Crossroads Keep style castle for Project Eternity

Hello Project Eternity Forums :)

I was just wondering if anyone else really enjoyed building up Crossroads Keep in Neverwinter Nights 2 and would like to see something similar incorporated into this fantastic project. I loved being in charge of my own little castle that protected other small villages in the area and that you got to see all the changes that your upgrades bought about. I loved having to make interesting choices that came up in petitions from NPCS. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the only role playing game that ever let me feel I was actually in charge of running something and that it made a difference.

I really enjoyed randomly running in to one of my patrols I had sent out which made it much more realistic that those patrols I sent out were actually doing something on screen as oppose to off. I don't post in many forums and mainly stay in the sidelines reading interesting topics but the fact that the game is supported by gamers made me feel that our input will be heard :)

I am a Kickstarter supporter of $20 at the moment but as soon as I can save some more money I wish to go to the $165 mark which means more hours at work for me :p

So basically I was wondering if anyone else here on the forums really enjoyed Crossroads Keep and would like to see something similar included in Project Eterenity?

Thank you for your time and consideration :)

P.S Is there any time limit on the kickstarter campaign as with X-mas coming I won't be able to pledge any more until Feb 2013 :p

Edited by Hakkira
  • Like 7

Agreed, although I'd like to see some more options to mold it according to your class. A combination between Crossroads Keep and BG2's varying strongholds if you will.

Say we get a castle. It would be nice if we could upgrade it with different modules, such as a library (for having your scholars research new spells or upgrade existing ones) or a blacksmith (for improving your equipment), etc.

The only restriction to adding these modules would not be the player's class, but his resources. Fighters would be able to add a library if they so desire (to upgrade their companions' spells).

What it comes down to is yet again choice, choice, choice. I want to roleplay my stronghold in a different way in each playthrough (like in BG2), even though I won't mind if the stronghold is materially the same each time (like in NWN2).

• Like 3

I loved Crossroads Keep. The mini-game in upgrading and adding additional wings in the keep was great fun. And in the end, you were rewarded for all your efforts with the invasion on the keep. Dragon Age: Awakenings tried to do something similar but it was less fleshed out than Crossroads Keep. Felt a bit let down. One good area of Awakenings was trying for find resources (wood, stone) i.e. mines to upgrade the Keep.

I'm really hoping for a Crossroad Keep style stronghold with even more side quests associated to it.

• Like 1

I'm a huge NWN2 fan, but Crossroads Keep were'n that fun to me. Like Rjshae says, it's more fun to have places that depend at least on class. Perhaps there can be a few options. If I don't want to have a keep I can have a creepy crypt instead or a spooky grove deep in some Mirkwood-like forest.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Stronghold depending on class would be hard to do... with 11 classes, we're looking at potentially 11 types of different strongholds. What would be more workable would be a more customizable stronghold which would largely depend on the PC class. This would make more sense.

A wizard could customize the stronghold by diverting resources into a research tower whereas a fighter may establish a training centre for fighting techniques. At least it would be a good compromise.

• Like 1

Something similar to Crossroads keep, Vigil's Keep, Battlehorn Castle. many games have done it and done it well.

To be honest I was expecting a Stronghold stretch goal, but at the rate this project is going getting a 2.9 and 3 million stretch goal plus achieving it is not impossible.

I never cared about strongholds. If they include them they should be a major part of the story (like in M&M VII) not some place you go to get gold and do some quests.

Agreed, which is why I prefer the NWN2 approach over that of BG2 (unless of course Obsidian can figure out a way to integrate all strongholds into the story, which sounds like an awful lot of work). To ensure replayability, I'd suggest different options/quests according to your class.

Stronghold depending on class would be hard to do... with 11 classes, we're looking at potentially 11 types of different strongholds. What would be more workable would be a more customizable stronghold which would largely depend on the PC class. This would make more sense.

It pretty much points down to a choice of class-related strongholds with little customization, or a single-class stronghold with many customizations. Since we are already getting a house, I'm not sure that adding a customizable stronghold would add that much value. Shrug. They'll never be able to please everybody, but maybe the modders can put something in later?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It pretty much points down to a choice of class-related strongholds with little customization, or a single-class stronghold with many customizations. Since we are already getting a house, I'm not sure that adding a customizable stronghold would add that much value. Shrug. They'll never be able to please everybody, but maybe the modders can put something in later?

If they do a stretch goal, I'm pretty sure they'll change the house into a stronghold. Otherwise, it would overlap and just doesn't make sense.

Yes, that's the sweet stuff which I really love.

I think it's to complex to design 11 kinds of stronghold by classes. How about to design 2 kinds of it, one for non-magic classes, one for magic classes. That will be easy to achieve.

Another funny stuff with stronghold, I want to have a knighthood in PE. The feeling is really good to be called "My lord." :ban: Then add a few diplomacy quests, a few conflict and alliance with other strongholds. The game will be cool eough.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Since nobody answered this one...

P.S Is there any time limit on the kickstarter campaign as with X-mas coming I won't be able to pledge any more until Feb 2013 :p

This Kickstarter ends in 6 days. At that point the amount you pledged will be charged from your credit card and that's more or less the end of it.

However, developers usually leave the campaign open until the game is finished - for example, Wasteland 2 was kickstarted in April, but you can still support them through their website. I assume Obsidian will do the same.

Yes I assume you can support them even after the Kickstarter is over. However I am thinking the kickstarter tiers and rewards will no longer be available. But I believe they will offer portions of the rewards as incentives for people to continue to support them.

As for the stronghold, whenever I play these big adventure style RPGs I like to have a stronghold. Even if I do not use it, I like to know I have one if I wish to use it. I would prefer several choices of strongholds with options to upgrade them to provide different functions and services. This adds replayability so that is a plus for me.

Meh. No interest really in a Stronghold. We already got our house. The one in NWN2 was cool how they integrated it into the main plot though. And the ones you got in BGII were neat, but made no sense considering your first main objective is to find your half-sister. Not running around gaining and building up a stronghold.

I think it's to complex to design 11 kinds of stronghold by classes. How about to design 2 kinds of it, one for non-magic classes, one for magic classes. That will be easy to achieve.

Another funny stuff with stronghold, I want to have a knighthood in PE. The feeling is really good to be called "My lord." :ban: Then add a few diplomacy quests, a few conflict and alliance with other strongholds. The game will be cool eough.

But knighthood is not enough for such addressing as correct addressing for knight is Sir or Dear Sir. You should be at least Lord Channelor, Lord Mayor or something like that .

:dancing:

Meh. No interest really in a Stronghold. We already got our house. The one in NWN2 was cool how they integrated it into the main plot though. And the ones you got in BGII were neat, but made no sense considering your first main objective is to find your half-sister. Not running around gaining and building up a stronghold.

That kinda went for every sidequest in BG2 though.

• Like 1

Dragon Age Awakenings tried to implement something like that. Sadly, with the limited time they had to push out the expansion out the door, it wasn't all that well fleshed out. Maybe PE can have something like that in the sequel.

That kinda went for every sidequest in BG2 though.

Very true. I wish they were integrated a bit more organically.

Agreed, although I'd like to see some more options to mold it according to your class. A combination between Crossroads Keep and BG2's varying strongholds if you will.

Say we get a castle. It would be nice if we could upgrade it with different modules, such as a library (for having your scholars research new spells or upgrade existing ones) or a blacksmith (for improving your equipment), etc.

The only restriction to adding these modules would not be the player's class, but his resources. Fighters would be able to add a library if they so desire (to upgrade their companions' spells).

What it comes down to is yet again choice, choice, choice. I want to roleplay my stronghold in a different way in each playthrough (like in BG2), even though I won't mind if the stronghold is materially the same each time (like in NWN2).

I'm a huge NWN2 fan, but Crossroads Keep were'n that fun to me. Like Rjshae says, it's more fun to have places that depend at least on class. Perhaps there can be a few options. If I don't want to have a keep I can have a creepy crypt instead or a spooky grove deep in some Mirkwood-like forest.

Make it work more like the castles in the Stronghold game series. Then you can choose to be either a good or an evil lord depending on your preference. I think it's important that evil characters have the possbility to be cruel to their people.

I quote all of these, because between them all, it's all that I want to see. As for those who do not want a stronghold: Unlike NWN2, it could be entirely optional in the game. You don't want it, go do something else. And from the way donations are still going strong, I'm sure their will be a rather long list of something else's to do.

• Like 2

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.