Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Personal Rant Concerning Character Customization

character creation replay value classes races skills feats abilities customization

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Feldoth

Feldoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the gist of the first few tl;dr posts is "I want to make my character look super unique and cool so all of the ZERO OTHER PLAYERS in the game can see I'm a special snowflake and not just an NPC." Which is odd considering it's an isometric game where your characters are likely to be low-detail compared to waifu simulators like Oblivion and Skyrim.

Don't get me wrong, I like to make my characters look the way I want, but it's not the most important thing in the game. Besides, with Obsidian signing on with the *shudder* Nexus modding network, you'll no doubt get more opportunities than you ever thought imaginable to customize your (female) characters. Making your waifu look like a tramp should not be a priority for the Obsidian dev team.

You would do yourself a favor to actually read (or at least skim) the posts you reply to, rather than spewing completely irrelevant hate across the screen - you're welcome to disagree with me, or anyone else here, but at least know what you're disagreeing with. Your post is unintentionally hilarious.

light487

light487

Parrot Keeper of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The only real customisation I want are the basic things.. like skin colour, hair colour, maybe height and weight.. just the most obvious things that would be plainly obvious. Then of course I want to see armor changes, clothing changes and all that happen within the game. If I want a fat friar tuck human and spindly, under norished dwarf.. then I want to eb able to do that. I don't care about the finer details like facial expressions or how big their nose is because 99% of the time I won't see it.. but being able to see fat little friar tuck hiding behind a tree as he casts a spell, or spindly little dwarf running around chopping at knees.. that would mean so much to me and how I felt about my characters.

Fimbul

Fimbul

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm with you: Whole days were spent customizing characters, even drawing their portraits and writing biographys, just for them to be put on a shelve and for me to continue midgame with an other save. :facepalm:

For my main play-through I tend to recreate a likeness of myself; often times that wasn't possible due to me having a mohawk. Most character creators, if at all, have a thin, spiky one or something that is too bushy and rather looks like a little dog. I had a short mohawk - just a strip of hair and the rest shaven bald. This litlle detail drove me crazy.
Today I have a job and can't walk around with mohawk at work anyway, so that's out of the world. :lol:
  • Feldoth likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character creation, replay value, classes, races, skills, feats, abilities, customization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users