Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orcs - discussion

orc orcs race races warriors barberians tribe

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Orcs (343 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see orcs in the game ?

1. Yes, but only as evil common monsters. (57 votes [16.62%])

Percentage of vote: 16.62%

2. Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3. (125 votes [36.44%])

Percentage of vote: 36.44%

3. Yes- but only if there will by other races like halfogres etc. (40 votes [11.66%])

Percentage of vote: 11.66%

4. NO !!! (121 votes [35.28%])

Percentage of vote: 35.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Orcs are cool, especially as a playable race (Arcanum did it really well) but not like enemies (no NWN 2-style orc caves FFS). On the other hand, we have enough traditional fantasy races already. Better make something more original that will fit in PE setting.

Then why allways wen it comes (to bring something new) it comes to orc, for exaple dwarfes and elf are overused way more then them expecially as playable race. Why we don't have some kind of Na'vi people (blu furs from Avatar) insead of Elves they are simmillar but somekind of Na'vi like creatures are waaaay more original then tipical Elves.

I whoulden't mind blue elf let's say night or water elves. But WHY we are overdoing the same race over, over and over again and worst thing that elves from D&D, Arcanum, tolkien etc. Al amlous the same always sugary goood, alway beatufull.

The only original adaptation tu elves in las years appear in WITCHER where elves where discriminatied, living in "Non-human ghettos" and fighting with human opressors etc. And humans and elves hate each oother.

The Dragon Age Orgin adapted simillar idea (almost like in half of production they thought about it) but not so good.

Why Replace ORCS ?! Replace ELVES !!! AAA For the HORDE !!!

Posted Image

Edited by ArchBeast, 11 October 2012 - 06:27 AM.

jivex5k

jivex5k

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Personally I hate seeing orcs that are labeled something else.
Fighting the darkspawn...that was lame man. I'd rather have had traditional enemies, darkspawn were just ugly and I felt less joy slaughtering them.
I want to fight the old-school fantasy monsters in this old-school fantasy rpg, not some renamed slightly different or just plain weird monsters.
I'm fine with having every cliche' monster possible in this game.
Give me a talking dragon that guards it's treasure with riddles!
I digress....
I hope orcs make it in the game one way or another. I'd love to see them as enemies only, but if they are in the game at all that's good enough for me.
  • Caligula Dances and AlexDeLarge like this

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Personally I hate seeing orcs that are labeled something else.
Fighting the darkspawn...that was lame man. I'd rather have had traditional enemies, darkspawn were just ugly and I felt less joy slaughtering them.

I think that darspawn as a race also had potential but Bioware distroyded it. Making this race some king of, hybrid between orc, undead, demon, serial rapist and not thinking ant or robots. Sorry the ARCHDEMON buuuuuu..... some dragon on hang-over or after bomb encounter leading armis of easy kills, they distroyed potention of that race, even putting supermutants from fallout whould be better. Some mutaded dragon as a ARCHEVIL and chick, witch wanded to make some kids with... you to save your life ... hahaha

Even Joker from Batman whould be better :D

By the way if they whant to change name for ORC to something diffrent, wy not change dwarfs or elves ... or even humans. Everywon is cool with elves but when it comes to orc wy must find new name on it or HIDE it so nowone will notice ... wtf ?

Edited by ArchBeast, 11 October 2012 - 06:52 AM.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Meh, orcs.

I'd rather not see them unless they're subverted a bit like the boreal Dwarf ranger... maybe as a native trading civilization with better technology than some of those in the world, with building obsession like Tolkien Dwarves and food obsession like Tolkien Hobbits and a deeply rooted 2-god religion, and maybe you could build reputation. I dunno. If the Tolkien-esque races so far in PE (elves and dwarves) are more original, then orcs must follow the same pattern and not be plain ol' "enemies" for no good reason, which would be dumbing down a bit...
  • Revan91 likes this

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts
ok. 3 day of poll and we have most answers on "Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3." and second "NO !!"

So conclusion is simple peaople whant is dane well or omited like Tale sad.

But i don't know why only few of "No man" respond "Why no ?". I whan't to know why some people don't wan't them or any barberian-like race. So if you are on "NO !!" then at least say why.

Thanks everywon for participading in poll and for thouse who respond.

Edited by ArchBeast, 12 October 2012 - 01:40 AM.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I wouldn't like to play as one.

Don't really care if they're in the game or not. If there's a call for a barbarin style race, it's no difference to me whether they're orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, bugbears, trollkin, ogrespawn, kobolds or whatever. And I'd definitely prefer there's only one race. Variety of just the same kinds of creatures with different name and appearance don't hold appeal.

For the first 10 years after first reading Lord of the Rings it was important every rpg would have them, and it was real annoying when RuneQuest would try to not have orcs at all. But the interest leveled out, even if it took a long time. And I've never been into Warcraft or Warhammer, so there's no interest from that direction either.

So mark me down as "whatever", don't really care either way.
But like asking if I want city guards with halberds and chainmail. Umm.... don't see why not, sure, but I'm not going to fuss over it.

MjH

MjH

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
People say stupid and strong... and I recall Minsk from BG. He was stupid and strong however good. Now tell me how many people prefered to keep Minks in their party? My point is that stupid/smart, strong/intellegent, evil/good, orc/human means nothing. The story behind and character features make fun play. Culture is important and what makes difference as many said.

And Orc race has a good seed in it to develop a good culture. I can think about Dothraki tribes from A Song of Ice and Fire for instance. IMHO it will be much harder to develop new reace from scratch. So I support jivex5k completely.

So I voted Yes - fully playable.

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

People say stupid and strong... and I recall Minsk from BG. He was stupid and strong however good. Now tell me how many people prefered to keep Minks in their party? My point is that stupid/smart, strong/intellegent, evil/good, orc/human means nothing. The story behind and character features make fun play. Culture is important and what makes difference as many said.

Haha.. When i first encoter Minsk i thougt that he is half-orc. Even his "Space-hamster" were perfect for this race. You see someone looking as a monster and then hi jump with "Space-Hamster" wrrrrrrrrrr.... not my hamster... not my hamster ...wrrrrr hehe

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts
Information from this forum, from Live Q&A

the other race we haven't talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat... different, but they are still a bipedal race. we're still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they're in a good place.

Something like Qunari ? :D I only hope they at least are simmillar to half-orcs :can hold two--handed weapons in 1 hand and some kind of bushido/ qunari like moral code :D

Edited by ArchBeast, 12 October 2012 - 02:59 PM.

UncleBourbon

UncleBourbon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm not sure how to vote. Basically, I'd like to see them as a sort of dead or dying race - a remnant of ages past. Still some wandering around, but generally being very old and as such much wiser than we've come to think of orcs as.

Kallith

Kallith

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Sevyerrep
  • Kickstarter Backer
I liked a lot the orcs from Arcanum, and those from warcraft 3.
This was a welcome change from the "always (chaotic) evil low level enemy"

So YES, for orcs as a coherent race (maybe tribal / shamanistic), even if it is not a playable race.
  • .Leif. likes this

Tusck

Tusck

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would have chosen the option where Orcs are NPCs who are semi-civilized in that they will talk to you if your rep is high with them, but are chaotic and full of fury.... but it didn't exist.
  • Odglok likes this

Vandoon

Vandoon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like orcs in game however personally I would be unlikely to play one.

Calmar

Calmar

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I do not very much like orcs to be depicted as honourable warriors . This usually involves plots around the lines of 'society loathes them, but Player is smart and can easily see that they're just misunderstood'. That's like creating a race of infernal fiends, but making them non-evil - what would be the point?

To me, I believe orcs should be wretched, evil and cunning minions, or a ruthless, butal and evil fighting force. If a setting has to have orcs, then they should be orcs and not some attempt to turn the stereotype upside down.
  • FlintlockJazz and Slaunyeh like this

Slaunyeh

Slaunyeh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh gosh, pet peeve incoming:

IF orcs were to be included, I'd like them to be orcs. The word bring some expectations with it, and if you try to be all hip and 'oh-gosh-look-at-how-different-we-are' about it, everyone just ends up confused. Are orcs primitive brutes? Are they honourable samurai? Maybe they are both because half our writing staff didn't get the memo!

If you want to have orcs, they should be, well, orc-y. If you want something unique and special and different, but vaguely orc-inspired... go ahead. Just do everyone a favour and don't call them orcs.

There. I didn't rant for twenty pages. I call that a win! ;)
  • FlintlockJazz, Jarmo, Hertzila and 1 other like this

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I say have an orc-like race but don't make them evil. Warlike and agressive yes, evil no.

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Oh gosh, pet peeve incoming:

IF orcs were to be included, I'd like them to be orcs. The word bring some expectations with it, and if you try to be all hip and 'oh-gosh-look-at-how-different-we-are' about it, everyone just ends up confused. Are orcs primitive brutes? Are they honourable samurai? Maybe they are both because half our writing staff didn't get the memo!

If you want to have orcs, they should be, well, orc-y. If you want something unique and special and different, but vaguely orc-inspired... go ahead. Just do everyone a favour and don't call them orcs.

There. I didn't rant for twenty pages. I call that a win! ;)

Yeah we have 24 interpretations of elves and dwarves. Your logic is like "They made them evil so they are evil" ORCs are not created by Tolkien, Elves are not created by Tolkien and Trolles are not created or dicoverd by Tolkien. And your thinking like "orc must be evil and don't change that" is the same logic like "someone crated evil race named orc so why the hell we must be original, let/s just copy and paste everything"

They are from folk adaptations, and this is 1 thing i don't like in P:E Orlans and Aumauas race names, they are not insired, they have no connetions to there name .... (at this moment) we have 1/2 of known game creatures to be adaptations and 1/2 to be Obsidaian Created. I don't like this idea, you will go wiht pure inspirations like Tolkien, or D&D desiners or go with own monsters like Fallout ...

Pope

Pope

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1375 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Call me conservative, but I'd rather have Orcs as a playable race (from a fresh POV) than the new races they're coming up with.

In fantasy, I feel there's only two ways you can go:
- you either re-imagine the traditional races
- or you design all new races (+ human of course)

But hey that's just me.
  • ArchBeast and .Leif. like this

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

ORCs are not created by Tolkien,

Yes they are.
In that there are some earlier references to something of same or similar name, but orcs as we know them (ie. not ghosts or pixies or somesuch) are indeed JRR's creation.
Elves are not, goblins are not, trolls are not.

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

ORCs are not created by Tolkien,

Yes they are.
In that there are some earlier references to something of same or similar name, but orcs as we know them (ie. not ghosts or pixies or somesuch) are indeed JRR's creation.
Elves are not, goblins are not, trolls are not.

as what ? Tolkien sad that orcs are elves changed by the evil (Morgoth) and funny is that that he also called them goblins and many times orc and gobiln whar definiction to the same race... if you tell me that he invented goblins i will propalbt die laughting ...

So Tolkien ORC creation was not only incomplete but also shallow and never again adapted the same whay, there where in his books only for exciuse of fighting. If not orcs there will be Yugoi, Aumaha, demons, vampires, trolls, goblins, hobgoblins etc. (and by the whay tolkien orc are more simmillar to hobgoblins or bugbear from d&D)

He in whole his carrier never mention about orc female (dwarve female to propably) in my opinion he was bad writher

D&D orcs are diffrent, Warcraft orc are diffrent, Warhammers orcs are diffrent, Tokien orc are diffrent. An when someone tells me that orcs are only bad its only shows his narrowminded and not knowing the subject.

Edited by ArchBeast, 19 October 2012 - 04:31 AM.

• AgentOrange likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orc, orcs, race, races, warriors, barberians, tribe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users