Please Obsidian: don't bite more than you can chew

Like some journalist around the internet I'm getting scared with all the stretch goals set up by Obsidian.

They seem to be a lot of stuff, perhaps too much for a company that had its fair share of project cancellations.

I don't want to be a jinx, I trust obsidian and I love all the people who work there for all the great games they made. I just want to say: I want this game to reach the (online) shops! So don't bite more than you can chew, we don't need 35 different classes, we don't need a 150 gameplay hours game, we just need a great RPG game. Ok?

Best of luck!

[Edit:

Disclaimer 1: I never said that Obsidian announced 35 classes and 150 hours of gameplay. My statement was just a way to say that I'd prefer that the developers focused on quality over quantity.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not saying that I don't trust Obsidian! I don't even know how many man-hours each stretch goal will take to complete! I'm just trying to tell the developers not to worry about the amount of content they are planning to put in the game. To me even a 20-40 hours game is going to be fine!]

Edited by Rahelron
  • Like 2

Please understand that this is a kickstarter for a game that is about to be shaped and formed at the hands of some brilliant people at Obsidian. Some of us know this from having played their other titles and we want to chip in and help them create something that they want to make. They are asking for freedom from a publisher and input from their fans.

This is a time to smile and be happy. How can some people be so negative already? Where do all the prophets of woe and calamity howlers come from?

And by the way: Prophet of Woe and Calamity Howler may be my two chanters in my third playthrough of PE when it's out. I will smile wrily while I play them thinking of all these pessimists then... ;)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Like some journalist around the internet I'm getting scared with all the stretch goals set up by Obsidian.

They seem to be a lot of stuff, perhaps too much for a company that had its fair share of project cancellations.

I don't want to be a jinx, I trust obsidian and I love all the people who work there for all the great games they made. I just want to say: I want this game to reach the (online) shops! So don't bite more than you can chew, we don't need 35 different classes, we don't need a 150 gameplay hours game, we just need a great RPG game. Ok?

Best of luck!

I would frikken love a 150 hour gameplay game that was enriched with lore, story, action, character interaction, and everything else. ... Just saying.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Where did you get the 35 diff. classes and 150 hours of gameplay info?

I just wanted to say: "What is in the game right now is enough, at least IMHO. Make shure that what you have already announced will be great, don't keep adding content for the sake of adding. The players (at least me) do not want quantity, they want quality... and the assurance that this game will reach the shops".

Obsidian have made games before, they know what they can do and what they can not.

100k for each stretch goal is essentially another developer on the project specifically to create content for said stretch goal. Nothing so far seems extreme or unattainable, to suggest they can not seems preposterous, perhaps as preposterous as the 150 hours gameplay figure you pulled out of the ether Rahelron.

• Like 1

Best of luck!

That much hyperbole, no one can take you seriously.

Also---150 hours would be freakin' awesome. Too bad it won't happen. *pine*

Anyone remember the stated hours for the various IE games?

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

People claim anywhere between 60-100 game hours with icewind dale depending on how you play.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

A polished game would be a nice goal (without stretching anything aside from the deadline)

Edited by Leewelo

619d221af6bf1263004acf169910804f0001a35d21555a1916f1ddfd5db8a03e6g.jpg

A myth is like good wine or cheese, growing meaningful with age.

- From Excentric quotes form the Lorekeepers of the Obsidian Order -

o/p makes a good point, and with the huge number of classes I am concerned that they will not be able to flesh out the talent trees fully: I don't like to make one character decision (when I roll it) I like to make more decisions along the way. Breadth can get in the way of depth.

Still, I assume that Obsidian know what they're doing. They've gone pretty far into their wish list for this game, but maybe not so far that they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Edited by Sordel

Obsidian always bites off more than they can chew, that's why I love them. Their failed attempts are far more interesting than most of the safe stuff in the industry.

A polished game would be a nice goal (without stretching anything aside from the deadline)

I believe that reputation for buggy releases has much to do with publisher pressures as well--release dates, contractual obligations, stuff like that.

This Kickstarter is the perfect--the only--opportunity for Obsidian to both break that reputation and stick it back to the publishers.

Anyway, as for biting off more than they can chew. Many people have complained that the stretch goals have been too conservative, and I think that's rather telling as to their calculations on what's "too much."

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Obsidian always bites off more than they can chew, that's why I love them. Their failed attempts are far more interesting than most of the safe stuff in the industry.

I believe that reputation for buggy releases has much to do with publisher pressures as well--release dates, contractual obligations, stuff like that.

This Kickstarter is the perfect--the only--opportunity for Obsidian to both break that reputation and stick it back to the publishers.

Anyway, as for biting off more than they can chew. Many people have complained that the stretch goals have been too conservative, and I think that's rather telling as to their calculations on what's "too much."

Heh, if you think people won't cry about the release date, you got something coming. Kickstarter will be no different from any company. The people will raise pitchforks and hell if Obsidian starts delaying the game. It has been done several times on Kickstarter already, even to the point of people threatening legal action.

Heh, if you think people won't cry about the release date, you got something coming. Kickstarter will be no different from any company. The people will raise pitchforks and hell if Obsidian starts delaying the game. It has been done several times on Kickstarter already, even to the point of people threatening legal action.

No, my point wasn't about release dates specifically but the implication of "good buggy 'failed' content" arising from the post I quoted, which would probably just worry people like the OP more.

There's an important difference here: with a traditional publisher, there is no need to raise pitchforks and hell. They just say 'your release date is Christmas, even if you have to ship the thing as an obvious beta. Our money, our decision.'

We humble pledgers have no such power. People may get disgruntled, may whine and complain, but so long as the game is eventually released I'm pretty sure no one has any power to make Obsidian do anything.

And so long as P:E isn't the RPG world's Duke Nukem Forever, I'm pretty sure the majority of pledgers will not grow so disgruntled that they rebel against the project. People will bitch and moan because people always bitch and moan, but whining without power is just noise. The noise will stop when they have a copy of P:E with finished content and which doesn't CTD every two minutes.

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi

It's still partially their fault. It's not unreasonable to poke at them every now and then about this.

We have no legal recourse. Even if they just ran off with the money.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

These guys have seen through many games which were enormous. I think they're going to be fine. The game doesn't even have half as many classes as any of the IE games did. So... yeah. I think they're being pretty reasonable.

And anything they can't fit into the first release, they can add later on in expansions. ...Right? :p

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

It's still partially their fault. It's not unreasonable to poke at them every now and then about this.

Absolutely. I wouldn't give them free pass, but a lot of variables go into making and shipping a game on the business end that are black box to most people.

We have no legal recourse. Even if they just ran off with the money.

I've always thought it strange that Kickstarter uses the term "backer," which to me implies investment. It should be donor. DONOR. :banghead:

it's only their fault if they're the ones handling the quality assurance. if they aren't, and it's the publisher doing it, then it's on the publisher.

Master Wetboy of the Obsidian Order of Eternity

it's only their fault if they're the ones handling the quality assurance. if they aren't, and it's the publisher doing it, then it's on the publisher.

Almost every game development company has publishers. I'm sure they all to deal.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance.