Josh was kind enough to take some time out and grant me an interview. You can find it here.

I particularly loved his answer about where he derives some of his inpiration (outside of games) for Project Eternity.

I also found a Chris Avellone interview conducted by "Obsolete Gamer". Not all of it is specific to PE but I'm guessing people here will appreciate it just the same. It does give some remarkable insight into how Chris goes about blowing our minds.

Edited by Shadeheart
  • Like 8

(WH- What are you doing out of my chest and posting on message boards?! :p Next thing I know my lungs will be strolling off to grab chips or something.)

“A beginning is a very delicate time.”

Did he just quote Dune?

Interesting interview, especially seeing how much research goes into developing the world. It's nice to know that they take a close look at how things may have been in similar real world time periods and the like.

(WH- What are you doing out of my chest and posting on message boards?! :p Next thing I know my lungs will be strolling off to grab chips or something.)

“A beginning is a very delicate time.”

Did he just quote Dune?

Interesting interview, especially seeing how much research goes into developing the world. It's nice to know that they take a close look at how things may have been in similar real world time periods and the like.

I believe he did. That bit about how friction between cultures fuels a lot of his creative process has me really excited.

What characterizes a good RPG?

"JS: A sense of danger and uncertainty, rollercoaster difficulty, a feeling of discovery, full party control, a lot of options."

Sawyer, I love you!

"Since the year is winding down, I’m really looking forward to [....] Dishonored and Assassin’s Creed III."

Same here, Josh. Those will be my first comfort games on the way to PE.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Personally, I take a lot of inspiration from history. Because Project Eternity is set during an era of exploration and colonization, I’m looking at the interactions, violent and otherwise, between colonizing and colonized cultures. I’m interested in exploring daily friction and the difficulties that people run into when they try to live in the area between two (or more) cultures. There are famous “great men of history” examples like T.E. Lawrence, but I’m more interested in figures of lesser notoriety like the Italian Jesuit Matteo Ricci or Jean Baptiste Charbonneau, the son of Sacagawea. Also, I find some of the more contemporary “reverse” colonization trends like the French Congo’s La SAPE movement fascinating. I’m also starting to look in more detail at the state of epistemology and metaphysics in the medieval world prior to the rise of humanist thought, mostly exemplified by writers like Thomas Aquinas and William of Ockham. The printing press doesn’t exist yet in the world of Project Eternity and academic disciplines still tend to be elitist and exclusionary. Popular movements, on the rare occasion that they do occur, tend to be driven by passion and basic human needs rather than any sort of widespread philosophical movement.

This game will be great. I love this quote.

Thanks for the interview!

Edited by Karranthain