic 3 and getting really annoyed with some of the aspects of that game and in truth I never completed it (bit like Oblivion/Skyrim for me, beautiful world but no gripping central plot device to hook you in). You did quote Gothic 1 & 2 however so maybe G3 was not as good as those two?

Gothic 1 and 2 were definitely superior in story telling and pacing. You're really missing out on something if you didn't play Gothic 2 with the Night of the Raven expansion. Try it, I assure you that you won't be disappointed. It'll tide you over until PE is complete.

Gothic 3 tried to do too many things at once especially with too large a world without a gripping story. The difference was immediately clear when I started to play Gothic 3, there was very little exposition in the very beginning unlike Gothic 2. Perhaps it was trying too much to emulate the Elder Scrolls series instead of remaining true to its' roots. It also didn't help that Piranha Bytes was forced to push the game out early leading to some bugs here and there.