The 2.8 mil stretch goal rubs me the wrong way

A million dollars? It's 100k more than the previous goal.

In a way though, I am slightly surprised he's a goal all to himself. Especially such a significant milestone as 2.8m. But then, i've never played MotB or Dungeon Siege 3 so I have no idea why everyone thinks he's so wonderful.

Edited by Piccolo

Ummm you're like the only one who doesn't want this developer on the team..... just saying. Change it to something worthwhile? Like what? What in the world could be more important than adding a highly recognized and loved developer to help DEVELOP this game.

• Like 24

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Quote Feargus Urquhart:

"The money raised for the stretch goals doesn't all go to the development of that stretch goal. Any additional funds that we raise will be used to have additional people work on the project, such as area designers, programmers, and artists. All of these fine people will make the game's story larger and improves the quality of the game."

I fear some people just dont know how kickstarter and especially stretch goals work.

Stretch goals are just kind of a bait. It doesnt mean the bait (e.g. new class, new companion, player house) is that expensive - a lot more can be created with every new stretch goal.

• Like 18

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I don't know who the man is but some quick research shows he's had success in the past with this field.

And the fact that he very recently worked for Obsidian is good because he will fit right in with them I imagine.

Does it have me excited? No, not really, but it's good to know they are hiring someone with prior success in the field.

Seems like he will be a good fit for this type of game.

• Ziets has been a proponent of player choice in video games, stating that:

"I prefer to focus on meaningful player choices. An overarching storyline can be essentially linear, but the player can be offered critical choices at pre-defined points in that storyline. (And by critical choices, I’m talking about choices that have visibly different consequences, or lead to branches in the story structure.) That way, the design team maintains control over the number of possible outcomes and paths, while players understand that their choices matter, and result a distinctly different experience. And *all* choices should have consequences, or they shouldn’t be offered at all."

From the wiki.

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

In what way is a single developer worth a million dollars? No, in my opinion you should change that goal to something worthwhile.

That's. Yes, yes he is. Even without personal bias developer salary is normally the highest factor in costs regarding the development of a game itself. Not to mention another designer can focus on a new/certain aspect of the game, thereby providing more actual *game*. Especially one as talented and dedicated as Ziets.

With personal bias: 2.8 Million as a whole isn't enough for Ziet's greatness.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 5

I don't know who he is or care much about MotB (didn't like NWN1 and not interested in continuing to NWN2), but if his design and writing can mesh well with Avellone's, sure.

On the other hand, I was just reading about the design of Rashemen and that sounds fascinating...

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

"This thread is bad, and you should feel bad!"

*coughs*

Seriously, though, $100k to bring back a veteran Obsidian writer who recently lost his job, and who's known for writing both great lore and characters, is definitely a fantastic thing. We should see it as an achievement, and proof of just how awesome crowdfunding can be!

(Also, imagine how much more and diverse written content the game can get with one more writer on the team.)

Something stirs within...

If the OP is going to make a post about this (which I disagree with, by the way), at least present other options for what Obsidian should have made as the $2.8 million stretch goal. It seems kind of lazy to just criticize, but offer no alternatives.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

They need that much because rumour has it that George is a bit of a prima donna. He insists on fresh orchids in his dressing room, M&Ms with all the yellow ones removed, a black stretch hummer to pick him up every morning to take him to work and a chorus of dwarven castrato to sing ave maria while he's thinking in the mornings.

These things all add up.

• Like 10

sonsofgygax.JPG

Let's assume in this case the whole 100K is blown on getting Ziets onboard.

So... what else worthwhile could they get for the same cashpile? And extra developer with some other name?

It's not like Obsidian is giving Ziets a pile of money just to get his name on the back cover of the box.

I'm almost sure they'll actually make him work for it, doing some writing, making coffee, or something.

Play MoTB, be amazed. I recomend to everyone who doubts Ziets talent or think doesn't worth it. You have time until PE ships to give it a try.

Very true. A lot of people on this forum are just new to Obsidian's work, having been pulled in by the link to IE games I'm assuming.

Also, Ziets' work on DS3 crafting the storyline, and lore was really amazing. He really created a great mish-mash of ideas based on eastern and western cultural concepts and mythologies. It was unfortunate that there wasn't more story in DS3, as he created great depth to what was previously a fairly unremarkable world.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 1

Likely, Mr. Ziets is just the star of the addition, not the sole addition. They've talked about spreading it out so that the work doesn't end up overloading in any one area with each new addition. Art, writing, sound, programming. But they only cherry pick the most exciting element "NEW CLASS", "NEW WRITER" to advertise as the stretch goal.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I love how, after much clamoring (14 pages and counting, was it ?) for Mr Zeits to be added to stretch goals, when it finally happens, peoples are being rubbed the wrong way.

I wouldn't want to be doing a Kickstarter with that wide an audience, must be maddening. There's just no pleasing us.

• Like 6

I really have no idea what kind of salary a job like what Ziets is going to do on P:E usually brings, but if he is going to be hired full-time for a year and a half of development $100,000 isn't really that much considering obsidians expenses.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

I love how, after much clamoring (14 pages and counting, was it ?) for Mr Zeits to be added to stretch goals, when it finally happens, peoples are being rubbed the wrong way.

I wouldn't want to be doing a Kickstarter with that wide an audience, must be maddening. There's just no pleasing us.

That's Teh Internetz for you.