Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orcs - discussion

orc orcs race races warriors barberians tribe

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Orcs (343 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see orcs in the game ?

1. Yes, but only as evil common monsters. (57 votes [16.62%])

Percentage of vote: 16.62%

2. Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3. (125 votes [36.44%])

Percentage of vote: 36.44%

3. Yes- but only if there will by other races like halfogres etc. (40 votes [11.66%])

Percentage of vote: 11.66%

4. NO !!! (121 votes [35.28%])

Percentage of vote: 35.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah we have 24 interpretations of elves and dwarves. Your logic is like "They made them evil so they are evil" ORCs are not created by Tolkien

Uhm, I'm pretty sure orcs were created by Tolkien (unlike, say, elves and dwarves that he just put his own spin on).

Anyway, that isn't my logic at all. What I'm saying is that when you say "orc", everyone is going to have some basic expectations associated with the term. Not necessarily the exact same expectations, but the word carries a lot of baggage. There's a really tiring trope plaguing most current fantasy settings of being oh-so-different and look-how-we-subvert-classic-fantasy-tropes (note the irony). My "logic", as you call it, is that the further you deviate from the 'classic' orc, the less people will instinctively know what the heck you are talking about, and the more you have to explain everything.

Eventually you get to the point where you might just have called your race something else to avoid the initial confusion.

I guess I have to make this point clear though: This is not an on/off switch. I'm not saying you have to recreate Tolkien-esque orcs down to the last wart or you should call them something else. In fact, I'm not even convinced that Tolkien's orc is necessarily the 'default assumption', anyway. But at some point it just gets silly. Especially if you've not been good enough to communicate this to your own writing staff, so that some stories will involve orcs being classic orcs, and some will have orcs being the pink fluffy sheep that they are in your setting (or whatever).

As much as some people go "bah, Darkspawn are just orcs", that's exactly the point. They are the DA:O setting's equivalence of orcs, but they aren't particular orcish. If they had been called orcs, the differences would have caused more confusion than benefit. There's no reason for them to be orcs, unless they are actually, you know, orcs.

In short: The advantage of having an orc race in your setting, is that people will have a general idea of what they are about, so you save some explaining. All you have to do is focus on how orcs fit into your setting, and perhaps how your orcs deviate from the norm (for instances, orcs don't absolutely have to be chaotic evil. Maybe they have been somewhat 'civilized' in this time frame). The disadvantage of having orcs in your setting, is that if you really imagined something completely different, not only will you have to detail everything about this race, you also have some default assumptions actively working against you. That headache is entirely unnecessary.

FreeMayk

FreeMayk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Steam:FreeMayk
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I like Half-Orc race. Since BG2 i play with them.

D'rez

D'rez

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
If there where to be Orc's, I think Orc's should be savage brutes and mainly hostile creatures.. Perhaps some could be exhiles and for that be NPC's. But I rather not see them as playable character. Half Orc if fine by me, but they still should be limited in inteligence and therefore only be fighting/tanking machines.

Gahir

Gahir

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Imo we have missed the greatest race to play yet, namely Boo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsc ( super rodent to Minsc) imagen a race consistent of Hamster DNA based on Werewolf frame . All we need is some half tard party member who is losing grip on reality and we are set to go.

harhar!

harhar!

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Orks yes. Not just enemies. Also not green.

More like this:

Otherwise Ur-shak sad :(

Posted Image

romka-unknown

romka-unknown

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Orcs hostile.
Like this one. In the game they will be far and isometric

Posted Image

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Voted for "fully playable race". I liked the Orcs in Morrowind. I'd likely be more interested in playing a race like that than Elf or Dwarf.

I don't want "Half-Orc" or "Half-Ogre" races unless they're subrace options. I'd prefer a "full" Orc race.

Edited by ddillon, 19 October 2012 - 07:52 PM.

• .Leif. likes this

Gurkog

Gurkog

Tactical Response Unit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 242 posts
I wouldn't mind Orcs if they aren't the stereotyped 'evil-bad guy' race. That is just way over-used. I would not mind having the elves be the evil bastages that I can smash with mallets and choke them with their own entrails.... elf genocide *drool*.
  • sirchet likes this

Nerei

Nerei

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would not mind having orcs added to the game, they can add something.
I am not sure what they could/should be like, it would really depend on the setting as a whole and I do not feel I have enough information about that to start playing race designer.
I would really hope that if they add them though they become more than evil low level enemy worth roughly 65xp, that would be a near complete waste of them and they might as well be replaced with brigands.
Playable or not, evil or not, I do not mind either way if it is done well.

So yes to orcs as a well defined races with their own culture, no to orcs as cheap enemies.

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would love to be able to play an Orc, just don't make them anything like the Qunari. Orcs are brutal, beastial, and ugly. Green skin, sharp teeth and thick muscles. I would prefer something closer to the classical Tolkenesque depiction of Orcs rather than more watered-down versions. I still very much appreciate how the Orisimer are depicted in the Elder Scrolls series. Let the subraces of Orc be different tribal cultures.

MoobooMagoo

MoobooMagoo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm all for more race choices as long as they have an interesting back story.

Even better if those race choices had an impact in the way different people reacted to you.
  • .Leif. likes this

Coincidence

Coincidence

High Ordinator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Maybe the Warcraft RTS series and Morrowind influenced me... But I like orcs who are as developed as anyone else, and can be good or evil. It seems much rarer, which would make PE more interesting to me. Perhaps some racist persecution going on by other races who think Orcs are just mindless beasts.

Barothmuk

Barothmuk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
Absolutely. One of my favourite types of character to roleplay is the ostracized half-orc who is incapable of fitting into either human society or orcish society.

The only problem I have with implementing orcs is the fear that they'll try the all too common trope of "subverting" the orcs in an attempt to make them different. I don't want a race of sophisticated, noble, warriors. What I want is a race of primitive, barbaric, brutes with crude weaponary and a love of violence who are hated by all.

sirchet

sirchet

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd like to see a wide range of Orcs and Half Orcs, just like people some are good and some are evil, so ... some would be friends and some would be adversaries, but you decide which.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts
How about a "Yes" option? Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes.

sirchet

sirchet

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Orcs hostile.
Like this one. In the game they will be far and isometric

Posted Image

What do you mean by "far and isometric"?
No offense meant, but I'm curious as to what I'm not understanding. ;)

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
No, the less derivative of Tolkien this game is, the better.

I see this thread tagged "baberians," is that a new class of hair-trimming savages? They burst forth from the forests, shears and razors in hand, and cleave the rich beards of innocent dwarves until they are as well coiffed as Alexander himself?

Edited by AGX-17, 24 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Fimbul

Fimbul

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes put'em all in! Orcs, dragons, fairies, hobbits and pokemons and don't ever dare try something new! ;)

Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes put'em all in! Orcs, dragons, fairies, hobbits and pokemons and don't ever dare try something new! ;)

Please try something new. But don't try something new and label it as something old and expect us to get the subtle differences without some really thorough documentation.
  • Jarmo likes this

Uszi

Uszi

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah not green orcs. Let's go straight Tolkein. I think all Orc characters should be cannibals obsessed with violence. I think they should be intelligent, but malicious, and if playable, even well intentioned Orc characters are never trusted or loved by the general populace.

The fighting Uruk-Hai are honestly my favorite part of LotR. Lurtz is the highlight of the first movie.
  • .Leif. likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orc, orcs, race, races, warriors, barberians, tribe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users