Would you like to see a "arena" in PE?

Would you like to see a "arena" in PE  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a "arena" in PE

• Give me multiplayer arena! I like to have a magic duel with my friend.
    • Arena is good. But no multiplayer model, you heretic!
    • Don't care.

Do you remember the funny boxing match in Fallout2? Knock down opponents ,earn bounty and protect your ear :w00t:

Also, in skyrim there was a cool circus. The orc champion has a sad background.

Would you like to see an arena in PE? Chanllenge it alone or with your companions. Beat sword master or foreign beast. Become new legendry champion and earn epic equipments.

Or could we go more far? How about a multiplayer arena?Knock down your classmate,or fight side by side with your little brother. Or you can test the power of your character building, and have an arch mages duel as in BG2. Maybe such an easy internet PVP model just need a very small budget.

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

I wouldn't mind an arena, they're always useful to gather a little more XP and it could tie in with building your reputation. That being said I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they don't include one. Multiplayer however isn't something they're looking at supporting and I'm good with that decision!

• Like 1

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

I wouldn't mind an arena, they're always useful to gather a little more XP and it could tie in with building your reputation. That being said I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if they don't include one. Multiplayer however isn't something they're looking at supporting and I'm good with that decision!

Yes, I'm glad with that decision,too.

But the multiplayer arena is just a small toy added into the game. It's very easy to achieve and can support a good test function to the classes setting, level setting and skill setting. Even it can create varied new combat tactics and support great reference to AI design.

Where is the "No!" in the poll ?

I'm OK for some kind of Modrone Cube, but no arena please...

They usually add nothing to the game experience (my opinion, not everyone's).

Hey, it's unfair :facepalm: The boxing match in Fallout2 support great experience to me!

Yes, I'm glad with that decision,too.

But the multiplayer arena is just a small toy added into the game. It's very easy to achieve and can support a good test function to the classes setting, level setting and skill setting. Even it can create varied new combat tactics and support great reference to AI design.

I see your point but in all honesty I wouldn't want to see them spend the resources on including a multiplayer component. I'd rather have something else. : )

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Yes, I would love an Arena. Could we have a major side quest associated with this? I believe Quest for Glory 5 and Jade Empire did a reasonably good job for Arena style quest where you could see your rankings and those of your opponents.

It would be great if our rival adventurers were also our opponents in the Arena. Could give us a preview of how powerful they are vis-à-vis our PC's party.

Edited by agewisdom
  • Like 1

No to multiplayer, I'd much rather they didn't spend the resources on that. I'm potentially in favour of the arena if it fits in with their vision of the game. However I certainly wouldn't want one shoe-horned in there for the sake of it, so really up to Obsidian if they think it fits and have the time and resources.

I'm not passionate about it, but generally speaking I haven't liked the arenas in games. They're usually easy enough to ignore unless they get tied to the main quest (which I think DAO and JE both did).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes, I would love an Arena. Could we have a major side quest associated with this? I believe Quest for Glory 5 did a reasonably good job for Arena style quest where you could see your rankings and those of your opponents.

It would be great if our rival adventurers were also our opponents in the Arena. Could give us a preview of how powerful they are vis-à-vis our PC's party.

I think we could have a lot of side quests in the arena. Maybe a gladiator become your companion.Or you lead a revolution of gladiators to overthrow the slaveholders. Maybe you meet a evil team and need to have 6 duel with them.The hard decision is which companion should play first.

I think we could have a lot of side quests in the arena. Maybe a gladiator become your companion.Or you lead a revolution of gladiators to overthrow the slaveholders. Maybe you meet a evil team and need to have 6 duel with them.The hard decision is which companion should play first.

A revolution ala Spartacus? Hmmm... could be an interesting quest. I don't want a simple arena where you just fight for cool loot like Kingdom of Amalur. It would be great if there's some political intrigue and battle for influence involved. For instance, as you progress through the levels in the Arena, you could be invited to work under the patronage of competing rival lords. Then it opens up for quests outside of the Arena. Something other than the straightforward fight and get loot style in most Arenas.

A revolution ala Spartacus? Hmmm... could be an interesting quest. I don't want a simple arena where you just fight for cool loot like Kingdom of Amalur. It would be great if there's some political intrigue and battle for influence involved. For instance, as you progress through the levels in the Arena, you could be invited to work under the patronage of competing rival lords. Then it opens up for quests outside of the Arena. Something other than the straightforward fight and get loot style in most Arenas.

Totally agree. If it's just a single-player arena, of course there should be many quests and stories add into it. No one need a place just for fighting and loot.

For example, we could choice to become champion, or become the big boss who own the arena, who could buy new beasts and slaves for new combat show, then make money from tickets. Or we can be employed to be a coach, who teach young gladiators and earn salary. Before a difficult battle, we can poison opponent's water, or trap his weapon. Even we can find a exile prince in the arena, and help him come back to his country where beyond hundreds of snow mountains. ..............

I have ton of ideas about how to design an interesting arena. A storyless arena is a crap design such as a storyless dungeon. I'm sure if there will be a arena in PE, there will be great fun in it :dancing:

Yeah, sure, but not that boring 5 levels of arena where you plough through the first 3-4 without any problem. And the last is fairly hard and then you are done.

There need to be more too it if they add it. And no PVP multiplayer arena, I don't want that in PE. If you wanna PVP, go play something else.

I really liked what previous poster wrote ^^

sigpic14647_3.gif

I didn't vote, because a plain "no" was missing from the list of alternatives. This has been countless times, and next to none of those has been in any good. Instad of an arena, I'd like to see well-composed parties with extremy varied agendas trying to seek my party out.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would love to see some sort of Gladiator Pit. It can be done in many ways. Most interesting way of doing it (imo) would be like the movie Gladiator does it. You become captured, kidnapped, thrown into the pits and you have to survive. Meanwhile outside the Gladiator someone is trying to save you, or you could outright try to escape, take down your jailors and flee the pits. That'd be an interesting way to do it.

Great Arena's have been implemented as well, but often times they fall short only because "Why did it end?". I really enjoyed the Arena in Fable (the first one), and was a bit disappointed I couldn't grind more in it. I enjoyed the Oblivion Arena too, though at the same time it disgusted me.

Games like Tales of Destiny (my favorite game of all time. The only game I've finished from start to finish countless times 5-6 times I think?) and Star Ocean utilize arena's great too but they are way more "skill-based".

How do you keep an Arena both challenging, and consistent in a tactical RPG like P:E?

Where is the "No!" in the poll ?

I'm OK for some kind of Modrone Cube, but no arena please...

They usually add nothing to the game experience (my opinion, not everyone's).

Hey, it's unfair :facepalm: The boxing match in Fallout2 support great experience to me!

I promise I'll play through Fallout 1 & 2 before P:E comes to my mailbox !

In my opinion these have been overdone in recent games actually.

This.

That said, as always, I don't mind if they're included in the game as part of an optional quest, or some such. Just don't want to "have" to do one. So...I guess..."Don't care?" :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As a standalone random place to battle enemies for prizes... no.

As an uninspired sidequest to beat X named losers to win a belt/prove your status as a bad dude... no.

As part of something more interesting (I need you to find out about my brother. He signed up to fight in the arena but I was told he died somehow before fighting a single match. If you become a gladiator you can access the restricted parts of the arena and search for clues!)... maybe

-I stole my idea (more or less) from the 'Age of Worms' 3e adventure path from Dragon magazine. The arena idea was one of the few things I liked about that campaign, esp the way that part of the story ended.