Orcs  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see orcs in the game ?

• Yes, but only as evil common monsters.
    • Yes - fully playable race with good background. Something like green qunari. "from Dragon Age" or orcs from Warcraft 3.
    • Yes- but only if there will by other races like halfogres etc.
    • NO !!!

I think orcs should be as intelligent as other races but they should act dumb to trick people into lowering their guard. So for example, rich merchants would hire orcs as body guards for secret trade negotiations thinking that the orcs would be too dumb to take advantage of that kind of sensitive information but then the orcs would use that insider knowledge to make smart investments.

But isn't it somehow unrealistic ? Entire race that decided that they should act dumb so they can fool other races, I like idea that they are inteligent but are consdier dumber, but rather then making them act I would make them race of army guys, not a bunch of savages, but rather their whole culture center around cult of army something like Prussia during reign of Frederick William I

. Therefore typical orc would easily accept orders, and woudn't think to much about because it was order, and because of this they would be consider slightly dumber culture.

The entire race wouldn't act dumb all the time. They wouldn't act dumb in their own cities/nation. It's only when they go out into other nations that they pretend to be dumb. Since orcs look brutish and animalistic, most other races just assume that they're not very smart. There would also be a lot of people, especially merchants and business people, who are in on the conspiracy and help maintain it because they benefit a lot from it too.

Always thought of Orcs being a species that devolved over a time, which happened to be true whn you read in Silmarilion that Orcs are "twisted" Elves. I would like to see that connection in the PE world. If all species originate in that world they should have some connection betwean them, especially if there are half of evrything. In witcher one finds out that at some point in time more "parallel dimensions" kind of clashed. Acually it appears that humans seem to be "otherwordly" presance in the world as well, next to most monsters one is hunting. So that is nice twist.

But other fantasy games like The Elder Scrolls have already done that. That's why P:E doesn't need orcs. Orcs in TES are the exact same thing, a type of "fallen" or "corrupted" elves. As a general rule, if it has been done or exists in The Elder Scrolls, it should not be done or exist in P:E.

Also, why are gnolls or bears always portrayed as ignorant beasts in D&D, they should be playable races equally as intelligent as humans!

In other words, this entire topic would have been much better crafted as: "I am hoping that P.E. will include some sort of 'noble savage' race; thoughts?" You keep asking why orcs are portrayed as they are in D&D, etc. and the answer is simply that they are fictional creations that were made to be as they are, be it stupid oafs or otherwise. I might as well request that elves go from being organized, intelligent being to being ignorant savages. I'm not confused as to why D&D portrays elves or halflings as they do, because it's a fantasy game wherein they chose to portray them this way. Not trying to be harsh, just a suggestion that you may want to consider changing the wording/topic @ArchBeast.

Playable orcs that are as intelligent as humans? No thanks. If the lore supports it, then I guess I don't really care, but even if the lore did support it, it would be a very forced decision to change orcs into being something appealing as a playable race. Essentially it would be creating a new race and giving it the name of an existing race in fantasy games in order to appease a niche group of people that want to play as an orc (and to change them considerably from what they've seen in other games, meaning that they're not really "orcs" anymore).

Including a race in P.E. resembling some sort of 'noble savage' archetype? Absolutely, knock yourself out.

• Like 2

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Though we've focused a lot on Orcs' alignment and culture, the question of intelligence begs a bigger question: if Orcs are going to be in PE, what primary attribute bonuses/penalties do you want them to have?

I'm not familiar with 4E D&D, but most computer RPGs have aimed for a balanced set of primary attribute adjustment, so that the net effect is 0. So dwarves commonly recieve a bonus to constitution and an equal penalty to charisma, for instance. We don't know for sure if PE will go with this format, but it's been standard for their past games. How do you guys see their base stats differing from humans?

Personally, I see them having bonuses to strength and willpower/discipline, with penalties to intelligence and charisma. Of course, all of these stats may not even be applicable to PE (particularly charisma based on what I've read), but speculating is fun.

+3 Strength, +3 Constitution, –3 Intelligence

Strong penalties for fighting in sunlight

Strong social penalties (racism)

Anyhow that's assuming that PE uses the traditional D&D stats model, which I have a feeling they aren't going to be using given they're making the game system up from scratch.

I think orcs should be as intelligent as other races but they should act dumb to trick people into lowering their guard. So for example, rich merchants would hire orcs as body guards for secret trade negotiations thinking that the orcs would be too dumb to take advantage of that kind of sensitive information but then the orcs would use that insider knowledge to make smart investments.

But isn't it somehow unrealistic ? Entire race that decided that they should act dumb so they can fool other races,

Some kind of collective consciousness would solve this issue nicely. Also, we'd get an orc hivemind, which, frankly, sounds awesome.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Could we skip on the blizzard orc and have a nice steaming plate of fighting Uruk-Hai, with a good side order of Evil Virtues, sprinkled with Villainous Valour for taste. Hold the Always Chaotic Evil, but maybe we'll go for a little Always Lawful Evil for afters.

Quoth Ugluk: `Meat's back on the menu, boys!`

• Like 2

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

Arcanum orcs, nuff said, that orc with the suit and monocle was legendary! Also had some interesting real world parallels, perhaps as this game is set in a slightly less advanced society (i think) we could have some Orcs as slaves and some as tribes yet to be conquered.

I did find it interesting that in Arcanum the Orcs weren't inherently stupid, they were just bred that way through slavery and a lack of education.

All races, in every game/story/fantasy setting etc. are fantastic in one way or another. Orcs always suit the fantasy RPG BUT it all depends on the story, maybe they could be in there as a small band somewhere.

BUT it depends on the story. If they won't fit and are just thrown in it will be annoying.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

• 1 year later...

NO !!

I've had enough orcs in games- I'd like to have one without !

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.